PDA

View Full Version : OrbX Central Rocky Mountains CRM released!

flaviossa
July 15th, 2011, 05:03
Flightsim Store made available the CRM package for the pre-paid customers. 4.2Gb of pure beauty :icon_lol:

Go get it!

Rimshot
July 15th, 2011, 05:14
It's available for everybody. Prepay only means you can purchase with 15% off, which is now no longer possible since it's been released :salute: Only 3,96 GB at my end.

vora
July 15th, 2011, 09:19
Wait until you unpack it.... 5.7 GB :icon_lol:

Off to Yellowstone right now.

Sundog
July 15th, 2011, 11:11
Downloading...but I won't get to try it until tomorrow night. I can't wait to see the pics people are posting by then. :)

Holger Sandmann
July 15th, 2011, 11:48
Hi guys,

for people using Jim Dhaenens' KMUO scenery add-on I've posted compatibility information here: http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/34727-kmuo-mountain-home-afb-by-jim-dhaenens-compatibility-with-ftx-crm/

FYI, original release SOH thread: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?52374-Mountain-Home-AFB-(KMUO)-Releases&highlight=mountain+home

Thanks again to Jim for the nice work on the base and bombing range structures!

Cheers, Holger

rwmarth
July 15th, 2011, 11:49
How does Yellowstone/Grand Tetons look in the package?

Ty89m
July 15th, 2011, 12:10

+1, very interested in Bozeman, MT and/or Helena, MT as that's where I graduated and now currently live! Been looking forward to this for a long time!

Ty

Mithrin
July 15th, 2011, 13:11
Downloading. Looking forward to fly into some of the trickier bushstrips!

flaviossa
July 15th, 2011, 13:56
Very nice! Orbx is the best!
http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshots/images/6582011_7_15_18_16_17_276.jpg

This one is KMUO with orbx package installed:
http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshots/images/5442011_7_15_17_32_49_117_tn.jpg (http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshots/view.php?filename=5442011_7_15_17_32_49_117.jpg)
And another one:
http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshots/images/7742011_7_15_18_16_27_122_tn.jpg (http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshots/view.php?filename=7742011_7_15_18_16_27_122.jpg)

Dain Arns
July 15th, 2011, 15:07

+1 for having 'Old Faithful' on a timer.
The Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone looks great too.
But then I went north and the park headquarters, Mammoth, is non-existent? Huh?

I realize again, traveling the country side further north through the Paradise Valley, that no small towns exist in CRM just like NRM.
No Emigrant, Pray, Miner, or Corwin Springs.
The valley looks like a vast wilderness area, no signs of ranches, or housing.
In fact, in the real world, lots of folks do live there.

At this point I can now assume, seeing this lack of small towns again just like in NRM, that this is an Orbx development policy?
Not to include towns with populations under 1000, or so many folks per square mile, in the urban landclass layer?

That's really a shame, because so many of these towns dot the landscape of Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming.
They exist along major highways every few miles almost, almost like bread crumbs leading you back home.
But to each his own I guess.
Obviously I'll need to come up with my own solution to this issue for my personal satisfaction.

Otherwise the coverage in all of the other landclasses seem to be spot on, especially the roads this time.
Not asking for total realism, but what has been done otherwise is very satisfactory to me.
Living and recreating in this area most of my life, I was able to spot many landmarks.
It is fun seeing it recreated in FSX, and being able to fly over these areas.
I like the product overall, I'll recommend it, but still just can't figure out why Orbx won't include small towns and acerages in these areas. :blind:

Dain Arns
July 16th, 2011, 05:13
+2 for the photo-blending of Big Sky, Montana! :salute:
Lone Peak looks great, right down to the addition of the Tram.

All those misspent hours skiing the Liberty Bowl. :icon_lol:

Kiwikat
July 16th, 2011, 07:21
For now this region has rendered all of my FTX sceneries useless. Just posted on their forum hoping that someone will have an answer for me. The loading times are over 11 minutes and when it does load everything is glitchy.

I really hope I don't have to reinstall FSX but I feel like that's what I'm going to have to do. :frown:

Mithrin
July 17th, 2011, 01:49
Some area are indeed hard on frames. It's a pity to hear that they don't include many/some of the small towns. I wonder if they plan to still put those in later. And I hope they don't rush these big packages. Anyways, it's still a lot better than default! I'm happy with it!

DaveKDEN
July 17th, 2011, 09:54
Anyone mind posting some pics in and around Sunriver, OR - both the airport (S21) and nearby resort area? Also, some shots around Jackson Hole and the Grand Tetons would be nice.
Thanks in advance.

limjack
July 17th, 2011, 10:06
Looking forward to getting this one since I do so many road trips in this area....In yellowstone when flying low and slow do ya see any bear jams!!!!!:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

Jim

robmw
July 18th, 2011, 04:26
+1 for having 'Old Faithful' on a timer.
The Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone looks great too.
But then I went north and the park headquarters, Mammoth, is non-existent? Huh?

I realize again, traveling the country side further north through the Paradise Valley, that no small towns exist in CRM just like NRM.
At this point I can now assume, seeing this lack of small towns again just like in NRM, that this is an Orbx development policy?
Not to include towns with populations under 1000, or so many folks per square mile, in the urban landclass layer?
I like the product overall, I'll recommend it, but still just can't figure out why Orbx won't include small towns and acerages in these areas. :blind:

Hi,

I've noticed this too, looking at accurate maps of the region (and NRM too as you note). Is it possible that these towns are too small to be rendered accurately in the default FSX landclass system, which is based on 1km squares? I say this because I recently purchased a scenery product for New Zealand (google 'vector landclass') which uses an alternative method of landclass placement using vector polygon techniques (like those used for roads, rivers, coastlines etc) which is supposed to be accurate to 20m. I have the product and believe me it is that accurate!

A combination of such vector techniques with quality terrain textures would be stunning.

Rob W

Naki
July 18th, 2011, 13:20
Hi,

A combination of such vector techniques with quality terrain textures would be stunning.

Rob W

The VLC guys are working on different textures..so watch this space

Holger Sandmann
July 18th, 2011, 14:45
Hi guys,

using polygons on top of the 1.2km x 1.2km landclass grid tiles isn't anything new and we use that approach extensively in the NA regions as well. However, doing so has the major drawback that one loses the blending features of the landclass grid and thus ends up with sharp edges. That's why we generally restrict use of polygons to those areas that have well defined boundaries in the real world as well, like forestry clearcuts, certain agricultural types, wetlands, snowfields, etc.

As pretty much all aspects of FS design, creating a believable landscape simulation requires a careful balance of "hard" data and artistic touch. Assembling a landscape from raw polygons and vectors may have the advantage of spatial fidelity but tends to look more like paint-by-number mosaics than a natural environment.

The problem here is that the human brain is very good at detecting mismatches between simulations and our everyday experiences. For example, probably the most common complaint about the landclass approach (as opposed to photoreal) is about vector roads cutting through features on the landclass textures, like fields or buildings. Thus, we actually remove quite a few urban and rural roads from our raw data to minimize those occurences while at the same time trying to maintain the key features a VFR pilot would use for spatial orientation.

In short, if absolute spatial accuracy is your preference then a photoreal product is probably the better choice. Our approach is to provide a cohesive representation of the overall nature of a given landscape that includes full autogen and also changes throughout the year. And for those locations that are well-known landmarks or simply can't be represented well with the landclass model we blend in local photoreal areas.

Cheers, Holger

limjack
July 18th, 2011, 16:40
:applause: Bought the package today and was just astonished at the beauty you captured in this area. I swear I am right there in fact went to yellowstone last year and today as I was flying over the North entrance it triggered memories of the road I was on all the way into the center of the park. By the way, last year when we got to Old Faithfull we had just missed the eruption of steam...we saw it dwindle away in the distance and today when I arrived in FS it did the same thing. My luck, so went into the lodge for a brew and waited for the next eruption. Once again nice job! Now off to explore a little more.

Jim

YoYo
August 8th, 2011, 13:02
Someone noticed too same? I noticed than I fly over this scenery I have CTD. Check raports, and its error message g3d.dll , something like this: http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/32525-g3d-ctd-regulary/page__hl__g3d.dll__fromsearch__1 .

(http://forum.avsim.net/topic/51591-g3ddll/)