PDA

View Full Version : Jane's F-18

Eoraptor1
July 3rd, 2011, 07:00
New system is UP!!! I finally have enough processing power to make FSX worth my while. One problem: in Windows XP I could run Jane's F-18 by changing the compatibilty settngs to Windows 98 mode. So far, I can't get it to run under Windows 7 for love or money. Has anyone gotten this sim to work using Windows 7? If so, what did you do? Thanks in advance.

JAMES

OBIO
July 3rd, 2011, 09:24
James

With a game that old, I don't think there is much you can do to get it to run under Win 7. Win 7 does not support many programs that are pre-XP, and if you are running a 64-bit version of Win-7, even the XP era programs can be hard to install and run. I am running Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit and have problems with Photoshop 7.0 at times...sometimes it crashes for no apparent reason. I will likely have to upgrade to a new version of Photoshop before too long....luckily I know an educator or two who can get me a full licensed install for a fraction of the retail price.

Tim

Jagdflieger
July 3rd, 2011, 09:31
It's a shame to loose all of those great Janes' combat sims to advancing technology. I particularly liked WWII Fighters, USAF Fighters, F-15 and the F-18 sims.

Naismith
July 3rd, 2011, 10:27
A Reason to maintain a nostalgia machine. If you are permitted the allocated room for it by the she-wolf who really rules in your home. You only think you do.

frankwi
July 3rd, 2011, 13:36
I used to play USAF Fighters all the time. I think that game was ahead of it's time. The graphics (then) were awesome and the campaign mode was very challenging. I used to love running out into the desert and putting a GBU on a SAM site. I tried to run the game under XP, but the menu screens were unusable.

Those were the days when a new combat sim came out every other month. I don't know of anything present day that resembles USAF Fighters. Any suggestions ? The only one that comes to mind is Falcon, but the graphics, to me, are pitiful.

Jagdflieger
July 3rd, 2011, 13:44
That nastolgia machine idea is worth thinking about. Keep it off the Internet so it doesn't get bugs and transfer only good data and files to it via thumb drive or whatever.

I used to have Win98 somewhere. I hope it didn't get thrown out in house cleaning at sometime. That was, to me anyway, the best OS for CFS 2 and the Jane's series of sims.

Eoraptor1
July 3rd, 2011, 17:11
I was going to keep my old rig as a "nostalgia machine" but the hard drive died right in the repair shop and the motherboard was already on its last legs. Thanks for the memories Jane's...

JAMES

Meshman
July 3rd, 2011, 19:35
I think... If you're a bit of a techie you could set your system up to boot from a choice of OS, one of which could be XP and it's old, old compatibility mode.

Something like this? http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/8790/dual-boot-your-pre-installed-windows-7-computer-with-xp/

Please don't call me if something goes wrong...

:running: :running: :running: :running:

Eoraptor1
July 5th, 2011, 19:33
I think... If you're a bit of a techie you could set your system up to boot from a choice of OS, one of which could be XP and it's old, old compatibility mode.

Something like this? http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/8790/dual-boot-your-pre-installed-windows-7-computer-with-xp/

Please don't call me if something goes wrong...

:running: :running: :running: :running:

I have a friend who did just that, but his nerd powers are grreater than mine, for now... I'm holding on to my Jane's discs just in case I build up the nerve. I think WWII Fighters, as well as F-18, both hold up very well considering their age.

JAMES