PDA

View Full Version : A good and userfriendly editor for flight characteristics?

Cees Donker
June 16th, 2011, 08:50
Is there one you can think of? I am curious to try ACM (v2.5?), but there is no elegant way to obtain this proggy! Any good alternatives?

:kilroy:

Cees

Dangerousdave26
June 16th, 2011, 09:30
In my foray into Flight Dynamics I found that there is no one program you can use. In fact if you are attempting to get as close as possible to real published numbers and characteristics you will find you must use multiple programs.

Programs that I use

Aircraft Airfile Manager AAM version 2.2 by By Karl-Heinz Klotz search for aamv22.zip at www.flightsim.com

Airwrench by Jerry Beckwith http://www.mudpond.org/AirWrench_main.htm

Airupdate by Jerry Beckwith http://www.mudpond.org/AirUpdatePage.html

Editpadlite by Just Great Software Co. Ltd. Jan Goyvaerts

Mind you this is a text editor and the reason I included it here is it has the best search and replace function that I have found of all of the editors I have used. It comes in very handy when you are editing text files.

Of course you can use any text editor you wish.

I usually start off with airwrench as it can get you pretty close to what you want.

Once I have it close I start tweeking with AAM and making changes to the necessary tables with airupdate if necessary. From this point on I never touch airwrench again.

All of the programs have limitations but once you find them its not too bad to work with them.

Cees Donker
June 16th, 2011, 10:02
Thanks Dave. What about FSEdit? I can't get it to work. Is it any good?

Cees

Dangerousdave26
June 16th, 2011, 11:11
It is at best very basic when it comes to the Flight Model. There are many parts of the airfile it can not change.

To get it to work you must place all of the FSEdit files in the root folder of your FS9 installation and run it from there.

Flight Simulator does not need to be running to run FSEdit.

For me FSEdit always seemed quite buggy and tends to CTD.