PDA

View Full Version : Area 51 C-17 released!

Felixthreeone
July 10th, 2011, 11:58
http://area51sim.com/index.html

dougal
July 10th, 2011, 12:42
http://area51sim.com/index.html

Wow!

They're like buses & policemen... None at all, then they all arrive together.

Wonder how it compares...?

tommieboy
July 10th, 2011, 12:47
No obvious photo gallery link aside from this one; screen shots might not be the most up to date though......

http://area51sim.com/blog/index.php

Maybe the C-5 patch will be next.....:mixedsmi:

Tommy

Felixthreeone
July 10th, 2011, 13:11
I am going to watch this thread CLOSELY...I am in the market for a C-17, but I am very curious to see what people's opinions/thoughts are on this Area 51 offering. Clearly, it is reasonably priced at $29.95. The competing Virtavia model is $55!!! So, lets see where this goes...and then I may part with some cash:salute:

Bob.sc
July 10th, 2011, 13:48
Me too.

Gdavis101
July 10th, 2011, 14:31
Me three!

LonelyplanetXO
July 10th, 2011, 16:44
me four!

N2056
July 10th, 2011, 16:51
I'm very pleased to know that you guys can count! :jump:
Sorry...couldn't help myself :icon_lol:

Felixthreeone
July 10th, 2011, 16:59
I'm very pleased to know that you guys can count! :jump:
Sorry...couldn't help myself :icon_lol:

...the counting I am interested in (lol) revolves around the $25 difference in price between this rendition and the virtavia offering. But, I can read bunches about the Virtavia bird...I want to know how people like (or don't) this Area 51 plane..

N2056
July 10th, 2011, 17:25
I realize that...I just felt the need for some humor. I hope that's okay :wiggle:

ZsoltB
July 10th, 2011, 21:50
It should also be noted that both simulator (FS9-FSX) works!
Go Aera51!

fsafranek
July 10th, 2011, 22:05
It should also be noted that both simulator (FS9-FSX) works!
Go Aera51!
Some screen shots then? Just curious.
:ernae:

spotlope
July 10th, 2011, 22:17
I don't mean to be critical 'cause I'm sure it's a fine plane, but who in the world tries to sell an FS add-on with zero screenshots? This might be the first FS dev site I've ever visited that doesn't have a gallery of shots for each offering. Also, they need to update the title of the page. The C-17 page as-is says "OH-58D Kiowa". Sometimes "save as" isn't your friend. :icon_lol:

Cag40Navy
July 10th, 2011, 22:27
I have yet to buy any of the C-17 offerings yet until i see both. I may very well end up buying both just for kicks n giggles. Again, time is our friend.... I hope at least.

anthony31
July 10th, 2011, 22:33
You've been reading my mind Bill.

I went to the area51 website after reading the first post and couldn't find any screenshots or much other info (plus I also noticed the title of the page was 0h-58D Kiowa).

So I came back to read the rest of this thread to see if anyone had posted some screenies.

Please Area51, if you want people to buy your stuff let them know what it is they are buying first.

Mithrin
July 10th, 2011, 23:32
LOL what a crappy webpage. They hotlink half of the world but nothing works. If that's a sign of their eye for detail then my eye will detail the hell out of my wallet and keep it safe and warm! :icon_lol:

calypsos
July 10th, 2011, 23:50
Unless there has been a huge lmprovement in their models, I would say the old maxim about 'you get what you pay for' probably holds a lot of water with this model. Would anybody buy any product 'sight unseen'?

Daube
July 11th, 2011, 00:46
We can see some screenshots by clicking on the "blog" link on the top menu.

ZsoltB
July 11th, 2011, 00:48

I have not bought it!

Desert Rat
July 11th, 2011, 00:58

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?55429-Area-51-C-17-Released...

FS9, but close enough?

Jamie

jeansy
July 11th, 2011, 02:05
screen shots here

hae5904
July 11th, 2011, 04:59
Thanks for the link Jeansy.

Must say I join those who wonder 'bout the differences between V & A, mainly the price difference. More important, how do the FPS hold between both product.

Hank

narah
July 11th, 2011, 05:30
Unless there has been a huge lmprovement in their models, I would say the old maxim about 'you get what you pay for' probably holds a lot of water with this model. Would anybody buy any product 'sight unseen'?

I agree, however most products we have, were bought "unflown". Just wanted to mention that, after i had to deal with inadequateness of airfiles and aircraft configs which i haven´t considered possible. No experience with A51 but a lot of with the other one mentioned. Could it be worse?

MDIvey
July 11th, 2011, 06:04
I'm no screenshots artist but here are some for those interested. very pleased. I have Virtavia and now the area 51 and I like both but maybe these might help some of you make up your minds about the area 51 one. Frankly the shots on their site do not do it justice. Only three paints but all done superbly and very fine detailed. Enjoy.

Matt
43108 (http://www.atomic-album.com/showPic.php/146266/c17a.jpg)

Daube
July 11th, 2011, 06:30
Thanks for the screenshots. I see no self-shadowing, does that mean it's a port-over ?

MDIvey
July 11th, 2011, 06:47
No as far as I know its native... I just dont have self shadowing switched on... Just personnal preference... because I dont like it and it seems to have a performance hit. The model I think has bump mapping or some kind of specular finish but I cant say about the self shadows as I dont use them. Sorry to not be of more help on that.

Matt

Felixthreeone
July 11th, 2011, 07:22
Does the HUD work?

awj112
July 11th, 2011, 07:30

Warhorse posted some in the FS2004 forum.

MDIvey
July 11th, 2011, 07:57
I checked the model and it does seem to have self shadowing, and it does look to me to be bumped but checking the DDS textures I cant see any normal maps or anything that I'm familiar with... but anyhow it looks good to me however they've done it.

I just tried switching the HUD on and it works but if you want more details you'll have to get more info from someone more expert than me... at least it seems to show the usual info about airspeed and altitude etc.

Matt

paul day
July 11th, 2011, 07:57
There's a Area51 Canadian repaint on Flightsim already.

Regards Paul Day.

luftwulf
July 11th, 2011, 09:00
I'm no screenshots artist but here are some for those interested. very pleased. I have Virtavia and now the area 51 and I like both but maybe these might help some of you make up your minds about the area 51 one. Frankly the shots on their site do not do it justice. Only three paints but all done superbly and very fine detailed. Enjoy.

Matt

If you had to purchase one, which would you prefer? It appears that the <meta charset="utf-8">Virtavia VC looks better, however which one is more functional? External on both looks nice as well.... THANKS!

MDIvey
July 11th, 2011, 09:21
Sorry but I'm not going to advise others what to buy... there are enough pics out there now and as they get used more feedback will flow and people can make their own minds up as to what they want to buy. I dont regret buying either as I find the C-17 a fascinating aeroplane and my butt is firmly stuck on the fence:jump:

Matt

Warrant
July 11th, 2011, 09:48
Does the HUD work?
Second that question.
I'm very curious about experiences regarding this beauty.

fsafranek
July 11th, 2011, 10:09
screen shots here

Thanks. Are those cockpit shots from FS9 or FSX?

WarHorse47
July 11th, 2011, 15:20
Hi all. Thought I would sneak over here from the FS9 forum to share what I've learned on the Area 51 C-17.

What is not showiing in some of the screenies are the various popup windows for radio, flight planner, etc.

With my install there was no manual. Not a big deal, but it may be challenging for a newcomer trying to figure out how to access the various other panels. With some there are the usual icons, but with others they are activiated by clicking on various parts of the panel.

The hud has two switches on mine. One is for on/off. The other is for light intensity. The 2D is the clearest. The VC is so small I hardly use it (yet) and rely on the MFD.

The sounds are great, and the models and textures are no problem on my old box with FS9. Results may vary, and I can't respond to how it performs on FSX.

The interior model is VC only on my install. IN other words if you go beyond the rear bulkhead, you have no visible support. :icon_lol:

Hope that answers some questions.

--WH

PS: I just downloaded that new Canadian paint, so that's what I'm flying tonite.

Naismith
July 11th, 2011, 15:35
Why would Qatar need a C-17? It's an aircraft bigger than their entire nation, well nearly.

dvj
July 11th, 2011, 15:58
What a strange market this is. Can it really support 2, C-17 models?

WarHorse47
July 11th, 2011, 17:59
Thanks. Are those cockpit shots from FS9 or FSX?Hard to tell. Other than resolution, they look like mine from FS9.

Here is the 2D with various subpanels from FS9:

--WH

Merlin216
July 11th, 2011, 20:40
The exterior looks nice to me, VC not so much. It doesn't look terrible, and I am not trashing A51, but it just doesn't seem to fully match a real C-17. It is a nice simple VC though, and for 30 bucks that is not a bad deal. I am curious how it flies though, any input from the owners on the flight characteristics?

Odie
July 12th, 2011, 06:04
What a strange market this is. Can it really support 2, C-17 models?

I would think so...I've got a corral full of Mustangs in the hangar of all types and flavors...the most common is the D-version. :mixedsmi:

Mark W
July 12th, 2011, 14:20
I have both the Virtavia and Area 51 C-17's and after reading these forums for a long time, finally updated my membership to post replies, as I finally have something to contribute.

The two C-17's are quite different interpretations of the same airplane and unique enough in their own right that I don't (yet) have a preference for one over the other.

As a basic run down -

External models

Area 51 models the current external C-17 where as Virtavia models the earlier Block version. Both are stunning. The only issue with the Area 51 model is that the paint scheme for the USAF version (Charelston) has a different tail number painted on the nose than what is painted on the tail (and a third tail number on the flight deck placard).

Internal models

The Virtavia 2D panel is visually better than the Area 51 2D panel, although the Area 51panel is more photo real. The Area 51 VC is in some respects visually better than the Virtavia VC... I find the Virtavia VC to be closer to 2D panel in a static 60 degree aircraft commander sitting position (slewing around is a different matter) whereas the Area 51 VC is very 3D in the same position and includes items missing from the Virtavia VC (ie oxygen masks, window slides etc). The window frame work and perspective is also more realistic with the Area 51 model.

However, the Virtavia VC has better MFD modelling than the Area 51 VC, which has static MFD's, and they are generic (ie not C-17 specific) in nature. The Virtavia VC (and 2D for that matter) allows you to switch all MFD's to different functions, including an aircraft status function and three different engine paramater displays. Also, the Virtavia VC models the EPR system. The Area 51 VC has the EPR "picture" but it is a blank screen.

The HUD is good on the Area 51 VC but the Virtavia HUD (from version 2.3 on the a/c commanders side) has a slightly better and more realistic aspect and has the DCLT function (where no such function is modelled in Area 51).

The Autopilot on both models is the same in functionality however, the Virtavia C-17 VC autopilot works differently than the 2D autopilot ie on the 2D panel you can pre set the MCP and when airborne, engage the Autopilot master then select HDG, SPD and ALT and your pre set HDG, SPD and ALT are engaged. In the VC, when you engage the Autopilot master, selecting HDG, SPD and ALT cancels your pre set settings and engages the current HDG, SPD and ALT you are flying through. The Virtavia C-17 2D autopilot also has a THR/PTCH function for the AT whilst the VC does not replicate this function. Area 51 does not model THR/PTCH at all.

The Area 51 VC does have slightly more clickable systems (ie door functionality) and it also has a range of pop up 2D panels for specific functions. Unlike the main VC panel (ie with generic MFD's), the overhead panel is much more closely aligned to the real C-17 overhead panel. where as the opposite is true in the Virtavia model!

The Area 51 cargo compartment is superb... the Virtavia cargo compartment is more generic in comparison.

In essence, the interior model of the Area 51 model does look as if it all belongs together where the Virtavia 2D/VC model does look like it was built by different people at different times (which it was).

If I was to summarise the modelling of the VC flight decks, I would say that the Area 51 "framework" is much better but is let down by the MFD gauges whilst the Virtavia "framework" is not quite as good (and it is hard to describe why) but it has much better MFD functionality and its comm suite is much more aligned to the RW airplane (where as Area 51 offers a default FSX comm suite).

Flight Dynamics

There is a difference here; I thought the flight dynamics were good on the Virtavia model (which I have had since it was first released on Day 1 as V 1.0 with the default B744 2D panel in 2009) however, even though I have had the Area 51 model for all of 14 hours it behaves much more like a premium MSFS heavy jet (ie the LDS B767) than the Virtavia model.

So, Virtavia is good, Area 51 is very very good.

Sound

The Area 51 models sound is superb inside (I must admit that I have not really listened to it on an outside view nor have I done a cold dark start yet ie listened to a start up). From taxi to take-off, to climb, cruise, descent, final and reverse thrust, it is exactly like the real airplane and there is nothing I want to change except some system alarms ie autopilot disengage (as I have the real sounds on a CD).

The Virtavia models sound is very good too however I personally have always found it to be not quite right (inside) on take off, climb and descent (I have been able to modify it to sound correct in cruise). But its (inside) sound on the ground, including start up, is perfect.

Having said all of that, if you don't have any personal experience with a C-17 in flight, I think most people would enjoy the Virtavia sound set better, as it is much more "throaty" and "powerful" in sound (and loud compared to the RW).

Wrap Up.

I have the ISG Smiths FMC with LNAV and VNAV installed in my Virtavia C-17 which after a lot of tweaking, performance file creating and redefining the aircraft.cfg ISG file, works perfectly. I'm waiting for the ISG 1.8 update, which will install ISG's C-17 MFD's into the Virtavia C-17.

All in all, the Virtavia model is a good model but unlike a LDS 767 or PMDG 747 (I have both and you dare not tweak these), the Virtavia model is an add on that requires some personal love and care to take it to the next level. And I'll probably slave the Area 51 sound file to the Virtavia model now to see how that goes.

The Area 51 model is also a good model on its own merits but I have not had it long enough to determine whether it requires any more love and care to take it the next level, other than dropping in the ISG Smiths FMC with LNAV and VNAV. I am not very good at doing repaints so will be relying on others to supply a "fixed" Charelston, and a repaint to replicate all other USAF bases and the RAAF for Area 51.

As I said at the start, they are quite different interpretations of the same airplane. For ISG users, the Virtavia model may be the better way to go, as ISG is adapting its software specifically for the Virtavia airplane (ie MFD's, FMC, etc) and ISG users get the update for free, thus offsetting the higher Virtavia cost.

For people who are not ISG users, then you have a choice! And choice is good.

Warrant
July 12th, 2011, 14:36
Well written and clear review there, Mark. Thanks! :guinness::icon29:

WarHorse47
July 13th, 2011, 17:16
Nice review, Mark. I don't have the Virtavia version because the specs were a little too much for my machine. The Area51 version is just right for FS9 on my old box.

I do hope that we see some more repaints, like one from McChord AFB.

--WH

doublecool
July 14th, 2011, 15:14
ya gotta love the paint :applause:

Cag40Navy
July 15th, 2011, 10:11
Do both AR51 an Virt -17's have Dover Paint's?

Mark W
July 15th, 2011, 14:21
No, neither come with Dover textures although Dover, along with Altus, Charleston, Edwards, Elmendorf and Travis for Virtavia are available on Avsim (Virtavia models the rest incl Canada, Australia, etc).Area51 has three textures - Charleston, Raf and Qatar. A Canada repaint is on Avsim.I encourage painters to populate!

WarHorse47
July 15th, 2011, 17:10
No, neither come with Dover textures although Dover, along with Altus, Charleston, Edwards, Elmendorf and Travis for Virtavia are available on Avsim (Virtavia models the rest incl Canada, Australia, etc).Area51 has three textures - Charleston, Raf and Qatar. A Canada repaint is on Avsim.I encourage painters to populate!..and now there's another Area51 repaint for the RAAF..
--WH

Hanimichal
July 17th, 2011, 20:32
it's lovely

http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshots/images/341Area51_C_17_a1.jpg

http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshots/images/627Area51_C_17_a2.jpg

http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshots/images/912Area51_C_17_a3.jpg

strykerpsg
July 17th, 2011, 20:43
Great scenery, is it stock? Admittedly don't fly much to South America, but will re-think that strategy if the stock scenery is like this.

it's lovely

http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshots/images/341Area51_C_17_a1.jpg

http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshots/images/627Area51_C_17_a2.jpg

http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshots/images/912Area51_C_17_a3.jpg

Hanimichal
July 17th, 2011, 21:02
Great scenery, is it stock? Admittedly don't fly much to South America, but will re-think that strategy if the stock scenery is like this.

Yep. Default scenery (Rio de Janeiro)

Dave Torkington
July 20th, 2011, 21:34
This aircraft is a must for the 'heavies' pilots out there - excellent sounds, very nice VC, texturing is superb and framerates are top notch. I didn't get the Virtavia model due to the price, but you definately get what you pay for with the Area 51 bird.

I have both the Virtavia and Area 51 C-17's and after reading these forums for a long time, finally updated my membership to post replies, as I finally have something to contribute.

Thanks to Mark for an honest review :salute:

Jetmechanic
July 21st, 2011, 13:37
Can someone post a video on youtube for me so i can decide if i want to buy. Thanks

jeansy
July 21st, 2011, 23:59
yay or nay?

Dave Torkington
July 22nd, 2011, 04:06
yay or nay?

Not arf :applause:

CC-130J_AVN
July 22nd, 2011, 18:02
I love the Area51 Simulations C-17, the exterior model is very detailed. The VC is nice but I switched it out for the Virtavia VC so that my money did not goto waste and it does have a better VC (in my opinion). I have painted and uploaded to avsim and flightsim.com: Dover, Hickam, Travis, Altus, McChord, Canada, Australia, and a couple fictional paint schemes. I highly recommend the Area51 C-17!

papab
July 23rd, 2011, 12:17
Just bought it-WOW!!!!!

Easy on the frame rates, excellent modeling, wonderful VC.....

Best spent $29 in a long time!

Thanks Area 51-Fantastic job:applause:
Rick

strykerpsg
July 23rd, 2011, 22:48
On their website, Area 51, says there's a chute effect. I didn't see it mentioned in their just released manual. Anyone have any pics of it?

Matt

Dave Torkington
July 23rd, 2011, 23:55
Hi Matt,

This a 'para drop' chute effect that's triggered by the 'smoke effect' keypress [default 'i' on the keyboard]. It doesn't work well for me in FSX though - the effects texture stretches... Maybe there's a fix somewhere.

Dave.

dougal
July 24th, 2011, 03:55
Interesting how this version is getting more 'air time' and praise than the Virtavia version.

I'm guessing that probably has more to do with price than quality?

The cockpit looks pretty tacky to me.

Does the VC look any better in the actual model than the screenshots I've seen?

Dave Torkington
July 24th, 2011, 05:23
Interesting how this version is getting more 'air time' and praise than the Virtavia version.

I'm guessing that probably has more to do with price than quality?

The cockpit looks pretty tacky to me.

Hi dougal95,

Perhaps you missed the very informative comparison made by Mark W earlier? Personally I wouldn't say the VC was 'tacky', but based on the pic's it may appear to be so...

You ask whether the VC looks any better in the actual model than in the screentshots you've seen...? Well, if I said yes, then would you believe me? I doubt it :icon_lol:

It's a shame Area 51 and friends haven't made a video to show off this excellent model - I wish I has the grey matter to put together a decent Vid!

Dave.

papab
July 24th, 2011, 06:29

Yes...

dougal
July 24th, 2011, 08:56
Thanks guys, that's exactly WHY I asked. Pictures often don't tell the whole story.

Quite why you doubt I'd believe you Dave, I'm not too sure. Do I come across as sceptical as that...:kilroy:

I did indeed read the post you mention. It was however, just one users opinion. That's why I asked again.

Much as funds are very tight just now, I think I just may have to get it.

papab
July 24th, 2011, 09:56
Thanks guys, that's exactly WHY I asked. Pictures often don't tell the whole story.

Quite why you doubt I'd believe you Dave, I'm not too sure. Do I come across as sceptical as that...:kilroy:

I did indeed read the post you mention. It was however, just one users opinion. That's why I asked again.

Much as funds are very tight just now, I think I just may have to get it.

Get it you won't be sorry!
Rick

Dave Torkington
July 24th, 2011, 10:02

Well dougal95, you seemed to be doing it in a Roundabout way :icon_lol: Magic that is...

If you have a C-17 gap in your virtual hangar, then go for it :salute:

Hanimichal
July 24th, 2011, 11:55
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FntsqGLCDPo

dougal
July 24th, 2011, 13:56
Excellent vid - thank you!

Cag40Navy
July 24th, 2011, 22:56
Does the Area 51 and Virtavia models have the ability of reverse thrust in the air like the real one?

Dave Torkington
July 25th, 2011, 01:53
Nice video Hanimichal :salute:

Hanimichal
July 25th, 2011, 03:48
@Dave Torkington
@dougal95
Thanks

Merlin216
July 25th, 2011, 04:10
Does the Area 51 and Virtavia models have the ability of reverse thrust in the air like the real one?

I think that is an FSX limitation. I know for a fact the Virtavia one cannot do it, and I assume the A51 C-17 cannot as well (I do not own it).

starlifter
July 25th, 2011, 13:55
I think that is an FSX limitation. I know for a fact the Virtavia one cannot do it, and I assume the A51 C-17 cannot as well (I do not own it).

The A51 C-17 will not do it either .:salute: I've been playing around with both.

dougal
July 25th, 2011, 15:35
Don't think it's a limitation. I'm certain I've got at least a couple of addons that do it.

Will have to search them now...

FlameOut
July 26th, 2011, 02:29
@ dougal95,

You and I both misread the question....

reverse thrust in the air :mixedsmi:

paul day
July 26th, 2011, 06:05
Has anybody given it the shockwave treatment yet?

Reagards Paul Day.

Merlin216
July 26th, 2011, 09:40
Don't think it's a limitation. I'm certain I've got at least a couple of addons that do it.

Will have to search them now...

@ dougal95,

You and I both misread the question....

"reverse thrust in the air"
:mixedsmi:

I remember hearing about an aircraft that could do this in mid air, but that was so long ago that I just did not include it in my reply because I simply cannot remember. With what some developers have done, I would not be surprised that this is possible. As we all know though, by defualt, FSX does not allow it. If only we could do this on one of these C-17s.

letourn
July 26th, 2011, 11:03
I read somewhere a long time ago that the Captain Sim C130 was able to do it.I think there was Also a freeware C17 that was able to do it by using some trick like Gear down, parking brake and/or wheel brakes On and apply reverse. Not sure if it was an FS9 or FSX version

letourn
July 27th, 2011, 12:55
Bought it

VC could be better
Sound is nice
External model is nice

and No reverse thrust in the air

Good for the price

CC-130J_AVN
July 28th, 2011, 04:34
I think any (or most) prop aircraft that has reverse thrust capabilities can use it in the air. I remember reading back in the day on alphasim's forum, they said it couldn't be done with jet engine aircraft due to FSX limitations.

DaveKDEN
July 28th, 2011, 08:35
I read somewhere a long time ago that the Captain Sim C130 was able to do it.I think there was Also a freeware C17 that was able to do it by using some trick like Gear down, parking brake and/or wheel brakes On and apply reverse. Not sure if it was an FS9 or FSX version

Can't speak for the 'J' model (though I think it has the same limitation), but pulling the throttles into the ground range (and most certainly into reverse) on the 'classic' C-130 in the air was both forbidden and stupid.
While it might be possible on the CS C-130 in FS, doing so in the real McCoy would result in a very signficant and rapid loss of airspeed. The results of which could be catastrophic if not rectified immediately.

Edit - not meant as a critique of any earlier comment or individual, just FYI.

Mark W
July 28th, 2011, 13:32
And whilst the C-17 can do it in the real world, it has no real practical tactical value... if anyone has actually heard a C-17 do this, it wakes up the dead within a 25NM radius of the airplane. Not exactly a tactical advantage for an insertion...

Whilst it is part of the initial qual training course in the Sim, I think I actually did it only once in the real airplane, and that was for a publicity flight.

CC-130J_AVN
July 28th, 2011, 14:21
Can't speak for the 'J' model (though I think it has the same limitation), but pulling the throttles into the ground range (and most certainly into reverse) on the 'classic' C-130 in the air was both forbidden and stupid.
While it might be possible on the CS C-130 in FS, doing so in the real McCoy would result in a very signficant and rapid loss of airspeed. The results of which could be catastrophic if not rectified immediately.

Edit - not meant as a critique of any earlier comment or individual, just FYI.

Oh Right, I meant to add I mean for Flights Simulator. And the J does have the same limitation, the plane screams at you when you have the throttles in the ground range while in the air.

Jetmechanic
August 4th, 2011, 15:35
I just too theplunge and bought her. Testing now :)

Jetmechanic
August 4th, 2011, 16:23
Does anyone know how I can get the Parachute Effect on the C-17

CC-130J_AVN
August 4th, 2011, 17:23
Does anyone know how I can get the Parachute Effect on the C-17

by pressing "i"

CC-130J_AVN
August 9th, 2011, 14:31
Oh yeah, and you have to manually install the effects texture file(s)

Jetmechanic
August 9th, 2011, 16:08
I tried to manually install the effects texture file(s) and get black squares coming out the back of the C-17 i went to the effects folder of the C-17 and copyed and pasted the effects texture to the main texture file for FSX and copyed the effect file to the fsx effects folder and black squares now :guinness:

strykerpsg
August 9th, 2011, 16:47
I tried to manually install the effects texture file(s) and get black squares coming out the back of the C-17 i went to the effects folder of the C-17 and copyed and pasted the effects texture to the main texture file for FSX and copyed the effect file to the fsx effects folder and black squares now :guinness:

Let me know how you fix that issue. Currently my problem with FSX et large, black squares for all smoke/exhaust effects.

Matt

Mark W
August 10th, 2011, 05:00
Matt, if you are getting blacks squares or blocks it sounds like you have accidently deleted or misplaced your FX_1.bmp file from the effects/texture folder of the game.It drove me mad for months until I worked it out because I did not want to do a reinstall due to the amount of add ons, tweaks, etc. Or run a repair as doing so corrupts the level d 767 and all PDMG add ons (at least in my experience).The way I fixed it was I downloaded from fsinsider the fsx trial game; it comes with the full game textures. I then just copied and pasted that one file. And safely filed fsx trial as a spare parts box!If you have this file in your folder then I am of no further help!Mark

strykerpsg
August 10th, 2011, 08:40
Matt, if you are getting blacks squares or blocks it sounds like you have accidently deleted or misplaced your FX_1.bmp file from the effects/texture folder of the game.It drove me mad for months until I worked it out because I did not want to do a reinstall due to the amount of add ons, tweaks, etc. Or run a repair as doing so corrupts the level d 767 and all PDMG add ons (at least in my experience).The way I fixed it was I downloaded from fsinsider the fsx trial game; it comes with the full game textures. I then just copied and pasted that one file. And safely filed fsx trial as a spare parts box!If you have this file in your folder then I am of no further help!Mark

Mark, thanks for the info. i'll give it a try when I get home tonight. Also, seeing as you're a new member, welcome aboard.

Matt

Mark W
August 12th, 2011, 05:14
Thanks Matt.Can someone do an engine start for me and let me know if there is a sound gap between spooling up and engine settling at idle?I don't know if it is something I have done or an anomoly in the sound file.An auto start is fine and you can only hear it on the first engine sequence.Thanks!

JensOle
August 12th, 2011, 13:52
And whilst the C-17 can do it in the real world, it has no real practical tactical value... if anyone has actually heard a C-17 do this, it wakes up the dead within a 25NM radius of the airplane. Not exactly a tactical advantage for an insertion...

Whilst it is part of the initial qual training course in the Sim, I think I actually did it only once in the real airplane, and that was for a publicity flight.

It certainly has a value during certain types of tactical approaches; for example into a steep valley in Afghanistan with a dirt strip on the bottom where you come in high and don’t have the possibility to lose speed on a long approach… Lets say the name Tarin Kowt.. One hell of a ride…

strykerpsg
August 13th, 2011, 09:40
It certainly has a value during certain types of tactical approaches; for example into a steep valley in Afghanistan with a dirt strip on the bottom where you come in high and don’t have the possibility to lose speed on a long approach… Lets say the name Tarin Kowt.. One hell of a ride…

I was fairly certain that was the exact technique used when the C-17s were supporting us in theater, but as I wasn't a crew member and only the guy on the ground, I thought it was rather loud and abrupt but the strip we were securing was indeed in a valley and probably more suited for typically smaller STOL aircraft. I can honestly say when the C-17 finalized its roll, he still had a few hundred feet of runway left over.

I tend to shy away from some of these debates, as I'm not a real world pilot and these sort of issues often get debated by too many armchair pilots without the actual experience and only educated guesses. However, that is the beauty of virtual pilots, we can re-create things we would normally think too dangerous for the actual real world flying and if we crash, it simply starts over again.

Matt

strykerpsg
August 13th, 2011, 09:42

Mark, thanks for the recommendation. It worked beautifully. Now back to my virtual world.

Matt

JensOle
August 13th, 2011, 11:15
Matt,

My comments were not of an armchair aviator, but of someone who happens to have landed this way in theatre… certainly an experience.

The agility and short field capability of the big “fat” C-17 is certainly astonishing.

strykerpsg
August 13th, 2011, 13:04
Matt,

My comments were not of an armchair aviator, but of someone who happens to have landed this way in theatre… certainly an experience.

The agility and short field capability of the big “fat” C-17 is certainly astonishing.

Brother,

I never once was questioning your real world experience, so my deepest apologies for your misunderstanding and my improper wording. I gathered, based on your avatar and signature, that you are very much a real world cargo hauler, so hats off to you for supporting guys like me. I was referring to many other threads of speculation based on what they have read or theorized versus real world practical use.

So, please continue doing what you do, which is setting the record straight for the virtual flyers and please ensure your PIC is doing everything in his/her power to keep the supplies running true.

Matt:guinness:

Mark W
August 13th, 2011, 15:47
Matt, glad you sorted your squares problem out. I think JensOle was referring to me. I have not flown a C-17 since Dec04, so my experience and view is dated.

Hanimichal
August 13th, 2011, 16:16
Hey! the FSX MD-85 can Reverse Thrust in mid-air watch this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zG-atnNEl14

CC-130J_AVN
August 15th, 2011, 17:16
Now there is no reason for any real C-17 fan not to own Area51 Simulations C-17, almost 1 aircraft repaint from each operator. Just finished and uploaded Edwards AFB.

YoYo
February 25th, 2012, 03:06
http://www.pcaviator.com/store/product.php?productid=19089

Nice price, 50% less!

YoYo
February 29th, 2012, 01:19
Is there and new air file with new FMD?

I noticed than C17 of A51 has a problem on high altitude (>30.000 ft). Hard to reach, worse than default jets in FSX, near stall speed. Ups!
Poor airbrake effect on FMD too.