PDA

View Full Version : Another Warbird Trashed by Idiots

Smashing Time
June 15th, 2011, 15:48
http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_localsfo/20110615/ts_yblog_localsfo/crane-fails-in-placing-plane-on-pedestal-at-former-alameda-naval-air-station

:kilroy:

Kiwikat
June 15th, 2011, 16:05
Wheres that facepalm pic when you need it...

aeromed202
June 15th, 2011, 16:19
Really, what ever became of pride and expertise in your work? I like the dude calmly walking beside a teetering 5 ton object. Looks like a glancing blow at least.

andersel
June 15th, 2011, 18:18
Now that is just plain sad. And rather disgusting.

LA

TARPSBird
June 15th, 2011, 19:06
Kiwi, here ya go...

Allen
June 15th, 2011, 21:12
http://i633.photobucket.com/albums/uu56/808andy/Third-party-facepalm.jpg (javascript:void(0);)

deathfromafar
June 15th, 2011, 21:57
That sucks! I've seen 3 crane accidents like that in my own city and all 3 involved heavy monuments. Notice though the tough old A-4 takes a beating like that and remains mostly intact! I figure the crane operator/company has liability insurance so perhaps the restorers can get the $$$ to fix the bird and try again.

Terry
June 16th, 2011, 03:37
one more.

lifejogger
June 16th, 2011, 03:56
The crane operator was probably talking on his cell phone.</SPAN>

Railrunner130
June 16th, 2011, 04:15
That sucks, but it is repairable. At least nobody was hurt and the airplane wasn't airworthy anyway. Aircraft that have been put on a stick unfortunately are nothing more than a shell at that point. However, that turns into an advantage when it comes to fixing damage like this.

Okami
June 16th, 2011, 04:40
... Same guys that did last week's swimming pool...?

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?54515-One-not-so-great-day

Surely, you'd have thought they learnt something from that experience...?

Trans_23
June 16th, 2011, 08:13
I have never operated a crane but have spent a lot of time on digger derrick trucks. The type used by utilities for line work. Operation of these are basically the same but on a smaller load scale. There are load charts (or should be) for the operators reference. With a crane, the reference chart includes what you can lift depending on the counter weights you have on the rig. Wind speed also comes into play with cranes. The footing of the outriggers should really be a no-brainer for an experienced operator. The common denominator in the recent videos posted here is that the boom of the crane was lowered to a very low angle to reach out across to the point of placement of the load. This greatly decreases the amount of weight the crane can lift safely. As an example: Pick up a fifty pound weight with one hand, then try to pick up the same weight with your arm fully extended. Where this crane might have been able to pick a 5 ton load with the boom at a high angle, it might only be able to pick a load of a few hundred pounds at a low angle. I the end it is the operators responsibility to know the charts at the configuration of his machine. Sometimes the lowest bidder isn't the best choice.

SpitXIV
June 16th, 2011, 09:01
Aren't crane operators supposed to have commercial licenses like truck drivers?