PDA

View Full Version : Addon converter X and a Stearman in Dx10

Roger
December 9th, 2008, 08:51
With the update I'm getting mainly good results with Fs9 aircraft that generally show white textures in Dx10 mode, especially from vc. To avoid the transparency issue with alpha layers used for shine in Fs9, Addon Converter X removes them automatically.
I knew the Robert Sanderson's Stearman cropduster would be a frame hog in FsX but I love that plane and I wanted to see if I could get all textures to show in spot and vc. It works.

http://www.flightsimtools.com/adconvx/

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/rogera/stearm-1.jpg

Cazzie
December 9th, 2008, 09:00
Roger, that may just have to be my next purchase. Must wait another week for stipends, but I like what I read there and the results you have with the Stearman.

Caz

CodyValkyrie
December 9th, 2008, 09:03
I wonder how well this program would work for Bill's old Wacos and Travel Air aircraft, etc. I know the gauges are all FS2002, which omits them from working properly in FSX. Will this program address those issues?

italoc
December 9th, 2008, 09:24
I wonder how well this program would work for Bill's old Wacos and Travel Air aircraft, etc. I know the gauges are all FS2002, which omits them from working properly in FSX. Will this program address those issues?

Bill Lyons Travel Air in FSX Accel DX10 thanks to Addon Conv X v1.02

(To be clear I am not in any way connected to the developers of Addon Conv) :icon_lol:

Italo

Roger
December 9th, 2008, 09:35
I think it's main use seems to be to port Fs9 scenery and traffic over but I'm finding it useful for Fs9 planes in Dx10. Untextured parts for now remain pale blue as seen on the landing gear and part of the panel of the WoP Lancaster but the guys are looking for a fix for it.
I havent tried Bill's aircraft but I will try one or two. High gloss alphas are killed by the program because they just render an aircraft transparent and a lot of Bill's aircraft were bare metal or glossy.
In Nil's recent experiments with mdlmat on Stuart's Pfalz Addon Converter added more problems but you can uncheck scenery or aircraft from the list and run the program again.

CodyValkyrie
December 9th, 2008, 09:39
Italoc, I believe that was the model that was changed in order to originally make it work in FSX that was released some time ago. I'm wondering how it would work on the base package that Bill himself released.

I also wonder what it could do for programs like Flightzone:02 Portland, etc.

Anyone try this?

italoc
December 9th, 2008, 09:46
Italoc, I believe that was the model that was changed in order to originally make it work in FSX that was released some time ago. I'm wondering how it would work on the base package that Bill himself released.

You are right: the zip is tamo_fsx

Italo

Helldiver
December 9th, 2008, 10:40
Would someone explain to me what is "DX10"? That Stearman looks familiar. It looks like the crop duster one that was famous last year. That one was freeware, how come it now costs? Where is it located?

CodyValkyrie
December 9th, 2008, 10:50
There is no cost Helldiver. It is still the free Streaman that you mentioned. What Roger has done is make it usable in DX10 Preview mode utilizing this piece of payware software which converts planes.

DX10, which stands for DirectX 10, is a graphics program which helps the graphics card interact with your software application, such as FSX. Formely, with windows XP, DirectX 9 was the buzz. Now with Vista, DirectX 10 allows more features to be implemented in games with less impact on performance. Whether or not we have met that goal is subjective at best.

DX10 uses a more streamlined architecture to provide higher graphics with less of a performance loss overall. For example, shadows and whatnot take less a hit with DX10. There are many limitations however, such as the operating system (Vista).

Games have to be made to work with DX10 in order to achieve this level of performance, otherwise they will perform the same as they did in DX9. When Microsoft released SP2/Acceleration, they implemented some features of DX10 in the form of "DX10 Preview." It only gives a little less overhead and is not fully fleshed out. Some people however swear by it.

If you are interested in a rather small and to some subjective visual show and tell of DX10, watch this video Helldiver. You may make up your own mind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouJ3pYhu43c

If you can, watch it in high quality, which is an option just below the video itself.

Anyways, for many, like myself, DX10 for FSX is still just a pipe dream.

If you are still confused, I can try to better explain it to you Helldiver. It is all rather confusing to me at times for damn sure...

Roger
December 9th, 2008, 11:16
Well as I keep saying the reason for me using Dx10 is mainly my FsX runs smoother. The water is more watery but smoothness is my main reason.

Asus Maximus mobo,
Q6600 (SLACR) processor overclocked to 3.4 gigaHz,
4 gig DDR3 1.6 gigaHz ram,
Zalman cpu fan,
GF8800GTX vid card,

CodyValkyrie
December 9th, 2008, 11:19
Like I said, the subject is fairly subjective. I personally use XP, even though I have a dual boot with Vista Ultimate. I lose too much FPS when using Vista and DX10, thus it is not viable for me to create videos.

Cazzie
December 9th, 2008, 13:23
The only real problem I have had with DX10 is that my runway marking flicker. the reflection of the sky over the water is definitively better, same for reflections and shadows on the aircraft.

If I could just get by those flickering marking. :banghead:

I use No Bloom, BTW.

Caz

Roger
December 9th, 2008, 13:56
Tri-Motor

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y203/rogera/tri-m-1.jpg

Helldiver
December 10th, 2008, 00:38
I think you mean DirectX 10 which is only available if your using (Ugh) Vista and you happen to be in FSX with Acelleration and you just happen to hit the DX10 elective - That DX10?
That's a long way to go just to fly one airplane.

Helldiver
December 10th, 2008, 01:05
I do like that Stearman without all the crop dusting stuff on it. It's just plain beautiful.
I looked at the video and really didn't see enough difference to try it out. Course that's with macular degeneration in both eyes.
I looked for the Jaggyroads video on Plum Island and wasn't able to find it.

Helldiver
December 10th, 2008, 03:41
I'm getting paranoid. I answered this thread at 5:30 this morning. At 5:45 they suddenly cut the nimber of threads down to only eight.
'Course it meant that this thread went down the drain. It just seems to me that if you want a thread killed, just have me answer it.
I put on a thread the other day and in a half hour it was cancelled.
Like I say, I'm getting paranoid.

dswo
December 10th, 2008, 04:18
Don't be paranoid, Helldiver. I was looking at the quotation in your signature. It sounds like the ancient maxim Dulce bellum inexpertis. In English: War is sweet to those who haven't gone through it.

Dain Arns
December 10th, 2008, 04:23
With the update I'm getting mainly good results with Fs9 aircraft that generally show white textures in Dx10 mode, especially from vc. To avoid the transparency issue with alpha layers used for shine in Fs9, Addon Converter X removes them automatically.
I knew the Robert Sanderson's Stearman cropduster would be a frame hog in FsX but I love that plane and I wanted to see if I could get all textures to show in spot and vc. It works.

http://www.flightsimtools.com/adconvx/

Hmmm. Wonder if Bill Lyons Challengers will convert. I've really been missing those lately. :kilroy:

Roger
December 10th, 2008, 04:25
Helldiver I think the problem is you are only seeing the most recent few posts. So if you go into your "User CP" menu (top left of the page) and navigate to "Edit Options" change your settings to these...

<FIELDSET class=fieldset><LEGEND>Visible Post Elements</LEGEND><TABLE cellSpacing=5 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>You have the option to show or hide various elements of messages, which may be of use to users on slow internet connections, or who want to remove extraneous clutter from posts.</TD></TR><TR><TD><LABEL for=cb_showsignatures><INPUT id=cb_showsignatures type=checkbox CHECKED value=1 name=options[showsignatures]>Show Signatures</LABEL><INPUT type=hidden value=1 name=set_options[showsignatures]>
<LABEL for=cb_showavatars><INPUT id=cb_showavatars type=checkbox CHECKED value=1 name=options[showavatars]>Show Avatars</LABEL><INPUT type=hidden value=1 name=set_options[showavatars]>
<LABEL for=cb_showimages><INPUT id=cb_showimages type=checkbox CHECKED value=1 name=options[showimages]>Show Images (including attached images and images in [IMG] code)</LABEL><INPUT type=hidden value=1 name=set_options[showimages]>
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></FIELDSET>
<FIELDSET class=fieldset><LEGEND><LABEL for=sel_threadedmode>Thread Display Mode</LABEL></LEGEND><TABLE cellSpacing=5 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>Here you can choose the display mode for threads. For a full explanation of the modes, please view this help page (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/faq.php?faq=vb3_board_usage#faq_vb3_thread_display ).</TD></TR><TR><TD><SELECT id=sel_threadedmode name=threadedmode> <OPTION value=0 selected>Linear - Oldest First</OPTION> <OPTION value=3>Linear - Newest First</OPTION> <OPTION value=1>Threaded</OPTION> <OPTION value=2>Hybrid</OPTION></SELECT> <LABEL for=sel_threadedmode>Thread Display Mode:</LABEL> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></FIELDSET>
<FIELDSET class=fieldset><LEGEND><LABEL for=sel_umaxposts>Number of Posts to Show Per Page</LABEL></LEGEND><TABLE cellSpacing=5 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>Use this option to set the number of posts to show in a thread before splitting the display into multiple pages.</TD></TR><TR><TD><SELECT id=sel_umaxposts name=umaxposts> <OPTION value=-1>Use Forum Default</OPTION> <OPTION class="" value=10>Show 10 Posts Per Page</OPTION> <OPTION class="" value=20>Show 20 Posts Per Page</OPTION> <OPTION class="" value=30>Show 30 Posts Per Page</OPTION> <OPTION class="" value=40 selected>Show 40 Posts Per Page</OPTION> <OPTION class="" value=50>Show 50 Posts Per Page</OPTION> <OPTION class="" value=70>Show 70 Posts Per Page</OPTION></SELECT> <LABEL for=sel_umaxposts>Number of Posts to Show Per Page:</LABEL> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></FIELDSET>
<FIELDSET class=fieldset><LEGEND><LABEL for=sel_prunedays>Default Thread Age Cut Off</LABEL></LEGEND><TABLE cellSpacing=5 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>You may specify a time period from which to display threads. Threads older than the age you specify will not be shown.</TD></TR><TR><TD><SELECT id=sel_prunedays name=prunedays> <OPTION value=0>Use Forum Default</OPTION> <OPTION value=1>Show threads from last day</OPTION> <OPTION value=2>Show threads from last 2 days</OPTION> <OPTION value=7>Show threads from last week</OPTION> <OPTION value=10>Show threads from last 10 days</OPTION> <OPTION value=14>Show threads from last 2 weeks</OPTION> <OPTION value=30>Show threads from last month</OPTION> <OPTION value=45>Show threads from last 45 days</OPTION> <OPTION value=60>Show threads from last 2 months</OPTION> <OPTION value=75>Show threads from last 75 days</OPTION> <OPTION value=100>Show threads from last 100 days</OPTION> <OPTION value=365>Show threads from last year</OPTION> <OPTION value=-1 selected>Show all threads</OPTION></SELECT> <LABEL for=sel_prunedays>Default Thread Age Cut Off:</LABEL> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></FIELDSET>

Roger
December 10th, 2008, 10:07
Hmmm. Wonder if Bill Lyons Challengers will convert. I've really been missing those lately. :kilroy:
Dain,Are you Dx9 or Dx10? With a little work on glass and panel it looks well in Dx9. In Dx10 with Addon C X you'll lose the shine especially from the windows.

Daube
December 10th, 2008, 12:24
Dain,Are you Dx9 or Dx10? With a little work on glass and panel it looks well in Dx9. In Dx10 with Addon C X you'll lose the shine especially from the windows.

Ah, that's good news.
I have not tried to use the Challenger in FSX because I have tried to install previous aircrafts from Bill Lyons, including the lovely Tripacer, and it was suffering critical body texture problems, so I didn't try anymore with any other models from him...

Dain Arns
December 12th, 2008, 15:53

I switch back and forth, but probably DX9 mostly. I had some memorable times in FS9 with that little bird of Bill's. :kilroy:

Cazzie
December 14th, 2008, 05:54
Just got the Add-On converter Roger, works like a charm, except it still will not make my Champs SP2 native and usable in DX10. Worked wonderful with Stuart Green's Snipe and all the other, now which are all flyable in DX10 preview. I still despise using DX10 because of the runways marking flickers, however, and my Champs still work in DX9.

Now only I need to get Stuart's SPAD VII up and flying. :ernae:

Waita minute, that doesn't look like Stuart flying that grey Snipe? :costumes:

Caz