PDA

View Full Version : OT girl flies with no arms

Thoe6969
December 8th, 2008, 03:50
http://www.gadling.com/2008/12/04/woman-flies-plane-with-her-feet/?icid=200100397x1214920257x1200946980 All I can say is amazing.

Panther_99FS
December 8th, 2008, 04:04
http://www.gadling.com/2008/12/04/woman-flies-plane-with-her-feet/?icid=200100397x1214920257x1200946980 All I can say is amazing.

:applause::medals:

Nick C
December 8th, 2008, 04:44
Superb, an inspirational lady.

harleyman
December 8th, 2008, 04:49
WOW....Not thats a great story.......

Kudos to the young lady....:applause:

Snuffy
December 8th, 2008, 08:06
WOW!!! :applause:

warbird861
December 8th, 2008, 08:09
That's really amazing :applause:

cheezyflier
December 8th, 2008, 09:06
very cool that she can fly! :applause::ernae::medals:
however, there is one thing that needs to be pointed out.
how the heck could she get her black belt in tae-kwon-do when she cannot do most of the forms? she is incapable of doing 85% of the techniques. she's a pretty girl, and very determined. she deserves lots of credit for not letting her disability limit her. however, giving her a black belt in korean karate is a little patronizing.

euroastar350
December 8th, 2008, 17:03
Very awesome:ernae:

Prowler1111
December 8th, 2008, 17:30
very cool that she can fly! :applause::ernae::medals:
however, there is one thing that needs to be pointed out.
how the heck could she get her black belt in tae-kwon-do when she cannot do most of the forms? she is incapable of doing 85% of the techniques. she's a pretty girl, and very determined. she deserves lots of credit for not letting her disability limit her. however, giving her a black belt in korean karate is a little patronizing.

And then some....couldnīt agree more!

Prowler

n4gix
December 8th, 2008, 20:27
I swear, I honestly do NOT see the need for anyone to dismiss this young woman's accomplishments.

"She started tae kwon-do when she was 10 and earned her first black belt at fourteen in the International Tae Kwon-Do Federation. In college, she rejoined the American Tae Kwon-Do Association and earned a second black belt."

These are simply not awarded to anyone who cannot complete the full requirements.

http://wc.arizona.edu/papers/97/70/01_1.html

Jessica actually learned and practices the original Korean form named Taek Kyon (Way of the Feet). It wasn't until General Choi Hong Hi blended Japanese Karate and Taek Kyon into a single form that it became known as Tae Kwon Do, which means "the way of the feet and the hands", and this name was officially adopted on April 11th, 1955.

http://e-martialfitness.com/pages/taekwondo.html

Thoe6969
December 9th, 2008, 04:44
I swear, I honestly do NOT see the need for anyone to dismiss this young woman's accomplishments.

"She started tae kwon-do when she was 10 and earned her first black belt at fourteen in the International Tae Kwon-Do Federation. In college, she rejoined the American Tae Kwon-Do Association and earned a second black belt."

These are simply not awarded to anyone who cannot complete the full requirements.

http://wc.arizona.edu/papers/97/70/01_1.html

Jessica actually learned and practices the original Korean form named Taek Kyon (Way of the Feet). It wasn't until General Choi Hong Hi blended Japanese Karate and Taek Kyon into a single form that it became known as Tae Kwon Do, which means "the way of the feet and the hands", and this name was officially adopted on April 11th, 1955.

http://e-martialfitness.com/pages/taekwondo.html My feelings exactly, but there are allways some that try to find negatives with everything.God Bless Her:medals:

cheezyflier
December 9th, 2008, 06:06
My feelings exactly, but there are allways some that try to find negatives with everything.God Bless Her:medals:

i wasn't knocking her. i had nothing but good things to say about her.
if they had said she recieved her belt in taek kyon, i could have looked it up and seen it was entirely foot based. however, they said tae kwon do, which is not. the achievement of her belt in taek kyon is awesome, no question about it. however, her getting a black belt in tae kwon do is impossible without arms, just like i said. it was in no way meant as a slight to her.

"Ms. Cox's promotion to black belt will be a unique event in the ATA. She will be the first student to reach the rank of first degree black belt who was born 'amelia', or entirely without arms," said Perry, a 2002 tae kwon do world champion in sparring.

"Having Ms. Cox at the UA club gave an exciting challenge to the instructors who were forced to create an entire color belt curriculum, in the spirit of the original curriculum, for a student to perform entirely with her legs and feet," she said.
WILL SEBERGER/Arizona Daily Wildcat Psychology and economics sophomore Duane Skites, left, attacks material science graduate student Anand D'Suany last night in a tae kwon do sparring match. The two will compete tonight for a higher belt degree.

Cox, who has been practicing martial arts since age 10 and already has a black belt in a different form of tae kwon do, said she is grateful for Perry's efforts to create moves especially for her.

"Sarah Perry came up with a completely different form of martial arts," Cox said. "It's definitely a challenge."

Thoe6969
December 9th, 2008, 11:16
if they had said she recieved her belt in taek kyon, i could have looked it up and seen it was entirely foot based. however, they said tae kwon do, which is not. the achievement of her belt in taek kyon is awesome, no question about it. however, her getting a black belt in tae kwon do is impossible without arms, just like i said. it was in no way meant as a slight to her. No problem,I started this thread because we can all use a heartwarming piece of news these days.All I was concerned with was Her flying ability.

Spikehughes
December 9th, 2008, 11:39
Inspirational. A testimonial to the human spirit of can do!!!!!

n4gix
December 9th, 2008, 14:44

It's not just you, but on some other forums there are those who opine that she "shouldn't be allowed to fly" because "she can't work the rudder pedals," not bothering to learn that the LSA a/c she soloed in doesn't have rudder pedals!" In fact, both the rudder and nosewheel steering are linked to the control yoke. :applause:

Another person implied that it is nothing but a "publicity stunt" to enhance her business of being a "motivational speaker..."

When you wrote that "giving her a black belt in korean karate is a little patronizing" the implication is that they (the jurors) lowered the standards just to make her look good.

I sure as heck wouldn't want to be the fool who tried to attack her in a dark alley! :isadizzy:

cheezyflier
December 9th, 2008, 19:25
she looked like a competent pilot to me, in the video, although i'm certainly no expert. fully functional people (me for instance) should be ashamed of themselves when they see what she has managed to accomplish.

When you wrote that "giving her a black belt in korean karate is a little patronizing" the implication is that they (the jurors) lowered the standards just to make her look good.

that's exactly what i meant, before i knew that it was for taek kyon and not tae kwon do. the difference is significant, in this case. in that dark alley you mentioned, for me it wouldn't matter if she knew no martial arts at all.
my fighting days are long gone, and so are my running away days. :icon_lol: