PDA

View Full Version : SU-25 Frogfoot

Daveroo
July 13th, 2011, 12:39
Is there a SU-25 Frogfoot for FSX with a VC? id sure like to see this aircraft in FSX if it isnt...flying truck..or tank as they call it...

classed with the A-10 and IL-2 in my opinion

Warrant
July 13th, 2011, 13:13
Now that is a classic i'd like to see in FSX as well. Funny thing is the Frogfoot is based on an American design; The Northrop YA-9. This aircraft had to compete with the YA-10 in the late sixties and early seventies. We all know the outcome of that......the Warthog won. Less then half a decade later the Soviets launched the prototype of their tankbuster; the SU-25. Classic story of how things were done during the Cold-War. More info regarding the YA-9 here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northrop_YA-9

Daveroo
July 13th, 2011, 13:17
Now that is a classic i'd like to see in FSX as well. Funny thing is the Frogfoot is based on an American design; The Northrop YA-9. This aircraft had to compete with the YA-10 in the late sixties and early seventies. We all know the outcome of that......the Warthog won. Less then half a decade later the Soviets launched the prototype of their tankbuster; the SU-25. More infor regarding the YA-9 here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northrop_YA-9

niiiiice...i had never heard of this..god i love this website and the people here

Cirrus N210MS
July 13th, 2011, 15:36
i have a model of the su25 on my desk :salute:

peter12213
July 13th, 2011, 15:45
We need a Frogfoot but we also despirately need a Fitter IMHO!!

SeanTK
July 13th, 2011, 16:05
A Frogfoot would certainly be great to have! :)

I don't agree with the still prevailing cold-war mindset equating Russian aircraft to "copied from someone else" that seems so prevalent with Western audiences, but I suppose that it's such an ingrained psychological aspect that arguing it would be futile. People will believe what they want to believe, whether there is evidence or not. I guess to many, Russian aviation still consists of low class duplicates of everything, with no independent thought. Rather insulting, but oh well. Just a note to be mindful "Eastern" design doesn't always mean that it's a copy! :)

I've done social experiments in the past when comparing visually similar designs between two "Western" companies, and of course the consensus is that there is no way that they are copies! Yes, I'm aware of the Tu-4 and yes, that is a copy, but I find it hard to reason that most Russian aircraft designed for a very similar mission profile won't come out looking similar to their western counterparts.

Anyway....hopefully we'll see more Russian/Ukranian and "Eastern Bloc" if you will....aircraft in the future for FSX. The recent MiG-21MF (Modernizirovannyy, Forsirovannyy) has been a great start to what is hopefully more "Eastern" aircraft development in the future! It has been sorely needed in FSX!
:wiggle:

Railrunner130
July 13th, 2011, 18:41
I think Kazunori Ito did an SU-25 quite a while back. Search flightsim.com and I think you'll find something. It was for FS9, but I'm sure with some work it could be what you're looking for.

Bjoern
July 14th, 2011, 13:47
Hm...MiG-27...or -23BN...

Less then half a decade later the Soviets launched the prototype of their tankbuster; the SU-25. Classic story of how things were done during the Cold-War.

I doubt that the "copycat" ran through Sukhoi OKB. It's likely that it's more of a coincidence that both sides came up with a superficially slightly similar design for the same tasks.

Astoroth
July 14th, 2011, 13:52
I think Kazunori Ito did an SU-25 quite a while back. Search flightsim.com and I think you'll find something. It was for FS9, but I'm sure with some work it could be what you're looking for.

Ito-san's Frogfoot was one of the few planes of his that I enjoyed flying without any tweaks.