PDA

View Full Version : Impressive storm

aeromed202
July 6th, 2011, 06:04
Saw this on the news today. My eyes are gritty just watching. Sorry for the ads first.

http://landing.newsinc.com/shared/video.html?freewheel=90416&sitesection=kstp_top&VID=23446711

b52bob
July 6th, 2011, 08:32
Had o be there, it was unusual to say the least. The aftermath is that everything is now coated in a fine dust. The car washes are going to have their best day ever!

paiken
July 7th, 2011, 20:03
It was really something extraordinary. The usual haboob only lasts for twenty minutes or so. This one lasted about an hour, with 60 mph winds and dust so thick that I couldn't see my neighbors house across the street. Estimated visibility was around 15-20 feet in my area. The following day, planes at Sky Harbor (KPHX) were required to use their ILS due to the poor visibility conditions. There was really fine dust between 2500 to 6000 ft that made approaches a problem with reported visibility around 1 to 1.5 miles. I've lived out here for the past 35 years, and this one was the strongest I've ever seen.

johnh_049
July 8th, 2011, 05:14
Had o be there, it was unusual to say the least. The aftermath is that everything is now coated in a fine dust. The car washes are going to have their best day ever!

years ago i lived in west texas. these storms were fairly common, back then.
what was ugly was when a rainstorm blew in on top of the dust...was really hard getting the dried mud off the car next morning.

EasyEd
July 8th, 2011, 06:46
Hey All,

This is so cool! It's like the dust bowl days of the 30s.That era and earlier is one of my favorite periods in history - the attempts to settle and farm Kansas like it was Illinois - the false scientific theories like dry farming. Great stuff.

But getting back to this storm - it actually rolled toward Phoenix and when it hit the heat island effect of the city broke it up and it reformed on the other side of town. Good stuff.

-Ed-

SpitXIV
July 9th, 2011, 20:51
I 've seen news clips from that era on my local weather channel. they also have it
on the history channel called "When weather changed history. The Middle east will
get storms like that too.