PDA

View Full Version : Seeking Forest Fire Smoke Add on

CrisGer
July 1st, 2011, 15:08
Is there a workable way for us to add a forest fire smoke area to a landscape? I was hoping for some kind of add on like a BGL that we can drop in, but if there is i would need to know how to do it. Any suggestions very welcome, I have a decent Orion that has a good fire retardant drop effect but dont know how to add the fires....

advice and reccomendations very welcome.:medals:

I am hoping to re create the current fire in Los Alamos. there is only one Orion there but there are some larger Air force plans I think i can find..and the usual rotary assets.

If we are going to add static planes and choppers to a field, is there a program that will allow us to create a BGL that will achieve this?

Holger Sandmann
July 1st, 2011, 17:11
Hi there,

one can use simple .xml code compiled with BGLComp.exe to place effect files anywhere; the Special Effects SDK explains it and includes sample code and there are actually a couple of (smallish) forest fire effects included with FSX.

The tricky bit with forest fires is that a realistic effect size tends to kill fps. However, reasonable smoke effects can be achieved; some of the best examples I've seen are available here: http://www.wildfirepilot.com/index.php?p=1_9_Forest-Fire-s

Cheers, Holger

CrisGer
July 1st, 2011, 18:50
Wow Holger!! I am honoured! thank you so much!!!! that is very encouraging, i have a good card and system so i think i can handle the fps, if i can master this one effect than i can learn how to do more. thanks so much, and i do have a membership over there, just had not visited there in so long I had forgotten the name of the site, thanks for that too!!!!

Hope you all are having some rain up there in BC so you dont have to worry about the fires we have here, the smoke from Los Alamos is hitting us here in Southern Colorado.

thanks again!!!:applause:

Slund
July 2nd, 2011, 19:26
Holger Sandmann posts a link to my website, that put a grin on my face. I have had some success using landclass files to simulate larger fires but with Orbx scenery for British Columbia being so good, I have to start over. One day I'll find the time to update the website with a few more fires. :redfire: