PDA

View Full Version : 1940's Rabal scenery

jeansy
July 6th, 2011, 03:47
Does anyone know of some WWII Rabal scenery or projects?

Thanks in advance

roger-wilco-66
July 6th, 2011, 04:25
Aaahrghh, when I saw the topic, I instantly thought (hoped), someone would work on it :icon_lol:

Cheers,
Mark

jeansy
July 6th, 2011, 04:41
Aaahrghh, when I saw the topic, I instantly thought (hoped), someone would work on it :icon_lol:

Cheers,
Mark

ive been there a few times with the navy in recent yrs and was just amazed on the level and amount hardware left around which wasnt destroyed by the allies during the war and the volcano in recent times

I was was hoping there was some scenery, as its within reach of northern Australia with B17/24/25s

roger-wilco-66
July 6th, 2011, 05:15
When I did FSX Solomon 1943, I naturally was pondering about also doing Rabaul, since that was a intense target in 1943. After looking at the topology of the area I thought it would be best to use a photoreal scenery at least for the immediate area around Rabaul, because the volcanic topology around Rabaul can't be rendered accuratly with default FSX scenery elements. But the volcanos around Rabaul came like a road block for using satellite images - at least I found none where the view was not obstucted by smoke or haze that comes fom the volcanos.
Unfortunatly the default scenery, even prepped up with new landclasses and hires mesh, still looks terrible. Oh well...

But Rabaul would be an awesome and dramatic sight if it could be done right!

> I was was hoping there was some scenery, as its within reach of northern Australia with B17/24/25s

Not to forget the P-47s, P-39s and P-38s that flew from New Guinea!

Cheers,
Mark

jeansy
July 6th, 2011, 05:21
When I did FSX Solomon 1943, I naturally was pondering about also doing Rabaul, since that was a intense target in 1943. After looking at the topology of the area I thought it would be best to use a photoreal scenery at least for the immediate area around Rabaul, because the volcanic topology around Rabaul can't be rendered accuratly with default FSX scenery elements. But the volcanos around Rabaul came like a road block for using satellite images - at least I found none where the view was not obstucted by smoke or haze that comes fom the volcanos.
Unfortunatly the default scenery, even prepped up with new landclasses and hires mesh, still looks terrible. Oh well...

But Rabaul would be an awesome and dramatic sight if it could be done right!

> I was was hoping there was some scenery, as its within reach of northern Australia with B17/24/25s

Not to forget the P-47s, P-39s and P-38s that flew from New Guinea!

Cheers,
Mark

hmmmm bummer but fingers crossed, and thanks for the solomons i still love using it

as for aircraft, the list is endless

mal998
July 6th, 2011, 05:27
If we are talking about Rabaul, there is some very nice scenery that covers Papua New Guinea, including Rabaul. It is not vintage WWII but anyone with a basic knowledge of scenery design might be able to remove the modern scenery and add WWII scenery.

PNG Raw Grit/Bush Flying

roger-wilco-66
July 6th, 2011, 21:32
If we are talking about Rabaul, there is some very nice scenery that covers Papua New Guinea, including Rabaul. It is not vintage WWII but anyone with a basic knowledge of scenery design might be able to remove the modern scenery and add WWII scenery.

PNG Raw Grit/Bush Flying

Wow, I didn't know that PNG Raw Grit also covers Rabaul, thanks for mentioning that.
Mal, you seem to have that product, could you take a picture of Rabaul / Simpson Harbor / volcanos in a northerly direction? Do you know if it has a custom mesh?

I might put that on my list for the FSX Solomon 1943 update.

Cheers,
Mark

mal998
July 7th, 2011, 06:33
PNG does include custom mesh.

roger-wilco-66
July 7th, 2011, 07:51
OK thanks, Mal.
It certainly looks better than the default scenery, although the volcanos look a bit strange!

Seems to be worth it, though. I'll put it on my list.

Cheers,
Mark

jeansy
July 8th, 2011, 23:15
which reminds me, there is some PNG mesh at OZx not sure if it covers rabal though

roger-wilco-66
July 9th, 2011, 00:19
Mesh is no problem, maybe the custom mesh of FSX Solomon 1943 even covers it, I'll check that. Otherwise I'll add it.
But something has to be done about the volcanos and the coastlines. Me thinks that a member here, was it Francoise?, mentioned a new 3d modelling technique for cliffs or mountains, maybe using this would depict the volcanos better.
Hmmm, I'm already involved :-)

Cheers,
Mark

jeansy
July 9th, 2011, 01:49

i dont have a problem with that

sambt
July 9th, 2011, 04:27
Mesh is no problem, maybe the custom mesh of FSX Solomon 1943 even covers it, I'll check that. Otherwise I'll add it.
But something has to be done about the volcanos and the coastlines. Me thinks that a member here, was it Francoise?, mentioned a new 3d modelling technique for cliffs or mountains, maybe using this would depict the volcanos better.

Cheers,
Mark

Are you finished yet? LOL

Mark, I have enjoyed your Solomon scenery. Good job. Can't wait for your update. As I am a WWII PTO fan, Rabual would be the icing on the cake.

Thanks

Sam

roger-wilco-66
July 12th, 2011, 03:51
Now we've got a new WIP here.
As "usual", I thought I'd just make a few airfields in the surrounding area, but (as usual) I was totally dissatisfied with the default coastlines, missing islands and bad landclass as well as undetailed mesh around and on New Britain.
So here we go again... I already traced the coastlines in Google Earth - even further southeast like Nissan Island - and will soon have the new basic scenery for Rabaul. There is still a lot of research to be done, like getting the exact location and images of japanese installations. Besides that, I need to figure out how to get the scenery around Rabaul with all those volcanos to look right, but we'll see. Nice challenge!

Cheers,
Mark

roger-wilco-66
July 12th, 2011, 22:25
Hi,

I have a question to those who know the area around Rabaul well, maybe Graham or jeansy can give an answer here. I have three mesh datasets to work with, and noticed that there seems to be a significant shift to the east and it seems not to be corresponding with the coastlines and landmass. I also looked at elevations in Google Earth and my impression is that Mt. Turanguna and Mt Kabiu should not drop into the ocean like that, and the volcano Tavurvur seems to be displaced.
Can you confirm this?

Thanks,
Mark

jeansy
July 12th, 2011, 22:35
from memory you are correct, in about a months time when i move house i will chase up some photos from the approach in to the bay of the volcanos

roger-wilco-66
July 12th, 2011, 23:23
Thanks, Matt, I appreciate it.
OT: I see you are from Cairns, is that Tiger Moth still flying from the airport there? I was keen on a ride with it when I visited that corner of the world, but unfortunatly it didn't work out. Anyhow, I loved the tropical north, a wonderful place!

Cheers,
Mark

jeansy
July 13th, 2011, 03:24
Thanks, Matt, I appreciate it.
OT: I see you are from Cairns, is that Tiger Moth still flying from the airport there? I was keen on a ride with it when I visited that corner of the world, but unfortunatly it didn't work out. Anyhow, I loved the tropical north, a wonderful place!

Cheers,
Mark

yep im from cairns , ive been based in down south for the past 6mths, as for the tigermoth couldnt tell you, i think there is one up on the tablelands, whenever i was in port, i was always off camping so i never really took notice of what was flying around the town sorry

wantok
July 13th, 2011, 05:06
Hi,

I have a question to those who know the area around Rabaul well, maybe Graham or jeansy can give an answer here. I have three mesh datasets to work with, and noticed that there seems to be a significant shift to the east and it seems not to be corresponding with the coastlines and landmass. I also looked at elevations in Google Earth and my impression is that Mt. Turanguna and Mt Kabiu should not drop into the ocean like that, and the volcano Tavurvur seems to be displaced.
Can you confirm this?

Thanks,
Mark

Don't know how far dated your data source is but from recollection, as native of Rabaul, Tavurur (2nd arrow from left of your pic), and Vulcan (1st arrow from left) shifted a few meters during the 1994 major eruptions. Adding to the geological shift is the thick pyroclastic flow deposits which formed extra land around both volcanos. The 8x14km caldera which forms the huge Simpson Habour in your 2nd pic was breached on the NE side during the eruption, so what you see from your data may or may not (depending on source origin) be accurate. What is accurate though from my last visit in 2006, has a drop-off within the NE vicinity. In my judgement, the drop-off is slightly exegerated (a bit steep) with 76m mesh in pic 1. But do note that the volcanoes are very active (erupting) and still spewing pyroclastic effects that are causing re-arrangement of the surrounding topograhy.

roger-wilco-66
July 14th, 2011, 12:27
Here's a very early WIP of the new landscape - no coastlines yet and I just plastered a landclass patch instead of the city. Ah, and no smoke from the volcanos yet! :icon_lol:
But I guess the landscape is better now, all the volcanos and mountains / hills are there. Graham, Matt, what do you think, does that look a little more familiar now?

Cheers,
Mark