PDA

View Full Version : Google Earth Flightsimulator

Jaxon
October 2nd, 2008, 03:52
I have heard it before and once tried it.
Well, in the last months they seem to have worked continously on it.
In the meantime it reaches quite an impressive level.

In the standard freeware Google Earth is a flightsim-modus implemented.
Of course it canīt beet FSX regarding the game-engine. But the scenery database is of another quality. No need to DL and install scenery stuff anymore. What was built, is in the game. Updated each time you start it again.

Also, you can use your Joystick now. And what really adds athmosphere - is athmosphere ;-)
Enable it, and you have a blue sky.
Also the sun can be enabled and then you can switch through the times, see the shadows of the buildings, dusk and dawn are also modelled!

Drawback: You need a really healthy internet-connection.

With increasing internet-DL-rates offered by the providers and when they offer more options like in FSX, in can be a real opponent for future Microsoft simulators, i think.

Is this the future of flightsims?

lifejogger
October 2nd, 2008, 04:16
Now all we need is a virtual cockpit and working gauges:icon_lol:.

Jaxon
October 2nd, 2008, 04:34
Exactly. And my bet is, we will have it within the next 5 years or earlier.

srgalahad
October 2nd, 2008, 08:07
Working the other way around, there is a method for importing 'as you go' satellite mapping images into FS9/FSX...

WHAT IS TILEPROXY?
Created as FREEWARE by Christian Buchner (javascript:;), it's a real-time interface between Microsoft's Flight Simulator X and the Internet. It will download photo-terrain textures from online map services by acting as a proxy server and file format converter. This tool turns your Flight Simulator into an interactive 3D map browser unlike anything you have experienced before. In FSX resolution levels of up to 30cm per pixel can now be achieved. It may also be used with Flight Simulator 2004 (FS9) though texture resolution is limited to 4.75 meters per pixel,

http://edtruthan.com/tileproxy/tutorial/

Again, you need a fast internet connection and aircraft speed is pretty well-limited to the low end (120kts) but high &fast flyers don't really get to see the scenery in real-life either.

D/L link is contained in the tutorial. I haven't tried it ( still trying to get FS running again) but it does seem to have potential.

Rob

Lionheart
October 2nd, 2008, 11:13
Working the other way around, there is a method for importing 'as you go' satellite mapping images into FS9/FSX...

WHAT IS TILEPROXY?
Created as FREEWARE by Christian Buchner (http://javascript<b></b>:;), it's a real-time interface between Microsoft's Flight Simulator X and the Internet. It will download photo-terrain textures from online map services by acting as a proxy server and file format converter. This tool turns your Flight Simulator into an interactive 3D map browser unlike anything you have experienced before. In FSX resolution levels of up to 30cm per pixel can now be achieved. It may also be used with Flight Simulator 2004 (FS9) though texture resolution is limited to 4.75 meters per pixel,

http://edtruthan.com/tileproxy/tutorial/

Again, you need a fast internet connection and aircraft speed is pretty well-limited to the low end (120kts) but high &fast flyers don't really get to see the scenery in real-life either.

D/L link is contained in the tutorial. I haven't tried it ( still trying to get FS running again) but it does seem to have potential.

Rob

Man Rob,

If this is true, this would be fantastic!

<--- jumps up on the desk and dances a jig!

Lionheart
October 2nd, 2008, 13:25
I am here to tell you that this program works and freaking works AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It runs on FS9 'and' FSX.

Here are before and after shots of Flagstaff.

Also, a pic of Nantucket Island in FS9. In FS9, its a bit grainy, but dang.. I can deal with that!

Bill

EDIT: For those that dont know the difference, Flagstaff is high altitude and has no deserts there, especially on the San Francisco Peaks mountains.. ;)

brian1305
October 2nd, 2008, 14:10
This does look amazing!!
How does it effect the 3D surroundings at low level i.e. trees, buildings?

Lionheart
October 2nd, 2008, 15:56
Hey Brian,

I havent checked that part yet, but the highways overlay directly on the FSX highways, which impressed me. Thus the traffic is right on the highway, lol..

Frame rates were also quite nice and almost uneffected.

I need to see if I can get FS9 to be a tad more crisper. This is the one main, key thing that has kept me away from FSX is scenery, and this just totally wiped out that issue. :d

srgalahad
October 2nd, 2008, 18:12
One factor that will have a serious effect is your internet speed. There are several online tests available (Search: "Internet Speed Test"). I tried a few and most a were within a fraction of each other, but here's the one I like:
http://www.speedtest.net/

The TileProxy Tutorial specifies 2Mbps or faster.. I get about 4.3 on most tests.
Interesting process..
Find location - start mapper search - download images as .jpg - convert to .bmp - overlay to FS ... takes time on startup as you can imagine, but oh.. the low-slow scenery **Can you buzz your house? **

Rob

brian1305
October 3rd, 2008, 09:53
Cheers guys!

The tools to check internet speed are very good - I should be ok here.

Spent last night downloading and going through the install tutorials, at least there is plenty of support to help you change back if need be.

Going to install tonight and give it a try in FS9 and hopefully will post some results.:wiggle:

brian1305
October 3rd, 2008, 11:50
Well tried it out and here are the results!!
Quite remarkable to say the least - couple of shots over Edinburgh Airport.
First one you can just make out the "bridges" on the top right, second is right over an area I used to live..:d marked the street with an ugly dot!!!

It does create a great VFR environment, however it takes away the trees and buildings you would normally see, if like me you like "skimming the pine" then this does get a little annoying.

Overall a keeper but not for everyday use! Always make backups..:wiggle: