PDA

View Full Version : saw my first Kodiak and Beech staggerwing..and other first seen

Daveroo
July 10th, 2011, 10:48
first seen for me,that is....
Nevada County Airfest 7-9-11

Kiwikat
July 10th, 2011, 15:02
Couple of nice firsts! Thanks for sharing the pics.

The Kodiak is a lot bigger in real life than it looks in photos, especially the amphibious version.

pilottj
July 11th, 2011, 07:24
I think that Lockheed 12 was the same one I saw a while ago when working at the flightline. In regards to that little tiff a while back about the GAS L12 textures, you can see how smooth and reflective they are. Standing next to that plane and looking at it is like looking into a mirror.

Daveroo
July 11th, 2011, 13:57
I think that Lockheed 12 was the same one I saw a while ago when working at the flightline. In regards to that little tiff a while back about the GAS L12 textures, you can see how smooth and reflective they are. Standing next to that plane and looking at it is like looking into a mirror.

yes..it was incredible....the finish on that plane...i said to a guy pulling some signs out of the plane..."sir? is that a lockheed model 12?" he looked at me..said.."yeah awfully good guess there pardner" ( which offended me)lol...to which i said..."whoa bucko,,twasnt a guess,,IM a flight sim pilot and im about to buy one for FSX by GOD!!".......then i grinned.....whats someone gonna say to a 400 pound halfwit in a wheelchair/powerchair thing??...so he looked at me..walked over to me and said...i have a feeling you take advantage of that thing bigboy......i just busted up....i guess ya had to be there..but was funny

OBIO
July 11th, 2011, 16:36
On the 2nd, I went attended Airport Day at KMFD. Weren't a lot of planes there that day due to thunderstorms in the area. But there was a Beechcraft Staggerwing...a bright yellow one....and it was STUNNING!

One thing that struck me about the planes was their actual size. Flying planes in a sim, it's impossible to get a feel for how large the planes are. Standing next to a 1949 Stearman, the Staggerwing, a T-6 Texan....I was finally able to get some scale for the planes. Check Black Friday November (https://www.ladysavings.com/publix-weekly-ad/?black-friday/) and Stater Bros Ad (https://www.ladysavings.com/publix-weekly-ad/?stater-bros/). Now, when I fly a Stearman, a Staggerwing or Texan, I know how big the planes really are...and that gives simming a whole new perspective for me.

OBIO

Willy
July 11th, 2011, 16:56
I know what you mean Tim. I didn't have a clue how big a Twin Beech actually is until I was standing next to a C-45 and AT-11 at the 8th AF Museum at Barksdale AFB. They're not little airplanes....

TomSteber
July 11th, 2011, 17:48
Nice pictures. I don't think I've ever seen that Staggerwing before. Interesting paint.

n4gix
July 12th, 2011, 08:54
The Kodiak is a lot bigger in real life than it looks in photos, especially the amphibious version.

No kidding! When I saw a float version of the Kodiak at Air Venture last year, I was flabberghasted at just how H I G H up the pilot's seat is...