PDA

View Full Version : 'Montoya Makes Enemies'

Panther_99FS
June 27th, 2011, 17:23
http://nascar.speedtv.com/article/cup-juan-pablo-montoya-makes-enemies-nascar-sprint/

stansdds
June 28th, 2011, 01:53
Has he ever had friends in NASCAR?

wombat666
June 28th, 2011, 02:11
I doubt JPB could care less P.

This is typical NASCAR rubbish, until this type of loud mouth public slagging off ceases (it probably won't) NASCAR will always keep its image as a backwater of motor racing in the realm of serious motor sport.
It is stupid, more so as most of the drivers appear to be articulate and intelligent, or seem to come across in that way when interviewed.
I suppose the 'fans' love it, however, the 'What Goes Round Comes Round' mentality demeans the show, even if it is just a 'Domestic' tin top series.

:kilroy:

Terry
June 28th, 2011, 04:19
He may not have any friends but he has a marvelous RC airplane collection. What more do you need????:bump:

Daveroo
June 28th, 2011, 08:10
He may not have any friends but he has a marvelous RC airplane collection. What more do you need????:bump:

if he put as much energy into learning to drive a stock car as he does on his RC planes ( his collection is indeed pretty awesome) he might be a halfway compitant driver....but how many guys has this guy wreaked since hes been in cup? LOTS and his defence is allways..."wasnt me..it was him"...thats just childish even for a ex F1 champion...

wombat666
June 28th, 2011, 08:35
Dave, JPB was a CART Champion, an Indy 500 winner but not an F1 World Champion.
I think (just me, myself) he really is not that bothered about winning these days.
He left F1 because he was fed up with the way it was going and let's face it, he was assured of a drive with his old CART team in NASCAR, he had established a circle of friends and a lifestyle before he left CART, and he gets plenty of money for running round in a series that is more of a paying hobby than a job.
The old saying of 'I'm here to race, not make friends' is probably his motto.
One that I certainly agree with as well.

redriver6
June 28th, 2011, 08:39
if he put as much energy into learning to drive a stock car as he does on his RC planes ( his collection is indeed pretty awesome) he might be a halfway compitant driver....but how many guys has this guy wreaked since hes been in cup? LOTS and his defence is allways..."wasnt me..it was him"...thats just childish even for a ex F1 champion...

OMG...now you have done it.....you don't mean to tell me you have the gall to criticize a former F1 Champion ???

Heaven Forbid!!!!!!!

ya know....since NASCAR is a backwater non-serious racing series we should all just bow to the superior driving talent of folks like Jacques Villenueve and Juan Pablo Montoya.

in fact all the NASCAR hillbillies should just park thier cars and let the holier than thou F1 crowd run arond the track all by themselves.

maybe then they won't run into anything.

Panther_99FS
June 28th, 2011, 09:23
On a serious note...I fault the team overall....especially if you look at their overall record with all drivers besides Montoya....Jamie Mac & Montoya didn't do well when they made the Chase...

And even if Jamie Mac is the better driver, he's not consistently in the top 10....Seems to me like an overall team issue rather than driver issue.

Personally, I think Juan would have faired better under the tutoring of Joe Gibbs....rather than Ganassi since Ganassi himself has a rather explosive temper....

Terry
June 28th, 2011, 09:56
It would be interesting to take the top four temper tantrum prone drivers like JPM, the Bush boys, and bad Brad and put them on one team with Tony Ury in charge.:violent:

wombat666
June 28th, 2011, 12:19
OMG...now you have done it.....you don't mean to tell me you have the gall to criticize a former F1 Champion ???
Heaven Forbid!!!!!!!
ya know....since NASCAR is a backwater non-serious racing series we should all just bow to the superior driving talent of folks like Jacques Villenueve and Juan Pablo Montoya.
in fact all the NASCAR hillbillies should just park thier cars and let the holier than thou F1 crowd run arond the track all by themselves.
maybe then they won't run into anything.

Red ...... JPB was a CART Champion, an Indy 500 winner but not an F1 World Champion.
:173go1:

redriver6
June 28th, 2011, 13:41
Red ...... JPB was a CART Champion, an Indy 500 winner but not an F1 World Champion.

ah yeah i saw that after your post....he did win quite a few races in F1 tho..

aaaaaaand he won a F3000 championship................so i was only off by 2999:icon_lol:

Panther_99FS
June 28th, 2011, 14:04
So anyways...
If you look at how Stewart was early on in his career and look Tony now....(yeah I know, Sunday's race :bump: ) but anyways Gibbs cooled him down a lot....That's why I stated Juan could benefit from Joe Gibbs tutorledge.....:mixedsmi:

redriver6
June 28th, 2011, 14:18
So anyways...
If you look at how Stewart was early on in his career and look Tony now....(yeah I know, Sunday's race :bump: ) but anyways Gibbs cooled him down a lot....That's why I stated Juan could benefit from Joe Gibbs tutorledge.....:mixedsmi:

that may be true...but hows that theory lookin with Kyle:kilroy:

Panther_99FS
June 28th, 2011, 14:28
that may be true...but hows that theory lookin with Kyle:kilroy:

Kyle left Gibbs too early! Look at how long Stewart was there.....:bump:

Unfortnately, what will hurt Juan are ovals...people will "remember" and that will leave Juan with less friends on the ovals...If not for a few bad calls by Juan's crew chief in the tire department, Juan would probably have about 2 or so oval wins....

This why I stated it's more of a team issue than Juan when it comes to performance because Jamie Mac isn't finishing in the top 10 either...

Daveroo
June 28th, 2011, 15:04

hangs head in shame........so i dont know where he came from..for all i know hes a brazilian not a columbian.....ok THAT is in jest too.....but still my point is..he just tries to hard to be the best..learn to drive these cars and not the rc planes for awhile..stop using other guys tires in the corners ( 8 tires are better than 4?) and stop blaming other drivers for his lack of nascar ability.....

PS i honestly thought he was one of the few that had won CART and F1,,,my mistake

redriver6
June 28th, 2011, 15:04
Kyle left Gibbs too early! Look at how long Stewart was there.....:bump:

huh???

did i miss somethin???

i coulda swore Kyle was still with Gibbs...

and whats up with a man of God like Joe Gibbs hiring the devil's spawn anyway?:icon_lol:

Unfortnately, what will hurt Juan are ovals...

well ya know P....NASCAR is purty much all about the ovals...and if Juan wins even one race (Watkins Glen) he could qualify for the chase in one of the wildcard spots...

not to get too far off topic but how long do you think Logano has before lack of performance issues gets him sent back to the minors??

Panther_99FS
June 28th, 2011, 15:18
LoL my mistake....:kilroy:

Panther_99FS
June 28th, 2011, 15:20
not to get too far off topic but how long do you think Logano has before lack of performance issues gets him sent back to the minors??

I'm going to plead the 5th on this one.....:monkies:

EasyEd
June 28th, 2011, 21:51
Hey All,

Where to start...

1) Montoya - I actually like Juan he is a good guy - he participates in lots of charity events - he gives of himself to fans and NASCAR - he flies RC planes... I do not in any way dislike Juan as a person. And while I admit it chokes me a bit I hope he wins on an oval sometime.

2) I think Juan really does think of himself as a premiere driver who should excel at - at least - road courses. That he has had so much trouble on ovals is not just him and he has done some really stupid stuff on track I think mostly in frustration. The top tier in NASCAR is hard a lot harder than I suspect Juan thought it would be. That Jamie Mac could do so well last year I think bothered him alot since he could not because I bet he thinks in his heart that he can outdrive Jamie Mac - maybe he can on road courses in an open wheel car but not on an oval in a stock car - that I bet bothers him. If Raikkonen comes into NASCAR thinking he is a premiere driver who others should bow before he'll get that shoved down his throat like so many other open wheelers have - success without fenders and bumpers means nothing in a series with fenders and bumpers.

3) Kyle - I am ever increasingly thinking that Richard (and maybe NASCAR too) "got to him" and that Kyle may just start to grow up - Kurt did after Spencer. Kurt is not a hothead anymore but is a man and a he!!uva driver.

4) Brad - Brad is a heck of a driver and very well spoken smart and articulate. He is blessed or is it cursed with a face that just looks like the face a punk would have. Never judge him by that even though he does look that way.

5) Joey - I think he is a fine driver who simply needs a bit more aggression. I don't think he "fits" at Gibbs cause they are all about hotheads not smart cool headed thinking drivers (see Kyle and Denny at Phoenix last year) which is what Logano is - I think he would be a great "fit" at red bull if they had not folded - but since they did - Hendrick. I think he is a thinking mans driver and he needs that kind of team support. If Logano were to leave Gibbs he would have several offers for rides.

6) As I said in the other thread - I do not agree in any way shape or form with the idea that drivers in series that turn left and right are superior in any way to drivers who - basically - only turn left. Racing is just too specialized for that to be true anymore. It isn't 1960 any more where man and machine were more evenly matched and it never ever will be 1960 again - that racing based on innovation and relatively low regard for safety is dead and will never ever rise again. It wasn't very good (in terms of evenness) anyway.

All my opinion.

-Ed-

wombat666
June 29th, 2011, 00:50
A few observations.

I re-ran the recording of Sears Point and noted some interesting points.
All in all it was a reasonable race, be nice if some kudos were awarded to Marcus Ambrose finishing in P5 while driving for a level 2 team.

*The interview with Tony Stewart.
"If anyone blocks me I'll dump them. I did it today and I'll continue you to do it as long as I race."
Not verbatim but close enough.
Great image for NASCAR and a poor example for younger drivers, NOT!

*According to the 'Commentary Team' there is only one point on that circuit where cars can overtake.
What a crock.
Run a typical field of 30+ V8 Supercars there and you would find at least half a dozen overtaking zones.

*Blocking (known as weaving) is allowed in that series, but only one position change, do it twice and the offender gets an instant drive through. Just to clarify that one, a driver can 'change position' at least once each lap, but constant weaving over a lap is punishable.

*Dumping (aka deliberately taking another car out) comes under the heading of 'Causing an avoidable accident' and is also punishable by a drive through.
Rubbing panels and 'Robust Racing' is allowable.

*Any driver who speaks unwisely can find himself summoned to a 'Please Explain' board and may face a very hefty fine for 'Bringing the Sport into Disrepute', at times resulting in suspension.

While there are times when incidents may be missed by the Stewards, 90% of their decisions are correct.

And a PS: If Kimi Raikkonen does decide to do NASCAR (I doubt he will) he'll do what he always does, have a go, take the money, and try to enjoy himself.
The 'Iceman' could care less about ordinary mortals.
:applause:

Thoe6969
June 29th, 2011, 03:22
I doubt JPB could care less P.

This is typical NASCAR rubbish, until this type of loud mouth public slagging off ceases (it probably won't) NASCAR will always keep its image as a backwater of motor racing in the realm of serious motor sport.
It is stupid, more so as most of the drivers appear to be articulate and intelligent, or seem to come across in that way when interviewed.
I suppose the 'fans' love it, however, the 'What Goes Round Comes Round' mentality demeans the show, even if it is just a 'Domestic' tin top series.

:kilroy: How come it draws three times the fans as Indy cars and the across the pond Grand Prix races.

Panther_99FS
June 29th, 2011, 05:14
How come it draws three times the fans as Indy cars and the across the pond Grand Prix races. WWE wrestling is extremely popular too & in some ways is comparable to what fans of both NASCAR & WWE like to see.....i.e, high-strung personalities "fighting"...

wombat666
June 29th, 2011, 06:39
How come it draws three times the fans as Indy cars and the across the pond Grand Prix races.

With all due respect, it is an American DOMESTIC series.
Aside from a few forays to South America, Japan, and the 'Thunderdome' built in Australia specifically for the purpose (Epic Fail) the rest of the motor sport world have little or no interest.
NASCAR is relevant in America and not so outside to the rest of us.
I keep up simply because of 'Our' Marcus Ambrose, the same as I check out F1 to follow Mark Webber.

Terry
June 29th, 2011, 07:54
Aside from a few forays to South America, Japan, and the 'Thunderdome' built in Australia specifically for the purpose (Epic Fail) the rest of the motor sport world have little or no interest.
I keep up simply because of 'Our' Marcus Ambrose, the same as I check out F1 to follow Mark Webber.

And I hope it stays irrelevant to the rest of the world! If the series were to start traveling world wide with drivers from all over the world it would suffer the same fate as Indy Car. The world has F-1 a true international series, that should be sufficient. As for Marcus, his opinion seems to differ greatly from yours based on what he says during interviews!

wombat666
June 29th, 2011, 09:41
As for Marcus, his opinion seems to differ greatly from yours based on what he says during interviews!

Of course.
He's very diplomatic in public and is enjoying life in the US.
But he still calls Australia home.

:applause:

Thoe6969
June 29th, 2011, 10:13

:173go1:Yeh thank God it's American,and like the rest of the world has no interest in aussie super cars either but I don't bad mouth them.

Panther_99FS
June 29th, 2011, 17:00
"Funny Thing" though....
With all this recent talk about Jamie Mac, points are as follows:

Juan Montoya=P16
Jamie McMurray=P27

redriver6
June 29th, 2011, 19:35
"Funny Thing" though....
With all this recent talk about Jamie Mac, points are as follows:

Juan Montoya=P16
Jamie McMurray=P27

whats yer point exactly?....okay so he is 11 spots lower in points than Montoya..

if you are referring to what Kahne said.....that was just a dig at Montoya...

nobody that i know of thinks McMurray is about to jump up and threaten for the championship...besides Kahne's reference was to last year.

Panther_99FS
June 29th, 2011, 20:12
RedRiver6
Some people say Jamie Mac is better than Juan, but the current points show otherwise. True, Jamie Mac beat Juan at the end of 2010 but Juan was ahead of Jamie Mac at the end of 2009.

I'm not convinced yet that Jamie Mac is the faster driver...

Panther_99FS
June 29th, 2011, 20:14
Which goes back to me saying that I think as whole, Ganassi-Earnhardt have team issues that need to be overcome. I don't think even the great Jimmie Johnson could win a championship if he drove for Ganassi-Earnhardt...

redriver6
June 29th, 2011, 21:01
Which goes back to me saying that I think as whole, Ganassis-Earnhardt have team issues that need to be overcome. I don't think even the great Jimmie Johnson could win a championship if he drove for Ganassi-Earnhardt...

i don't disagree with that..

however you say you aren't convinced McMurray is a faster driver than Montoya..

okay....i'm not convinced visa versa :icon_lol:

wombat666
June 30th, 2011, 00:55
Yeh thank God it's American,and like the rest of the world has no interest in aussie super cars either but I don't bad mouth them.

You'd be surprised at the number of International networks that take the Supercar series.
As for 'bad-mouthing' NASCAR, not true, it suits the US audience while the Supercars have a specific audience, and that's the way it should be.
The same as the overrated "DTM" is loved in Germany and the "BTCC" revered by the British, all these series are 'Domestic' and none are relevant in real terms on the International stage.

Thoe6969
June 30th, 2011, 06:14
You'd be surprised at the number of International networks that take the Supercar series.
As for 'bad-mouthing' NASCAR, not true, it suits the US audience while the Supercars have a specific audience, and that's the way it should be.
The same as the overrated "DTM' is loved in Germany and the "BTCC" revered by the British, all these series are 'Domestic' and none are relevant in real terms on the International stage.
:kilroy: You are correct,every country has it's own form of racing.You and I do have one in common and that would be sprint cars.Remember Dirts for racing and blacktop is for getting there.

wombat666
June 30th, 2011, 07:46
You are correct,every country has it's own form of racing.You and I do have one in common and that would be sprint cars.Remember Dirts for racing and blacktop is for getting there.

When I was a kid I loved a warm Saturday night in Summer at the long lost 'Tracey's Speedway'.
Only when they featured 'Speedway Bikes' and 'Midgets'.

Not a big fan of 'WOW' or winged Sprinters but I make the exception during our Summer months and try to make it to 'The Pool's' one mile paved oval, the Pucker factor is enormous!!!

:jump:

Daveroo
June 30th, 2011, 07:58
When I was a kid I loved a warm Saturday night in Summer at the long lost 'Tracey's Speedway'.

Not a big fan of 'WOW' or winged Sprinters but I make the exception during our Summer months and try to make it to 'The Pool's' one mile paved oval, the Pucker factor is enormous!!!

:jump:

i lived the WOO series here in the states back in the late 80s when i ran with them a few times and those big wing we ran back then saved my backside more than once...i had almost identical flips in a wingless car is CRA and a flip in CSRA winged car in california and i got "hurt" in the wingless car,,,not even a bruise in the winged car...plus the winged cars had more downforce and go faster,,but the wingless cars are squirrlier so harder to handle and therefore are more fun to drive,go to show you how long ago i drove,even the winged cars had the "headache bar" still,,,,LOL

Thoe6969
June 30th, 2011, 15:20

:jump:We've lost some good dirt tracks as of late also,the money situation is not good for anyone these days.