PDA

View Full Version : Roland Laborie Rafale

flaviossa
June 16th, 2011, 03:11
Hello people,
There is a new Rafale available in simmarket.com today: RLABORIE - DASSAULT RAFALE
Price: 26.19 EUR

I think it´s the same guy from the Rollus Mirage. Can someone give more details about this one? The scrrens looks very nice, but i didn´t know that a rafale was in the works.

Thanks!

AndyG43
June 16th, 2011, 03:46
Yes, Monsieur Laborie was behind the Rollus Mirage 2000, and was (is) one of the team at the late lamented Gmax Academy. Frank (fsafranek) is the man to shed light on this one I think, fount of knowledge on all things Gallic!

Felixthreeone
June 16th, 2011, 04:26
Looks very nice.....USD works out to around $38, so I might pick it up depending on what the reviews come in saying; If it is half as good as his Mirage, then it is awinner

hae5904
June 16th, 2011, 04:52
Bought it!!

Awesome, I'd been following his progress since the beginning of his work at FSFrance.
Certainly was worth the wait.

Cheers,
Hank

aircraft_ozone
June 16th, 2011, 05:02
you can see the model of flight here !?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpFFN7KQlho

noddy
June 16th, 2011, 08:45

And a bad attempt at a carrier landing!!

fsafranek
June 16th, 2011, 08:50
Yes, Monsieur Laborie was behind the Rollus Mirage 2000, and was (is) one of the team at the late lamented Gmax Academy. Frank (fsafranek) is the man to shed light on this one I think, fount of knowledge on all things Gallic!
Yes, that is Roland's Rafale M. It looks pretty good in the video.
As he told me when answering questions for this preview page (http://www.mirage4fs.com/preview26.html) on
my website, "It will be certainly payware .... (full time, and too much work....)".

http://www.mirage4fs.com/preview26.html

The link to simmarket for more images and information is:
http://secure.simmarket.com/rlaborie-dassault-rafale.phtml

noddy
June 16th, 2011, 09:21
40148 40147 40146

flaviossa
June 16th, 2011, 09:27
Very beautiful screens noddy!
If someone from the buyers can do a mini-review about it, it will be very welcome.
I´m very tempted to buy it, but i´d like to know a little more about systems simulated, fps performance, carrier operations and so on.

Thanks!

noddy
June 16th, 2011, 11:25
No mini review sorry, just a couple of obversation really.

Afterburners need a little work on them, and there is bleed through around the exhausts. Might just be my machine?

Flying wise, seems very good.

A lot to read up on on the manual, and another start up procedure to follow!

Frame wise, my machine is a QX6850 oc to 3.67, with dual 460GTX cards and Windows 7 64 ultimat, I have fairly high settings and frames locked out at 20, and it seems to do fine even in cockpit, sorry can't tell you the average.

fsafranek
June 16th, 2011, 15:14
A lot to read up on on the manual, and another start up procedure to follow!
Translated to English or mostly still in French?

noddy
June 16th, 2011, 23:07
All in English, just lots of it! :icon_lol:

StormILM
June 16th, 2011, 23:27
This needs a sticky!

Bought the model and love it. It runs pretty good FPS wise on my aged but upgraded system. The folks with slower machines can get better FPS by going into the panel config VC section and adjusting the pixel size down. Doing that will cost a bit of resolution but not too bad from my testing. The model is incredible, the best Rafale model ever for FS. It looks great, flies great. It has a system startup process to get the engines and such going but after you run through it a few times, it's second nature and fairly quick. There a lot of features and eye candy built into the model that will give the user a lot of fun for a long time. Complaints? Only a couple. The sound file seems to recycle on my system(like it's looping every few seconds with the same sounds) but it may be my sound card and memory causing that and not on other systems. The other is the afterburner & engine fire. Like some of Roland's other models, name the F-8 and Mirage 2000-5, the constant flame effect inside the burner can is rather irritating and appears to be modeled in? I can live with the burner flame in AB but out of AB seeing a bright flame inside the burner can makes it look like the burners are on constant zone 1. The sounds can easily be fixed but the burners appear to be a bit more complicated. I know the latter can be fixed my a few methods and hopefully they will. The last little issue is that the model seems to tip over easy trapping on AI Carriers. I made the easy fix by widening out the main gear contact points. Problem solved!

Otherwise, the model is very much worth the $32 spent on it and I recommend it! I will be flying it a good while!

noddy
June 16th, 2011, 23:31
Storm,

Could you advise on the settings for the gear contact points?

Dag
June 17th, 2011, 06:39
This needs a sticky!

Bought the model and love it. It runs pretty good FPS wise on my aged but upgraded system. The folks with slower machines can get better FPS by going into the panel config VC section and adjusting the pixel size down. Doing that will cost a bit of resolution but not too bad from my testing. The model is incredible, the best Rafale model ever for FS. It looks great, flies great. It has a system startup process to get the engines and such going but after you run through it a few times, it's second nature and fairly quick. There a lot of features and eye candy built into the model that will give the user a lot of fun for a long time. Complaints? Only a couple. The sound file seems to recycle on my system(like it's looping every few seconds with the same sounds) but it may be my sound card and memory causing that and not on other systems. The other is the afterburner & engine fire. Like some of Roland's other models, name the F-8 and Mirage 2000-5, the constant flame effect inside the burner can is rather irritating and appears to be modeled in? I can live with the burner flame in AB but out of AB seeing a bright flame inside the burner can makes it look like the burners are on constant zone 1. The sounds can easily be fixed but the burners appear to be a bit more complicated. I know the latter can be fixed my a few methods and hopefully they will. The last little issue is that the model seems to tip over easy trapping on AI Carriers. I made the easy fix by widening out the main gear contact points. Problem solved!

Otherwise, the model is very much worth the $32 spent on it and I recommend it! I will be flying it a good while!

Ditto on the sound loop and burner but apart from that, a superb addon :-)

Warrant
June 17th, 2011, 08:53
Could someone upload some DVC screenies in multiple angles? I'd like to see the LOD, textures etc. How is the instrumentation in the DVC (e.g. the functionality)?

StormILM
June 17th, 2011, 08:57
Storm,

Could you advise on the settings for the gear contact points?

Noddy, here are the changes for the Rafale M:

[contact_points]
static_pitch = 0.549
static_cg_height = 6.0
tailwheel_lock = 0
gear_system_type = 1
point.0 = 1, 6.5, 0, -6.25, 5500, 0, 0.68, 45, 0.150, 2.5, 0.613, 1.5, 2.0, 0, 250, 280
point.1 = 1, -9.4, -14.50, -6.38, 5700, 1, 1.20, 0, 0.250, 2.5, 0.513, 3.0, 4.0, 2, 250, 280
point.2 = 1, -9.4, 14.50, -6.38, 5700, 2, 1.20, 0, 0.250, 2.5, 0.513, 3.5, 4.5, 3, 250, 280

The changes of the main gear separation (in red) are -14.50/14.50 which will prevent tipping over on trapping and the other changes, 5500/5700/5700 affect the vertical speed damage threshold which assures that you'll not have any failures landing on AI Carriers. I fully tested them and all works perfectly. The only negative effect is that with the main gear contact points being widened apart so far, the spray and landing tire smoke effects will not be properly aligned with the updated(invisible) contact points but you can comment out those effects in the config file if you wish. This modification need not be done to the Rafale C.

Storm

ZsoltB
June 17th, 2011, 09:13
Someone can create vapor effect?

peter12213
June 17th, 2011, 12:15
I'm working on it Zsolt mate! Should be ready soon using the skysim effect!

ZsoltB
June 17th, 2011, 12:28
I'm working on it Zsolt mate! Should be ready soon using the skysim effect!

Thank you my Friend!

:ernae:

peter12213
June 17th, 2011, 13:46
Its taking a while to do and is not as easy as the mirage unfortunately, but I will crack it soon enough, the effects just don't look right at the moment! Here take a look ..

Everytime I move the effects out they seem to double and it looks crap, so I need to have a re-think about what I'm doing. I have work tomorrow so, will have to do it on sunday maybe because I'm going out tomorrow night too!

StormILM
June 17th, 2011, 16:39
Pete, you might consider using the vapor effects from the Bookmark sim Draken. They are more uniform and cover the wings as well. It's worth a try. I may give it a whirl myself.

ZsoltB
June 17th, 2011, 20:16
Hmmm....looks good!

Thank you!

peter12213
June 18th, 2011, 04:56
I'll try those Draken effects thanks for the idea storm!

StormILM
June 18th, 2011, 14:20
I managed to extract the "always on" AB effects but the main burner flame is modeled in and has 2 textures in the main Rafale C folder that are tied to that modeled effect. If someone knows how to make those two textures transparent, then we may be able to add in a particle effect replacement. The stock AB effect to me kind of spoils the model a bit but I am sure it can be overcome fairly easily. Please, if anyone has suggestions/ideas, chime in!

peter12213
June 18th, 2011, 16:35
you ried the KO fx gauge?

Cleartheprop
June 19th, 2011, 11:35
It seems a great model.
What isn't that thread a sticky ?
I think the title should be
ROLLUS DASSAULT RAFALE RELEASED!

:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

ZsoltB
June 19th, 2011, 22:10
http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/3790/ntmrafale.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/18/ntmrafale.jpg/)

fsafranek
June 19th, 2011, 22:37
Interesting scheme. There are plenty of non-fiction Rafale Tiger Meet schemes that you could also do.

narah
June 20th, 2011, 03:18
I would like to purchase the rafale but don´t have acceleration. Why is it needed?
Will it work at all or is it, hopefully, related to navy ops only ?
thanks, thomas

ZsoltB
June 20th, 2011, 06:42
http://img804.imageshack.us/img804/1396/ntmrafale2.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/804/ntmrafale2.jpg/)

noddy
June 20th, 2011, 12:03
Noddy, here are the changes for the Rafale M:

[contact_points]
static_pitch = 0.549
static_cg_height = 6.0
tailwheel_lock = 0
gear_system_type = 1
point.0 = 1, 6.5, 0, -6.25, 5500, 0, 0.68, 45, 0.150, 2.5, 0.613, 1.5, 2.0, 0, 250, 280
point.1 = 1, -9.4, -14.50, -6.38, 5700, 1, 1.20, 0, 0.250, 2.5, 0.513, 3.0, 4.0, 2, 250, 280
point.2 = 1, -9.4, 14.50, -6.38, 5700, 2, 1.20, 0, 0.250, 2.5, 0.513, 3.5, 4.5, 3, 250, 280

The changes of the main gear separation (in red) are -14.50/14.50 which will prevent tipping over on trapping and the other changes, 5500/5700/5700 affect the vertical speed damage threshold which assures that you'll not have any failures landing on AI Carriers. I fully tested them and all works perfectly. The only negative effect is that with the main gear contact points being widened apart so far, the spray and landing tire smoke effects will not be properly aligned with the updated(invisible) contact points but you can comment out those effects in the config file if you wish. This modification need not be done to the Rafale C.

Storm

Cheers for that, and Zolt great looking paint schemes.

delta_lima
June 20th, 2011, 12:17
Bravo Zsolt for the repaints - they look awesome, as always!

And to the folks fixing some of the small errors - well done - greatly appreciated! I'm definitely going to save up for this model (why did my motorcycle have to break down right now ... :( )

cheers,

dl

ZsoltB
June 20th, 2011, 12:23
http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/6176/ntmrafale2x.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/19/ntmrafale2x.jpg/)

doublecool
June 21st, 2011, 15:11
It seems a great model.
What isn't that thread a sticky ?
I think the title should be
ROLLUS DASSAULT RAFALE RELEASED!

:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

???? :salute:

Bee Gee
June 22nd, 2011, 04:53

Hello

this is ma first message on SOH, I'am Bee Gee and I have de great chance to help my dear friend Rollus about flight dynamic

About the negative effect of the good idea, you may improve by changing this line in aircraft.cfg file:

[effects]
touchdown = fx_tchdwn_s, 1
(you may try also fx_tchdwn_m, 1)

All the test was be conducted on mobile Air carrier, so à fullstop carrier give you some pb to land safely on board, I work hard concerning tis problem et I will make an upgrade about this.

I apologize for my english, I'm à poor french pilote ! http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/icons/icon26.gif

a+

hae5904
June 22nd, 2011, 05:32
Storm, thanks for the updated contact points....had a hard time getting her on the Clem properly.:icon_lol:

Bee Gee, thanks for the effect update. Your flight dynamics expertise rocks!!
And your english "est très bien"!

Cheers and salut
Hank

StormILM
June 23rd, 2011, 09:37
Good news, I have been able to overcome the Afterburner gauge issues and also update the burner effect using only freeware components. So as of this afternoon, I am going to proceed with assembling the package and uploading it to the usual sites hopefully this afternoon/evening.

Update:

Just uploaded the new Afterburner Effects update to Flightsim.com and hopefully it will be online later this evening or tomorrow. Also included the fix for the Rafale M contact points to make it more stable on AI Carriers.

noddy
June 23rd, 2011, 11:31
Great news.

Many thanks.

peter12213
June 23rd, 2011, 11:51
Thats great looking forward to getting those thanks, I'm having no luck finding suitable 'G' effects the ones I've tried look crap, however I have been able to double the frame rates by applying a very simple modification, my pc is being overclocked at the moment so I'll post the how too when it's back from the shop, mines now runs like a default aircraft in even the most demanding scenery!

peter12213
June 23rd, 2011, 12:14
I was looking at the development video from 2009 and in the video the Rafale had great looking effect afterburners and awesome 'G' effects wonder why they weren't included?

StormILM
June 23rd, 2011, 14:03
Pete, the mapping of the Draken Vapor could probably fit the Rafale. So far that and Dino's F-35 Vapor are the only ones that react as they should under g-loading. I may have a look at that later and see if it can be done or not. I do know that both Dino and Thomas had changed their Vapor effect from a light effect to modeled in but I'm not sure how the latter is activated.

Chris Sykes
June 23rd, 2011, 16:11
just got this, very nice build, the usual points already made are true, but heres another one no one seems to have spotted, the left alerons dont move as much as the right side...

fsafranek
June 23rd, 2011, 19:14
I was looking at the development video from 2009 and in the video the Rafale had great looking effect afterburners and awesome 'G' effects wonder why they weren't included?
It is my understanding from reading somewhere that Roland had a a hard drive crash and lost a bunch of code for the Rafale that had to be rebuilt. That's probably why you see different stuff in videos from two years ago.

Bee Gee
June 24th, 2011, 00:47
http://www.rafalesolodisplay.com/demo.php

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpFFN7KQlho&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

peter12213
June 24th, 2011, 03:26
It is my understanding from reading somewhere that Roland had a a hard drive crash and lost a bunch of code for the Rafale that had to be rebuilt. That's probably why you see different stuff in videos from two years ago.

Ohh yeah i forgot about that, what a shame there were so many nice looking featres of that original model, still realy thankful and happy we have this one though.

Nice vid there to Jean. :wavey:

hae5904
June 24th, 2011, 04:54
Gents, maybe I overlooked, but for some reason my NAV2 doesn't show me the boat I want to land on?? The NAV2 displays normally, the frequency is set correctly, but still no direction to go to!

Cheers.

StormILM
June 24th, 2011, 11:00
My Afterburner update is up at Flightsim.com Be sure to follow the instructions carefully!

<center>FSX - FSX Modern Military</center> <center>FSX Rafale C/M Afterburner Update
</center> <center> [ Download (http://www.flightsim.com/kdl.php?fid=157177) | View (http://www.flightsim.com/zview.php?cm=list&fid=157177) ] </center>
Name: rafale_ab_udt.zip (http://www.flightsim.com/kdl.php?fid=157177) Size: 359,502 Date: 06-24-2011
FSX Rafale C/M Afterburner Update. This is an afterburner effects update for Roland Laborie' payware Rafale C and M jet fighter model. The files also include an update to aid in better stability for AI carrier (moving carrier) landings.

peter12213
June 24th, 2011, 11:16
Already downloaded really nice job, any chance you can have a try with the 'G' effects I just don't have the time to do it myself at the moment!

StormILM
June 24th, 2011, 12:39
Already downloaded really nice job, any chance you can have a try with the 'G' effects I just don't have the time to do it myself at the moment!

Pete, I will do what I can with the G-Effect Vapor and see if I can get some good advice from a couple of people on how to apply the effect and controller to both work properly and look good.

peter12213
June 24th, 2011, 12:52
Ok mate i'll keep trying when I can, I'm working a lot at the moment thats the only problem!

VaporZ
June 25th, 2011, 03:42
Good day from Quebec !

I recommend to everyone to keep an eye on this topic on the
"Pilote-Virtuel" french forum :

http://www.pilote-virtuel.com/viewtopic.php?id=32130&p=13

This is a non official "after sales" forum for this superb Rafale project
and there is some very interesting "tweaks" already proposed by
Roland Laborie's team of testers and developpers.

If you need any french to english translation send me a private message
about it and I will help you and also put it on this SOH topic.

Best regards
:mixedsmi:
VaporZ

jetstreamsky
June 25th, 2011, 05:05
VaporZ. Thanks for the link. It would be good if you could just briefly summarize the main points of discussion, perhaps just a list of proposals under consideration.

hae5904
June 25th, 2011, 07:07
Here's a small mod I added for better deck maneuverability:
Just increase the 45deg to 65deg.

point.0 = 1, 6.5, 0, -6.25, 5500, 0, 0.68, 65, 0.150, 2.5, 0.613, 1.5, 2.0, 0, 250, 280

Hank

Dave Torkington
June 25th, 2011, 23:10
http://img804.imageshack.us/img804/1396/ntmrafale2.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/804/ntmrafale2.jpg/)

Excellent repaints Zsoltquack :applause: are they available to download?

Thanks to everyone for sharing the 'tweaks' for the Rafale, especially the afterburner mod.

There's much more to this package than I first thought... A very very nice aircraft :salute:

VaporZ
June 26th, 2011, 01:59
Bee Gee is proposing on "Pilote-Virtuel" french forum two updates to make
on the "aircraft.cfg" files of both Rafale C and Rafale M.

Update 1 :

Open the "Aircraft.cfg" file
Go to "Effects"
Rewrite and Save

[effects]
touchdown = fx_tchdwn_s, 1
or
touchdown = fx_tchdwn_m, 1

This is to reduce the smoke effect of the tires during the landing impacts.

Update 2 :

Open the "Aircraft.cfg" file
Go to "Reference Speeds"
Rewrite ans Save

[Reference Speeds]
flaps_up_stall_speed=100.000
full_flaps_stall_speed=100.000
cruise_speed=460.000
max_mach=2.00
max_indicated_speed= 750

and add just after this :

[airspeed_indicators]
airspeed_indicator.0=0.867, 15.0

Actually, airspeed readings under FSX are wrong when you are at hight speed and low altitude.

This update will partially correct this problem.

A future "airspeed readings" update based on a programming similar to the one used on the "French Royal Navy" Étendard IVM is on the works.

In fact Bee Gee is confirming that these updates, and other ones, will be included
in a future "Updated" version of this Rafale for FSX
VaporZ

Stickshaker
June 26th, 2011, 10:19
It is a fantastic plane, but a simple startup procedure would come in very handy, or else, the possibility to save a flight after startup. When practicing carrier approaches it is rather unpractical to start the flight in a glide.

But for the rest: great! Glad that there now is a really good Rafale. Saw the original at the Paris Air Show last week.

peter12213
June 26th, 2011, 13:24
He start up is really easy once you know how it only takes around 20 seconds I'll try and post a how too if I get the chance!

Stickshaker
June 26th, 2011, 14:01
Hello Pete,
<o:p> </o:p>
Thanks for this effort, and I hope to learn from your advice. But it is not that I caanot start the Rafale in about 20 seconds. However, those 20 seconds mean that you cannot practically start a practice flight on approach to the carrier. I know it is more realistic to start from an airfield or a carrier and then fly to the approach, but I sometimes just want to make a quick carrier landing. So far I can do that wth the VRS Superbug (and even with the Etendard by quickly pressing ctl e) but not with the Rafale. But I am looking forward to possible tips you can give.<o:p></o:p>
Best regards,<o:p></o:p>
Stickshaker<o:p></o:p>

VaporZ
June 27th, 2011, 02:40
The start up procedure is very well explained on this video and then
quite easy to remember :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3DoHJi_ZIw

It became a second nature
VaporZ

ZsoltB
June 27th, 2011, 06:39
http://www.speedyshare.com/files/29174542/texture.NTM.zip

Dave Torkington
June 27th, 2011, 06:55
http://www.speedyshare.com/files/29174542/texture.NTM.zip

Thank you Zsoltquack! Very kind indeed :salute:

Regards, Dave.

p.s. Sorry, but I think there's perhaps one texture file missing ['extradosG_T.dds'] for the 'eyes' on the canards?

ZsoltB
June 27th, 2011, 07:18
Thank you Zsoltquack! Very kind indeed :salute:

Regards, Dave.

p.s. Sorry, but I think there's perhaps one texture file missing ['extradosG_T.dds'] for the 'eyes' on the canards?

Hi Dave,

http://www.speedyshare.com/files/29175140/extradosG_T.zip

I'm Sorry,

Enjoy!

Regards,
Zsolt

Dave Torkington
June 27th, 2011, 07:45
Hi Dave,

http://www.speedyshare.com/files/29175140/extradosG_T.zip

I'm Sorry,

Enjoy!

Regards,
Zsolt

Hey, no worries. Thanks again :salute:

Dave.

Stickshaker
June 27th, 2011, 07:53
The start up procedure is very well explained on this video and then
quite easy to remember :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3DoHJi_ZIw

It became a second nature
VaporZ

Very nice, VaporZ. Thanks for the heads-up.

ZsoltB
June 27th, 2011, 09:41
http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/6282/argentj.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/30/argentj.jpg/)

ZsoltB
June 27th, 2011, 12:30
http://www.speedyshare.com/files/29177667/texture.ECE_5_330_Cote_d_Argent.zip

peter12213
June 28th, 2011, 12:25
Thanks so much for these awesome textures mate! :salute:

VaporZ
June 29th, 2011, 05:11
http://www.speedyshare.com/files/29177667/texture.ECE_5_330_Cote_d_Argent.zip

Thank you very much zsoltquack for this superb repaint !

Could you try to do the special "30,000 hours" scheme used on two Rafale C
for the 2011 airshow season and presented in flight last week during the
"Salon Aéronautique du Bourget 2011 ?

http://www.airliners.net/photo/France---Air/Dassault-Rafale-C/1938425/L/&sid=a0e10607f8dd983904f2c2485aac47ad

http://www.airliners.net/photo/France---Air/Dassault-Rafale-C/1938424/L/&sid=a0e10607f8dd983904f2c2485aac47ad

I have a lot of other reference material for this scheme.
Send me a private message if needed !

Could you eventually produce "what if" repaints of current potential future Rafale
customers like :

Brazil
India
Qatar
United Arab Emirates

You can be as realistic as possible for these "what if" repaints by inspiring yourself with the current marking positions of the Mirage 2000 fleets of these Air Arms !

Thanks in advance !
VaporZ

ZsoltB
June 29th, 2011, 07:59
Hello,

Yes!
But unfortunately there is no paintkit!
Sorry,

Zsolt

vonstroheim
July 2nd, 2011, 13:20
I'd like to know how the new Rafale compares to the Rollus Mirage 2000-5 for FSX. I'm a big fan of Rollus work, but on my small crapy laptop his Mirage is not very FPS efficient (radar, pfd, mfd and such are a bit on the heavy side). Would you say the Rafale is similar, or better than the Mirage? Thanks!

fox18delta
July 3rd, 2011, 00:46
I'd like to know how the new Rafale compares to the Rollus Mirage 2000-5 for FSX. I'm a big fan of Rollus work, but on my small crapy laptop his Mirage is not very FPS efficient (radar, pfd, mfd and such are a bit on the heavy side). Would you say the Rafale is similar, or better than the Mirage? Thanks!

I run a stock Dell Inspiron 530, 2 years old. This is a tough call, as we all can operate such different hardware for FSX.
I get 35 FPS at MCAS Yuma Arizona with FSX aircraft like the freeware Royale French Navy Etendard, Iris A-10 and Dino's F-35 . The VRS Hornet gets 25-30 fps consistently at Yuma. The Rafale gets 20-24 in the same area and much lower in more even dense areas in FSX. The other aircraft mentioned still maintain good frame rates in dense areas but I wouldnt fly the Rafale in a really Dense area like LAX for example, as my frames get unacceptably low. However in those areas, the Rollus Mirage 2000 runs well, 20-26 fps. I really hope the Rafale gets an update to help frames as it looks great and is a fine addition to FSX. This has been my been my experience in FSX. Hope it helps with your decision.

VaporZ
July 24th, 2011, 02:42
I run a stock Dell Inspiron 530, 2 years old. This is a tough call, as we all can operate such different hardware for FSX.
I get 35 FPS at MCAS Yuma Arizona with FSX aircraft like the freeware Royale French Navy Etendard, Iris A-10 and Dino's F-35 . The VRS Hornet gets 25-30 fps consistently at Yuma. The Rafale gets 20-24 in the same area and much lower in more even dense areas in FSX. The other aircraft mentioned still maintain good frame rates in dense areas but I wouldnt fly the Rafale in a really Dense area like LAX for example, as my frames get unacceptably low. However in those areas, the Rollus Mirage 2000 runs well, 20-26 fps. I really hope the Rafale gets an update to help frames as it looks great and is a fine addition to FSX. This has been my been my experience in FSX. Hope it helps with your decision.

On a Rafale topic found on french "Pilote-Virtuel" discussion forum, it seems there
is an update now available at FlightSim.Com that modified the afterburner and other
small corrections in such a manner that its enhanced the FPS performance of this quite "FPS Heavy" payware.

Its here :

<center>FSX - FSX Modern Military</center> <center>FSX Rafale C/M Afterburner Update
</center> <center> [ Download (http://www.flightsim.com/kdl.php?fid=157177) | View (http://www.flightsim.com/zview.php?cm=list&fid=157177) ] </center>
Name: rafale_ab_udt.zip (http://www.flightsim.com/kdl.php?fid=157177) Size: 359,502 Date: 06-24-2011 Downloads: 260
FSX Rafale C/M Afterburner Update. This is an afterburner effects update for Roland Laborie' payware Rafale C and M jet fighter model. The files also include an update to aid in better stability for AI carrier (moving carrier) landings. By Bry Hardee.

I did not try it yet
Stay tuned ! for comparative FPS "before and after" results
VaporZ

SADT
July 24th, 2011, 19:25

Hi Frank,

I know that Rollus' Mirage 2000 has switches that make a noise when you click on them.. I wonder why this Rafale does not?

Craig :-)

1970LT1
September 20th, 2011, 19:49
Gents,

Any updates to this thread? Have the FPS been improved? Is there now a quick start option? Any other thoughts on this bird? I'm considering taking the plunge and would like to hear how you all like it?

Regards,

LT1

CG_1976
September 20th, 2011, 23:48
This Rafale has gotten my attention as of late. Any fictional paints out there like RCAF 425Sq?? I need a twin to test against the Euro and Hornet in Arctic trials.

peter12213
September 21st, 2011, 02:57
I think the only repaints were the ones Zsolt did, and they were all french ones, personally I'd love to see some fictional ones.

fsafranek
October 15th, 2011, 07:16
Only those mentioned above for this one but there are a few new fictional repaints of
the Rafale by Thor's Hammer. One overall black, one in a green/brown wraparound camo
with Brazil Air Force markings and one in blue/gray camo. All three look nice. There is
no paint kit for either release but folks have worked around it.

vonstroheim
October 25th, 2011, 08:53
Sad news: Due to copyright issues or similar licencing matters, Dassault lawyers forced Roland Laborie (rollus) and Jean-Pierre Bourgeois (beegee) to remove their Payware FSX Rafale from SimMarket. Not sure why, but this is what I understood from the french pilote-virtuel forum: "only Dassault can sell Dassault branded products".

The freeware FSX Dassault Rafale by Thor Hammer (and other freeware Dassault aircrafts) are safe, because they are not for sale...

warchild
October 25th, 2011, 09:10
That kind of news though a relief too hear that Thor's is still there, none the less pisses me off to the point i want to go and make an exact model of the flight characteristics of their precious little plane just to piss Dassault off..

flaviossa
October 25th, 2011, 09:15
Wow .... sad news endeed. :isadizzy:
What is happening to this world????

EDIT: Pam, you got my vote!!!

DaveKDEN
October 25th, 2011, 09:20
Absolutely incredible! The Mighty Dassault threatened by an FS add-on. Rediculous.

hschuit
October 25th, 2011, 09:26
Absolutely incredible! The Mighty Dassault threatened by an FS add-on. Rediculous.

Of course they feel threatened, Rollus did what AMD could not: Export the Rafale outside France :wiggle:

hae5904
October 25th, 2011, 09:27
Unbelievable......but I do remember a similar issue with American Airlines textures...way way back in time.

But another point of interest, what if I want to re-download the file from Simmarket? I'll check the website.

Cheers,
Hank

fsafranek
October 25th, 2011, 09:58
Of course they feel threatened, Rollus did what AMD could not: Export the Rafale outside France :wiggle:
HAHAHAHA Sadly very true! :icon_lol:

fsafranek
October 25th, 2011, 09:59
That kind of news though a relief too hear that Thor's is still there, none the less pisses me off to the point i want to go and make an exact model of the flight characteristics of their precious little plane just to piss Dassault off..
Do it. Please.

DaveKDEN
October 25th, 2011, 10:07

Beauty!!!:applause:

fsafranek
October 25th, 2011, 10:35
Sad news: Due to copyright issues or similar licencing matters, Dassault lawyers forced Roland Laborie (rollus) and Jean-Pierre Bourgeois (beegee) to remove their Payware FSX Rafale from SimMarket. Not sure why, but this is what I understood from the french pilote-virtuel forum: "only Dassault can sell Dassault branded products".

The freeware FSX Dassault Rafale by Thor Hammer (and other freeware Dassault aircrafts) are safe, because they are not for sale...
Interesting. When I was putting the manual together for Mark Harper's Flanker (http://www.flight1.com/products.asp?product=su27flanker) I had originally included a Sukhoi company logo on the manual cover. I thought it looked cool (which it did) and had also done it on the new Mirage manual but Mark insisted I take them off. Didn't want to appear as if they were sanctioned even though I had included a disclaimer.

Well, if Roland simple renamed it and edited all documentation to remove "Dassault" he might be able to sell it again. Surely they don't have a trademark on "Rafale"?

SeanTK
October 25th, 2011, 11:29
Sad to hear, but to put things into perspective, the FS team was making money off of another company's "product" in a sense (not saying he was ill intentioned...it just is what it is), and Dassault does have a right to channel all branded merchandise with a monetary value through them.
Yes, yes, yes, I know the argument is "but it's free advertising for them!" and the like.
If a niche hobby addon has that much pull as an advertisement for a multi-million dollar military aircraft, then something is very, very wrong.

If this payware team didn't have approval to make money off of Dassault's product, then that's the way it is. Again, it's very unfortunate for us, but it makes business sense. Nickels and dimes for Dassault compared to their ROI on the real deals, but it's still a monetary gain from their product, and this time, their legal team caught it.

Obviously, other aircraft companies do take a different stance to this, and even help some developers (thinking of Lionheart Creation's products here), but I see the reasoning behind Dassault's decision....although I agree that it is unfortunate.

All in all, some companies turn a blind eye (or even help), but others want to be (and have every right to be) more protective of their products and services.

StormILM
October 25th, 2011, 12:24
This is sadly a case of how petty and greedy a large corporation's legal dept can be. My understanding is that Dassault won't even license outside commercial products such as flightsim models, etc. Sure, I agree it is their trademark name and they have right to control/sanction it but the aircraft itself, the Rafale in this case technically could be public domain since it is a taxpayer funded military aircraft, not wholly owned by Dassault. Years ago here in the states, there was a major fight between two software companies who developed a stand alone F-22 model. One company actually was licensed by Lockheed Martin on the product and the other wasn't. The fight was headed to court before the Secretary of the Air Force stepped in and issued a statement declaring that the F-22A Raptor name was public domain and no one had right to license it at will. Of course the other software company never actually used the Lockheed name/logo so they went ahead with their product.

In the case of Rolland's Rafale, perhaps simple renaming on the product/removing the Dassualt name can resolve the issue? If not, maybe re-release it as freeware with the option of a donation. In any case, this whole matter is sad and personally having been a first day customer of the Rafale, knowing the high quality of this model I would tend to think that Dassault might actually be proud of this representation of the Rafale in this model.

I know these legal/licensing debates have been run over well before now and I don't want to throw more gas on that fire but I truly hope this isn't yet another episode that will lead to further erosion of high end FSX developments.

1970LT1
October 25th, 2011, 17:11
And I was just about to get this. What a bummer!

Regards,

LT1

danyboy21
October 25th, 2011, 20:13
It's just pathetic from AMD. The work of Rollus could only make them good publicity, and now they are ridiculous. I board shame on them !

noddy
October 25th, 2011, 23:16
A real shame, luckily I got mine when it first came out.

fantumfan2003
October 26th, 2011, 23:45
some years ago there was a freeware standalone Rafale sim being developed and beta's were released....It was pretty good...v/c and all....dassault canned it too saying that it was too realistic LOL...................If DCS can come out with an active duty a/c like the A-10C why can't Dassault ?
A real shame, luckily I got mine when it first came out.

fallenphoenix1986
October 27th, 2011, 10:11
Because someones lawyers really have too much time on thier hands...

Craig

lazarus
October 27th, 2011, 10:34
He should 're-brand' it as the 'Dissonant Squall' and put her back on. Simple. I see lawyers on the continent are as bone headed as else where, eh?

fsafranek
October 27th, 2011, 13:29
If DCS can come out with an active duty a/c like the A-10C why can't Dassault ?
Because DCS (http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/series/warthog/) never uses the manufacturer's name in the product. An "A-10C" could be any manufacturer's model number for anything -- a shoe, a hat, a bolt. No copyright there. And a "Warthog" is an animal the runs around in the forest. But "Fairchild Republic" is the name of an aircraft manufacturer and they do own that.

Honestly if he were to just remove any and all reference to "Dassault" he should be fine. Rafale is just a French word for "gust".

VaporZ
October 28th, 2011, 03:00
Because DCS (http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/series/warthog/) never uses the manufacturer's name in the product. An "A-10C" could be any manufacturer's model number for anything -- a shoe, a hat, a bolt. No copyright there. And a "Warthog" is an animal the runs around in the forest. But "Fairchild Republic" is the name of an aircraft manufacturer and they do own that.

Honestly if he were to just remove any and all reference to "Dassault" he should be fine. Rafale is just a French word for "gust".

I think Frank you have direct contacts with Roland Laborie.

Do you know if he intend to re-release its Rafale as a payware without any "Dassault Aviation" names
or as a freeware ?

Personnally, I think the most intelligent way would be a joint venture between Dassault Aviation and Roland Laborie
with all profits of the FSX Rafale sales going to a charity organisation.
VaporZ

fsafranek
October 28th, 2011, 09:07
I sent a note earlier this week when I learned why it
had been taken down but haven't heard back yet.

Bone
December 8th, 2011, 17:37
OK, it's been awhile. Has anyone heard what the status of the Roland's Rafale is?

fsafranek
December 8th, 2011, 21:37
OK, it's been awhile. Has anyone heard what the status of the Roland's Rafale is?
In a note on October 31st Roland told me the sale of his Rafale was stopped by
Dassault Aviation and that he was on standby waiting for a license to start selling it again.

thunder100
December 8th, 2011, 23:48

But Dassault has a (big) meaning to them,as this was Macel Bloch's name in La resistance.

Roland

PS:as recently Swiss Airforce declined the Rafale(vs Gripen)they may need any advertising they eventually can get

Bone
December 9th, 2011, 05:13
Thanks for the replies, Roland and Frank. I was intending to get the Rafale when it came out, but my summer flying schedule was so hectic I missed the opportunity....then *poof*, the Rafale was gone.

Steve

Mach3DS
December 9th, 2011, 07:12
http://www.pilote-virtuel.com/viewtopic.php?id=32130&p=36

Scroll down and see Rollus' post. -- He's got a Rafale B coming...

fsafranek
December 9th, 2011, 07:31
http://www.pilote-virtuel.com/viewtopic.php?id=32130&p=36

Scroll down and see Rollus' post. -- He's got a Rafale B coming...
Yes, it's going to be a very nice one. Hopefully he will leave "Dassault" off the title
of this one since everyone knows who makes them by now.

1970LT1
December 9th, 2011, 19:50
This is great news as I really wanted to get this one. Looking forward to the license being issued for the A and for the future B!

Regards,

LT1

Sundog
December 10th, 2011, 10:08
That B looks awesome! I'll have to get that and the A when they become available. I missed the A the first time as well.

1970LT1
December 29th, 2011, 19:19
Any news of whether Roland is getting close to putting his Rafale A back up for sale again. I want this bad.

Regards,

LT1

jonnyramjet
May 10th, 2012, 21:41
I know my post is just a little left of topic however I have been eating alot of nasty sand in a place I did not want to be, BUT could someone please update me, when I was leaving.. The Mirage 2000 was a big deal, I just read about the release of the Rafael.... BUT DOGGONNIT I never got to the Mirage 2k... and I can not fine it anywhere, did the project blowup or what..... I was salivating when I left country so please forgive my ignorance ? can anyone help me and fill me in:ques:

hschuit
May 11th, 2012, 00:01
Roland closed his website some time after releasing the Mirage 2000-F5 in August 2009. Those who got it in time were lucky, afaik you cannot get it anymore. He also showed images of a 2000C WIP but that went silent. The good news is there is a very talented team that has started a new deux-mille project:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?65502-Mirage-2000C-for-FSX-from-Metal2Mesh

BTW: The download link was also on Frank Safranek's site http://www.mirage4fs.com/ but that link is dead now.

fsafranek
May 17th, 2012, 07:40
BTW: The download link was also on Frank Safranek's site http://www.mirage4fs.com/ but that link is dead now.
Thanks. I'll fix that. Ever hopeful I guess.