PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice

AussieMan
June 13th, 2011, 23:51
G'day folks. I am in need of a little help but not sure if this is the right place to ask. I have just upgraded my computer but keep getting a message about high CPU useage when running FSX.

First off some specs:

Gigabyte P67A-UD3-B3 Motherboard. Intel i5-2500 3.3GHz 6MJB Cache LGA1155 95W processor, 8GB KVR1333D3N9 RAM NVidia GT9600 video card 3.5TB of HDD space.

What I would like to know how I can set the CPU to have at least one core for the system and have the remainder available for use with FSX.

The main inprovement I have noticed is that my FPS at my default airport of YSCH has jumped from around 12-15 up to 30-40.

Also I am not really interested in overclocking.

Hoping for some help.

Cheers
Pat.

dharris
June 14th, 2011, 06:33
I get the same message when using fsx, it is normal as fsx uses all the cpu it can get. I have a dual core and just set one core to use fsx and have never had a problem. I would not worry about the message though. I used task manager to set the affinity. Just my two cents

gigabyte
June 14th, 2011, 16:45
Just my opinion, but unless you are having specific problems like the message poping up and interfreing with the sim or some performance issues it might not be worth the hassle to try and "fix it". You are seeing a very nice FPS improvement from what you stated and if that is the norm for your flights I would leave well enough alone.

There are a few utilities that "tweak" unneeded processes and CPU balancing etc, but in my expereince there was little effect on real oerformance - your mileage may vary...

I have used (and still do at times) IOBit Game Booster, it is really a Process Manager, but it does improve things noticably for me, it's a freeware app avaliable here - http://www.iobit.com/download.html .

There is another one called CPU Control, (can't find the link right now) but I have had limited success with it.