PDA

View Full Version : Head's Up, Guys; Beware this scam...

ThinkingManNeil
June 22nd, 2011, 15:36
Hi Guys;

There was a report on the "Consumer Alerts" of CFTO/CTV New (http://www.ctv.ca/consumer/index.html?vidId=488685#TopVideoAn)s last night about a scam that's going around trying to get people to surrender security and password information as well as allowing access to be gained to your computer under the guise of your computer being infected with garbage files, spyware, and viruses and that if you give them access to your computer remotely from their office. Well, DON'T BELIEVE IT!!! I just got one of these calls myself so I knew what it was so I told the caller to hang up and never call me again or the police would be notified. If you have up-to-date security software such as Norton's, McAfee, Comodo, or Microsoft Security Essentials stick with those, scan and defrag your system often and keep your security software updated. Microsoft or your computer manufacturer will never call you up asking for passwords or access to you system and people have apparently had thousands of dollars drained from their bank accounts over this.

Cheers,

N.

GT182
June 22nd, 2011, 17:05
I can believe getting an email like that but a phone call. That takes nerve.

I would have turned them in using Caller ID showing their number ... if it wasn't blocked. .

David_L6
June 22nd, 2011, 18:16
Not only can they block the number, they can fake it. i.e. The number that shows up on caller I.D. isn't valid.

stuartcox
June 23rd, 2011, 06:59
I was once contacted by Microsoft, after reporting some faulty software.
Everything went via email, and they did ask for permission to remotely access the settings on my computer. Great help too!
No phone calls though, sounds very dubious!

Stuart