PDA

View Full Version : Help frm (computer) smart guys requested!

andersel
July 4th, 2011, 23:06
Yesterday afternoon I went to delete a plane from FS9 and when I clicked delete some sort of (apparently)n endless delete cycle started. A few seconds later I was confronted with a BSOD. The BSOD did not stay on the monitor long enough for me to read it but I did see that it performed a physical memory dump. At that point the computer went in to a reboot cycle. Before it reached the desktop, a black Microsoft “disk check” screen popped up. This “disk check” took a while, then the re-boot completed. Then it all happened again. What is, or may be, up with all that? I eventually got the computer re-started in “Safe” mode and shut it off. Now I’m afraid to even try to re-start it. I do not know what’s wrong or what to do. Any and all advice will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

LA

OBIO
July 4th, 2011, 23:45
First off...never DELETE anything from your computer. DELETING things only remove the file allocation table entry for the file but leaves the file there until it is eventually over written by new files. Instead, you should ERASE files and folders using Eraser by Heidi. It's a free program, works like a charm and helps keep your HD cleaner.

Now, to your HD problem. The HD in question...is it the primary (C) drive with your OS on it? How long ago did you do a back up of your flight sim and important files (pics, videos, and such). The reason I ask these questions is that, in my experience, the only sure fire way to correct this problem is to format the HD and reinstall what ever was on it. Once the file allocation table (FAT) or boot sector begin to get wonky, they just keep getting worse. Sure running a disk check with auto fix turned on my get the system running and the files reading....but it is only a matter of time before it happens again and again and again...until eventually the files will no longer be accessible.

Mayhaps someone with real puter smarts will chime in and give you a way to fix it.

OBIO

demorier
July 5th, 2011, 00:42
I'm only guessing here but....sticky/faulty key on the keyboard ???

AndyG43
July 5th, 2011, 03:05
Question 1 - what on earth was it you deleted?

Question 2 - can you get into safe mode and try a System Restore?

TARPSBird
July 5th, 2011, 13:07
I'm thinking maybe this is one of those "delayed write failed" errors and it was just coincidental that andersel's deletion from FS9 triggered it. I'd first go with AndyG43's suggestion and if you can boot up in Safe Mode try a system restore back to before the BSOD.

gigabyte
July 5th, 2011, 14:21
My first question is what OS are you using? If you are running Windows XP I have good news for you, there is a well proven procedure to reinstall Windows XP over an existing installation and keep all data and installed programs that are not somehow buggered beyond repair. I have used the "No Format Reinstall" process 20 times or more and it has not failed me once, so speaking from my experience it is well worth a try. I believe I posted the full instructions in the FSX Tips thread some time ago, however if you want them and can't find them there PM me or do a google search for "Fred Langa", "Langa Letter" or "No Format Windows Reinstall" any of those will give you the full instructions on how to do it.

Best of Luck, and remember - He who laughs last has a GOOD backup!

andersel
July 5th, 2011, 18:03
Thanks for the info all. Sio here's the deal - My OS is Vista 32. The HD in question is my ONly HD, a 630gb samsung in a Dell XPOS 630I. While I was in "safe" mode I did a swystem restore to the most recen (Ithink it's called a) data point. That action seems to have solved the BSOD issue. OBIO - what you said about the problem just getting worse and worse is exactly what I am afraid of. I've obviously been thing (actually, obsessing) about this almost constantly for these last couple of days. I wonder if a thought I had would work; My XPS's tower is REALLY BIG and there is a lot of space inside for additions/modifications. Would it be possible to install two new HDs - a relatively small ( 250 - 320gb) one to house the OS, FS9 and assorted files/folders . And a large one (1tb +/-) on which to store various FS file (aircraft/sceneries/etc. Currently these take up around 280+/- gb. What would be a good plan on how to do these things? I'm kind of leary of external HDs, haviung had more than a few problems with them in the past. All of this having been said, I have to take in to account the $$$ factor as I am not made of money. In fact I'm not even sure I know what disposable income is anymore lol :mixedsmi: ! Thanks again for all your help.

LA

napamule
July 6th, 2011, 16:17
And,
I had identical symptoms before I lost my 'D' drive (FSim). I had swaped hard drives and the jumper pin broke and I did not notice. I put a jumper for D: to be (what I thought was for Slave) but by mistake put jumper in 'Master', and when done removed the jumper, but it had had 2 jumpers (Master and (the broken) Slave) while I moved files to external WD 'My Book' USB drive and that torqued it (boot sector?). Took a long time to do disk check, then took longer, then took forever, so I finally had no choice but to give up on it. My local PC shop tried to do data recovery but hard as they tried it did not work.

I love my Western Digital 'My Book' USB external drive. It can be formated and used just like an internal HDrive (make folders, copy, delete, etc). Good for COPY (not ISO Image) of files for back-up. I did not save some files before D: drive failed, but that was my fault. I don't do anything fancy with it such as auto back ups, so I don't have it plugged in all the time. Just when I need to do manual back up or to retrieve files. I drag from My Book to C: drive, using explorer (My Computer) and have had no problems at all. When you choose to do a 'Image' of HDrive you can't access the individual files. It's all or nothing. But you can COPY the entire HDrive to it (just takes all day due to being 280 Gb of data). So back up (and if you have discs do a clean install of OS) while you still have access to files, as the HDrive's days are numbered-been there, done that. Good luck.
Chuck B
Napamule