PDA

View Full Version : A2A P-51 in FSX

jankees
December 8th, 2008, 11:00
I fear that a fully blown FSX A2A Mustang is still a thing of the distant future, so I'll have to be happy with the old one. Who else flies it in FSX too? I've fixed the holes in the panel, but the prop and glass textures remain annoying. However, to show that I'm ready, I've reworked John's textures to 2048x2048, to see how that would look...So far only for the Swedish Mustang, but I'm not unhappy with the results...check for yourself, what do you think?

CodyValkyrie
December 8th, 2008, 11:06
An FSX P-51 will indeed happen, but yes the near future is a bet you could place your money on. There is going to be a lot of work to get it up to standard.... this isn't going to be a simple "glass" fix.

If you want to see the direction the new P-51 is going in, take a look at the new Accusim P-47 when it comes out. Most of you guys won't recognize anything from the old plane! It should turn a lot of people's heads....

Please note, anything could change between now and then. I just produce videos and do a bit of helping out. A more official respone should come from Lewis, Scott or Rob.

SpaceWeevil
December 8th, 2008, 12:43
This is still one of my favourites. Prop, glass and panel niggles aside, it's still great to fly in FSX and it will do me for as long as it takes A2A to work their magic on it. I hope this paint makes it over to the new version!

BananaBob
December 8th, 2008, 13:00
It's a beauty Jan and great sunset/sunrise! :ernae:

jankees
December 8th, 2008, 13:36
If you want to see the direction the new P-51 is going in, take a look at the new Accusim P-47 when it comes out.

So, I have to take a look at something that isn't there yet? Not even a preview or ETA?
As far as I'm concerned, I'd be happy with a simple prop/glass update first, the model looks fine otherwise, but I guess we'll have to wait and see. It probably worth it though! (and we wait for the FSX B model too, I wonder which one will be first)

panel niggles aside,
that's real easy, just convert them to dds format and the holes are gone!

I hope this paint makes it over to the new version!

I'll have to see, I seem to have lost some of my original paintwork, and I have to redo all the little stencils, make them readable (I'd done that already for the Swedish version).

SpaceWeevil
December 8th, 2008, 15:00
Jan Kees, thanks for the tip about the panel, I'll try that. I'd managed to fill the holes by converting the two textures to DTX1 (no alpha) but hopefully dds will look better.

I can't think offhand of an FS9 warbird that looks or flies as well in FSX as this does, or one that has generated so many wonderful repaints - truly a classic.

jankees
December 9th, 2008, 11:43
Here's another one in 2048x2048 textures, Bob Eastgate's VH-BOB.
I still have to start on the stencils on the wings, but it looks good so far..I think so anyway, the textures are sharper, crispier, especially at dusk and dawn, and you get to read all those little stencils everywhere (check 3rd pic of Swedish bird).
Would you guys be interested in an upload when I've finished? They're 5 BIG files, 16 Mb each, so you'll need a powerful rig...

Spilot69
December 9th, 2008, 13:36
I have Accel and want to fly the 51 but have problems does anyone have a tempo fix for it for the prop glass and panel. If so can someone upload it or email it to me Spilot692000@yahoo.com

SpaceWeevil
December 9th, 2008, 13:48
I have Accel and want to fly the 51 but have problems does anyone have a tempo fix for it for the prop glass and panel. If so can someone upload it or email it to me Spilot692000@yahoo.com

No fix for the prop & glass until A2A re-make it for FSX, but if you use DXTBMP and convert the texture files Letterings 1 and 2 to dds format or DXT1 (no alpha) that will at least fill the holes in the VC.

huub vink
December 10th, 2008, 04:02
Perhaps you don't have to fear JanKees. I understand there will be a new Thunderbolt with accusim as weel. Nevertheless there is a FSX fix for the WWII fighters Thunderbolt.

Cheer up ;),
Huub

jankees
December 10th, 2008, 05:09
Perhaps you don't have to fear JanKees. I understand there will be a new Thunderbolt with accusim as weel. Nevertheless there is a FSX fix for the WWII fighters Thunderbolt.

Cheer up ;),
Huub

I know Huub, if I read the signs right, we first get a payware FSX/accusim update for the P-47 (which has already been updated for FSX), which will involve totally new textures as well. A chance to start repainting the jug anew...
After the second update for the P-47, it's the turn of the P-51, including accusim. Personally, I would have done it the other way round, but they are not my models. No sign of them on the horizon yet....so we'll have to make do with what we've got, which isn't bad at all!

DaveQ
December 10th, 2008, 07:00
No fix for the prop & glass until A2A re-make it for FSX, but if you use DXTBMP and convert the texture files Letterings 1 and 2 to dds format or DXT1 (no alpha) that will at least fill the holes in the VC.

To save time converting the files for each individual skin you can create a texture.shared folder and drop all the common .dds texture files in there. Also I've wound up the black in the prop.bmp alpha channel to minimise the prop disc problem. It's also possible to improve the framerate (if you think it's an issue) by converting all the texture files to .dds. There's a little routine out there somewhere that comprises an ms.dos file and an imagetool shortcut, that will convert all the files in a texture folder in seconds. All you then have do is to dump the .bmp ones. Can't remember where I found it.

PS a temporary fix for the glass and prop would be most welcome.
Regards

DaveQ