PDA

View Full Version : Civil War people

Eoraptor1
July 3rd, 2011, 07:05
I know you're here...

Does anyone know where I can find the extended version of Ted Turner's Gettysburg? Does it exist on DVD? Thanks.

JAMES

Jagdflieger
July 3rd, 2011, 09:24
I have it in my library of DVDs as well as "God's and Generals." Too bad they didn't finish up the trilogy with "The Last Full Measure." Aparently Ted Turner had bad feelings from the production of the overbudget Gods and Generals and decided against the final story in the father-son (the Sharas) trilogy of books.

That said, I haven't seen either DVD in a retail outlet lately, but I bet you can find the extended version at Amazon.com.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_33?url=search-alias%3Ddvd&field-keywords=god's+and+generals+director's+cut&sprefix=god's+and+generals+director's+cut

While shopping, look for Turner's "The Roughriders," the story of Teddy Rosevelt and his First Volunteer Cavalry Regiment in the Spanish American War. It's just as well done and is very enjoyable. One of the few cinimatic portrayals of the 1898 war.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_33?url=search-alias%3Ddvd&field-keywords=god's+and+generals+director's+cut&sprefix=god's+and+generals+director's+cut#/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_20?url=search-alias%3Ddvd&field-keywords=the+rough+riders+dvd&sprefix=the+rough+riders+dvd&rh=n%3A130%2Ck%3Athe+rough+riders+dvd

Naismith
July 3rd, 2011, 10:32
We got ours in the bargain bin at Walmart in nov/dec 2010, which prob means it is out of print now.

Bushpounder
July 3rd, 2011, 14:43
Jeff Daniels plays the part of Joshua Chamberlain brilliantly! One of the best parts in the movie. So hard though to watch him in Dumb and Dumber knowing he is such a good actor! LOL!

Don

OBIO
July 3rd, 2011, 15:12
Our debit card reward programs has Gettysburg as one of the DVDs we can pick. It's listed as 254 minutes long....not sure if that is the extended version or not. If you can't find it, let me know and I will cash in 866 Debit Card reward points and snag you a copy of it. It's won't cost me anything to do that....for every $2 I spend using our Debit card as a Credit card (pinless debit...money just comes right out of our account) I get 1 reward point...so basically I get paid to use my card as a Credit/Pinless Debit.

OBIO

Jagdflieger
July 3rd, 2011, 17:03
By the way, the Battle of Gettysburg ended one hundred and fourty-eight years ago today.

Eoraptor1
July 3rd, 2011, 17:08
Thanks everyone. Jadgfleiger was right. You can get the Director's Cut of Gettysburg on Amazon in BluRay format.

OBIO:

Thank you for the gesture. The 254 min. run time version is the one I already own. I was looking for the Director's Cut. I was on TNT once and I sat for six hours editing out commercials to get it on VHS.

I loved Gettysburg, although I have friends who find it boring -- NOT ME!!! My uncle and I went to see it in the theater during its original theatrical run. I did not care for Gods and Generals, which gave me a screaming headache. I loved the book upon which the film was based, however. I found the section right before the war begins, with Robert E. Lee and Sam Houston especially illuminating. Lee is nearly attacked by a mob in Texas for wearing the blue uniform, but they stop out of respect for General Sam. Does anyone know if this incident really occurred?

JAMES

OBIO
July 3rd, 2011, 18:01
I did some digging around...and it seems that the extended version was only put out on VHS and has not come out on DVD. I came across a rather lengthy discussion on a forum someplace where folks were discussing the Extended Version and the need for it to be released on DVD and better yet in HD Blue Ray version.

OBIO

On a side note, a former co-worker is a HUGE Civil War buff. He is in Gettysburg...been there for about a week and will be there for another week. Huge series of re-enactments going on.

PRB
July 3rd, 2011, 18:29
One of my all time favorite movies. Military people here will appreciate the scene where General Lee chews out his cavalry officer. One of the best butt-chewing scenes of all time, and he never raised his voice (much)...

wombat666
July 4th, 2011, 01:06
I read 'The Killer Angels' quite a few years ago and 'Gettysburg' stays close to the original manuscript.
Epic film.
One of my most watched collections is the Ken burns 'Civil War' series, amazing how compelling the static images in conjunction with first class voice overs remains after so many years.
:applause:

Rami
July 4th, 2011, 02:10
One of my all time favorite movies. Military people here will appreciate the scene where General Lee chews out his cavalry officer. One of the best butt-chewing scenes of all time, and he never raised his voice (much)...

PRB,

Being a teacher as well as an amateur historian, one of my favorite scenes is the conversation between Longstreet (Berenger) and the British military attache on the second day just after Longstreet has the conversation with Hood where he is given his orders for the day.

Eoraptor1
July 4th, 2011, 07:10
I did some digging around...and it seems that the extended version was only put out on VHS and has not come out on DVD. I came across a rather lengthy discussion on a forum someplace where folks were discussing the Extended Version and the need for it to be released on DVD and better yet in HD Blue Ray version.

OBIO

On a side note, a former co-worker is a HUGE Civil War buff. He is in Gettysburg...been there for about a week and will be there for another week. Huge series of re-enactments going on.

Thanks for doing that checking, Obio. I was operating under the assumption that the Director's Cut was the same as the Extended edition. I'll have to check that Amazon listing more closely.

JAMES