June 19th, 2011, 03:03
http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/2010/FX11363.jpg

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww230/jcblom60/2010/FX11360.jpg

skyblazer3
June 19th, 2011, 09:32
beautiful

skyblazer3
June 19th, 2011, 11:51
Does anyone know if there is a SF8 repaint for Ralph Parr's F-86F 51-12959, "Barb/Vent de la Morte"?

Parr is one of the last living double aces, and the most highly decorated living fighter pilot. He flew 641 combat missions in 3 wars. His birthday is on the 1st of July, and I plan to go see him shortly after that. I understand that he has been moved to an assisted living home and that he has no photographs there of his sabre.

It would be interesting to have a sabre in his aircraft's paint job. I'm not asking anyone to do it, I'm just wondering if it exists.

Pips
June 19th, 2011, 15:50
Some books you may want to get your hands that provides good pics of Parr's aircraft.

The best is "Mig Alley, Air to Air Combat Over Korea", by Larry Davis. It's a Squadron/Signal Publication.
i) On Page 48 is a very clear colour profile of #51-12959, the one you have.
ii) On Page 54 is an excellent photo of Parr standing by a seated Vice President Nixon (in his F-86).
iii) On Page 64 is a detailed mission description by Parr of one of his first in a F-86, the date being 7 June, 1953.
iv) On Page 68 is another great mission description by Parr, this one covering 27 July, 1953. This is the one where he scored his last victory, and also the last of kill of the War.
v) On Page 75 is a very clear photo of Parr standing with Moore, Garrison, Johnson and Jabara.
Also on that page is a picture of Parr's F-86 #24511 at the 4th FIW Team at the 1953 FEAF Gunnery Meet.
vi) Finally on the back page (#80) is a card photo set showing the 39 USAF aces of the Korean War - Parr being eighth on the list.

If you can get him that book, I'm sure he would really appreciate it. Many great photo's (quality is excellent) contained in it. Would bring back a LOT of memories of men he knew.

The other two books are not as detailed, but worth a look. One is the Osprey "Korean War Aces" by Robert Dorr and Jon Lake. Has a nice profile of Parr's F-86 #24778. In total he flew three F-86's in the War - 778, 955 and 959.

The last book is "Combat Legend F-86 Sabre" by Martin W. Bowman. On Page 30 it has a beautifully clear photo of Parr's #778 in flight, with pilots face clearly visible.

Just for the photo's those last two books are worthwhile.

Hope this helps. And I hope you enjoy your meeting with him.

skyblazer3
June 19th, 2011, 16:16
Thanks for the detailed information; I was actually looking at that book today on Amazon -- it looks like an incredible book. I'll see if I can get it off of Amazon in time for his birthday party.

I'm sure he has a copy somewhere, but for whatever reason he has been moved to an assisted living home without any of his personal items. All he has is an Air Force magazine with an article about him in it.

@Jan, Is that a new paint you did for the Sabre, or is it the same 4 kings and a queen from the original SF8 package? It looks great -- an amazing aircraft some three or four years after release.

Also, if you have not heard, the Horsemen aerobatic team that usually flies 3 P-51s is planning on doing 3 shows this year in F86s. I think a 3 ship of Sabres would be something to make an effort to see and hear.