PDA

View Full Version : not sure if I should post this here

hurricane3
June 8th, 2011, 18:39
I don't know if this is the correct forum to post this question in ,but here goes anyway. For some reason I can no longer change file extension names , like readme files. I try to and it says if I change it ,it may no longer become usable, and will go to a file that I can't open ,the one with what looks like a rectange with a bunch of colored dots.
I looked in folder options but could find nothing that would seem to apply, anyone know what to change so I can rename folders like I used to?

Lionheart
June 8th, 2011, 21:46
The new Windows security systems are crazy. You must turn those off. One of the reasons I went back to WinXP from vista, (cough).

If you turn some file extensions to other formats, you do indeed ruin the files, or change them to unreadable things. A TXT cannot become a BMP or JPG, etc. You know that though. Some poeple do not. Very few formats can be changed to another without losing its readability.

BurningBeard
June 9th, 2011, 04:37
I will often change the file extension designator to save an original version, ie, config.ini to config.inix. That does indeed make it unreadable. To make it readable again I just remove the x. You cannot change the type of file by just renaming the extension, it still remains the original file type but unusable because the computer will not know what to do with it. To do that you need some sort of conversion program, like with a graphics program, you can open a bmp and then save it as a jpg.

Beard

hurricane3
June 9th, 2011, 04:48
What I can't understand is I'am running Windows XP Home and have always in the past been able to rename files. Now all of a sudden I can't. Could it be a Windows update that caused this change?

napamule
June 10th, 2011, 02:22
Hur,
I hear your pain. Bugs the heck out of me too. But, there are ways to get around this.

I rename ALL my 'aircraft.cfg' to 'aircraft.cfg.txt' so it will not get deleted when I do a system restore to a date before cfg was originally created. You can still dbl-clk to open it (it's 'txt'). But I could rename to 'aircraft.back' and still 'force' XP to open with Notepad. Read below for example. The 'trick' is to start with right-click AFTER you rename it.

For readme I have right-clicked on file, renamed it to 'readme.txt.bck' and got the warning but ignore it, and hit enter ('OK'). I then go right-click the renamed file, go to 'Open With' and un-ck 'Always Open With', yet pick Notepad then click 'OK'. When I dbl-click it opens with Notepad in spite of the extension (*.bck). This is one way to 'force it'. This can be done with any extension such as txt, diz, doc, cfg, log, ini, etc. I use XP. But a 'doc' will not look right in notepad. Or a bmp (dah). So you are only limited by what you have to open a file. Notepad, IExplorer (for xml?), Paint, Wins Fax and Image Viewer (which is that (icon) 'rectangle with colored dots').

For folders you might have system wide 'security' tagging of folders as 'read only', 'hidden' and even 'blocked'. Sometimes all 3. Right click on folder allows you to change the ATTRIBUTES for that folder only (even if it states 'for all sub folders'). Bogus.

You can do mass change of how all sub-folders LOOK (ie: how files are listed-icons or details) but not attributes. Click on folder that is showing files listing as 'details', right click folder, click on 'Folder Options' in Tools, then click on 'apply to all folders', click 'OK'. Now all folders when opened will list files in 'detail' style (as opposed to icons).

I suspect you are right about 'updates' messing this 'folder attributes', 'file protection', file 'permissions' (bad word here), 'blocked', etc. What business does MS have on going and changing things like that via updates? Just not right. And you can't undo the whole thing because you don't know which 'update' did it. It has to be done one folder / file at a time. So like I said-I hear your pain. Security holes my foot (hehe).
Chuck B
Napamule

hurricane3
June 10th, 2011, 03:59
You've givin me a lot of info. Will have to print it out. Yous right, Microsoft has no right to messs things up with their update, this security thing has gone nuts.

Dangerousdave26
June 10th, 2011, 04:40
hurricane3

I am seeing an inconsistency. You are not renaming the file extension. You are renaming the file. The extension is the character set after the "." Normally you would not change a file extension.

Lets break it down aircraft is the file name in aircraft.cfg. The .cfg is the file extension. Windows uses those file extensions to tell it what programs to run with and also what icon to display. This is refereed to as a file association. If you leave off the file extension or if you change the file extension windows will display this message.

"If you change a file name extension, the file might become unusable. Are you sure you want to change it?"

In Windows XP when you go to change a file name it automatically selects the whole name to be changed including the file extension. The key is to change the name and not change the extension.

Dangerousdave26
June 10th, 2011, 04:41
You've givin me a lot of info. Will have to print it out. Yous right, Microsoft has no right to messs things up with their update, this security thing has gone nuts.

I should also say this is not a security issue it is user error.

This was not caused by an update of any kind.

hurricane3
June 10th, 2011, 06:15
I don't understand why this is a user error, because ,for instance when there was and aircraft update I always put the new readme file in the aircraft folder to let me know the update had been applied. I would always rename the readme as something like readme-1 so I could put it in the aircraft folder if there was already a readme file in the folder.
Now it won't let me rename the readme ,and I didn't do anything different so how is this a user error?

EasyEd
June 10th, 2011, 06:44
Hey All,

Just to be sure it isn't virus related download and run malware bytes.

-Ed-

Dangerousdave26
June 10th, 2011, 07:04
For some reason I can no longer change file extension names , like readme files. I try to and it says if I change it ,it may no longer become usable, and will go to a file that I can't open ,the one with what looks like a rectange with a bunch of colored dots.
I looked in folder options but could find nothing that would seem to apply, anyone know what to change so I can rename folders like I used to?

From your description you are changing the name but what is happening is you are loosing the .txt at the end of the read me. When you do that the file icon changes as you described and the file although it appears to be unusable it really is OK. it just needs the .txt thrown back on the end of the name.

readme.txt is the file name do you see that full name?

If not the issue is you have a windows option turned on.

From inside any folder go to the navigation bar on the top of the folder and select tools.

In the tools menue select Folder Options

In the folder options go to the view tab

Scroll down the list and look for Hide extensions for known file types

If there is a check beside it remove the check.

now when you look at the read me files you should see the full name and the extension. readme.txt

Now when you change the name only change what comes before the .txt.

So you can make it readme-1.txt and it should work fine. If you change readme.txt to readme-1 you will get the problem you are describing. Windows because you removed the .txt off the end of the name no longer knows what to do with the file.

hurricane3
June 10th, 2011, 08:29
I looked at the folder options and there was no check beside Hide extensions for known file types, the problem is I've had this computer for ten years and for ten years I've been renameing files with no trouble, now all of a sudden I can't rename certain files, Like readme's that have txt with them and also files within the aircraft folders that might require renameing.
There is always one type of plane that is supposed to have gun sounds, in FS9 and your supposed to rename a file in the effects file from (I think) FS9_gun-sounds to FX_gun sounds,or something like that, I tried renaming it the last time I installed one of those planes,(the gun sounds never worked anyway) and it woldn't let me.
So somthing has changed and it wasn't something I did to change it.( at least I don't think so).

Dangerousdave26
June 10th, 2011, 08:35
OK Bear with me here.

I put together some screenshots to explain what I am hearing you say the issue is. Some of them you will need to follow the links.

This is my folder with two files in it. One is named Readme.txt and the other is Readme-1

Notice that the file with the .txt extension has a different icon than the file that has no extension.

http://www.sim-outhouse.net/images/filenames/fn1.jpg

Both of them can be opened as text.

Readme.txt you open by simply double clicking it.

http://www.sim-outhouse.net/images/filenames/fn2.jpg

The Readme-1 you must right click it and select notepad

http://www.sim-outhouse.net/images/filenames/fn3.jpg

As seen in this shot.

http://www.sim-outhouse.net/images/filenames/fn4.jpg

When I go to rename a file notice that Windows selects the whole file name including the extension .txt. This is how XP has always treated renaming files. Windows 7 does not follow this format. In W7 when you go to rename a file it only highlights the name of the file not the extension. (you can still change the extension by selecting it but that is another topic)

http://www.sim-outhouse.net/images/filenames/fn5.jpg

If I just start typing I will over write all of the text. I renamed this file to readme-2 and I did not put the .txt on the end.

http://www.sim-outhouse.net/images/filenames/fn6.jpg

When I press enter Windows tries to stop me from making a mistake by asking me if I really want to change the file extension. It is not talking about the name of the file just the .txt that was on the end.

http://www.sim-outhouse.net/images/filenames/fn7.jpg

This is what happens when I tell Windows Yes.

The file name has been changed but since it no longer has the extension Windows does not know what program works with it. It therefore changes the icon to an unknown file type. If you select it Windows will prompt you to select a program to open the file with.

http://www.sim-outhouse.net/images/filenames/fn8.jpg

You can very simply fix it by selecting rename and adding the .txt back to the end of the file name.

Now if you are still having an issue provide screen shots of what you are seeing when you try and change a name.

hurricane3
June 10th, 2011, 08:51
Thankyou for all the trouble you went to ,to help ,I understand what your saying and the pics help a lot, but what about files that don't have txt in the name like the one I mentioned about changing gun sounds?
And again why now am I having this problem when I've changed the names of files literally hundreds of times in the past. As I said somthing has changed.

Dangerousdave26
June 10th, 2011, 09:15
Lets change a sound name and see what happens.

Find c172_rpm1.wav

It is a default sound and should be in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator 9\Aircraft\c172\sound c172_rpm1.wav

Change the name to anything you want and let us know what happens.

Providing screen shots always help make the issue clearer so provide as many as you can.

hurricane3
June 10th, 2011, 11:17
I changed the wav file and got the same message that it might not be usable. I changed it to c 172 rpm and it went to the icon with the dots, I don't know how to send screenshots so all I can do is describe it,but it looks like the one in your pics. Now how do I change it back? I tried opening it with note pad ,but it was unreadable ,same with word. So now what?

hurricane3
June 10th, 2011, 11:24
I changed it back by renameing it the same as it was in the beginng. You making me nervious changeing files in the defalut planes.

Dangerousdave26
June 10th, 2011, 12:12
No need to worry that is why I choose a default sound. We can replace it very easily. :icon_lol:

Here is my almost final thought on the subject and it is probably the key to what is going on.

You know and I believe you that you used to change file names without a problem before.

I believe it and here is why.

At default Windows XP and Windows 7 hide the file extensions of known files. What that means is if Windows has an association with the file extension it will not show that extension in the file name. So a readme.txt file will look just like this readme. There will be no .txt on the end because windows knows that Notepad is the program that opens .txt files.

This means that you can right click any text file and change the name with out any hassles.

The issue is in this hobby at some point in time we have to be able to change the file extension. So we always hit a point where we have to change the that Windows option.

That option is the one I showed you earlier that you confirmed the check was not there. If you want to turn it back on put the check back in the box. I would caution you not to though as that is also a security risk to you and ultimately will cause confusion when you try and change a file extension and it does not change.

The better thing to do is recognize what the file extension is before you rename it and make sure you put the proper extension back into the name.

This statement here confirms to me that you are indeed omitting the file extension when you rename the file. It was only after you renamed it back to c172_rpm1.wav that it was fixed. That happened because .wav is the proper file extension

I changed it back by renameing it the same as it was in the beginng. You making me nervious changeing files in the defalut planes.

hurricane3
June 10th, 2011, 12:39
If I right click and use the file extension in the rename it will work?

Dangerousdave26
June 10th, 2011, 13:02
Yes when ever you rename a file the extension should never change.

hurricane3
June 10th, 2011, 13:17
I usually make a folder in my documents and when I get enough downloads in it I make a copy, so I tried a few downloads sending them to my documents so I didn't mess up what was in the folders ,and of course your right . The files that you have to change for the gun sounds which never work are fx files ,as long as when you change the name and put .fx on the end the name will change. Same for the readme files .txt ,as long as you put .txt at the end you can change the name ,like Readme-1.txt.
What I still don't get and it's not important, is why I have to do this now when I never did before. But like you said we pretty much exausted this subject so hopefully this will be my last post on it.
Thankyou so much for helping me out.

napamule
June 10th, 2011, 22:12
Well since you got it figured out this might be re-hash. Can't hurt.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
readmefirst.txt
readme first.txt
readme_first.txt : all=same file: names=DIFFERENT: extension= 'txt'
readme.first.txt
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What makes the file NAME different is the 'space', the '_', or the '.' . It is
STILL the same file. Only the name has changed. It is still a 'txt file (type).
- It is 'txt. ***-- File 'type' is text. -- File 'extension' is 'txt' ---***.
- it could be 'cfg'. ***-- File 'type' is text. -- File 'extension' is 'cfg'---***.
If you try to change EXTENSION to 'bck' Win's will object, as it will not
know what to do (what program to use to open it) when you dbl-click it.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But, you can right-click it, choose 'open with', choose 'Notepad' and 'ok'
and it will open, even if it's extension is 'bck'. This is possible because
you just TOLD Windows what program to use (ie: Notepad).
Dbl-Clicking to open requires you to pre-set 'file association' for that file
type. Some are already set (ie:'cfg, txt, etc' files that open with notepad).
It is when you change that file extension that Windows will object, as it
KNOWS what type FILE it is ('txt'-and not 'bck' extension type). But it will
let you make extension whatever you want ('bck'). Just ignore warning.
Then when you want to open it ('bck') you must right-click, choose 'Open
With', UN-CK 'Always Use this Prog to Open', click 'Notepad', and that
tells Windows what program to use, and it will open it.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I imagine you haven't 'figured out' YET why some files can't be modified. That is a hard one to explain, being you did not change anything on your own. So it MUST be some update file changing things 'on it's own' (to comply with M$ efforts to close all those security 'holes'). They figure your pc MIGHT be 'taken over' by some hacker, but they (carelessly) mess up your ability to manipulate files in the process. Most files (except some 'system' files) you can change attributes by right click on file and clicking on 'Properties' and then look at 'Attributes (ie: Read Only, Hidden, Blocked). Uncheck what you don't NEED and hit 'Apply', then 'OK'. After this you may be able to modify file name or extension. Good luck.
Chuck B
Napamule

hurricane3
June 11th, 2011, 06:49
If you try and open one of those things that look like a page with colored dots, and you tell it to open with notepad or word or whatever ,it looks like a notepad type file when you tell it to open with note pad but if you open it ,it's unreadable like code.and though it gives you choices as to what to use to read it, none of them are any better.
So bottom line ,how do you open a file like that so you can read it?Air files are like that a lot, not that I'am going to mess with it, but what are those type of files and how would you open it to read it? Windows gives you a choice and says you can pick one from the web but that never works, cause you don't know what your looking for.
Also why uncheck 'always use this program to open it" when youve chosen notepad, I thought note pad was THE one to always use.
I sure hope we get this straighten out soon ,cause as you can see I can't spell and my one finger is getting tired from typing.

hurricane3
June 11th, 2011, 07:11
Just checked.now all my airfiles look like notepad ,but you still can't read them. Will this hurt them ? Are they still usable?

WarHorse47
June 11th, 2011, 12:17
Hurricaine, I want you to do something. Perhaps this explains what is going on (assuming you have Windows XP).

First, I want you to open a folder and look at your files. Across the top of the window is an option for Tools. Click on the Menu option and look for Folder Options. There should be three tabs across the top. The one on the far right is labeled File Types. Click on it. You should now see a box of all your file extensions that you can scroll through.

The core information is in your computer registry. Whenever a program is installed, it adds the file extension and the program to use to open it. Typically for every program application there is a different icon for that program.

What can be confusing is the the same file can be open by multiple programs. A txt file, for example, can also be opened by MS Word or Excel but the default is set to Notepad. And sometimes when a newer program is installed, it overwrites these registry entries and forces the file to be opened by the newer program. I encounter this alot with image files because they can be opened by multiple programs each with their own icon.

So, if you which to change the default program for opening a file (assuming it can open it), this is the menu where that can be changed. If you look down below there is an option for "open with:" which permits you to select another program for opening the file.

So, if you have a txt file and want only Notepad to open that file type, you highlight the extension, select Notepad.exe as your application, and save the results. The file icon will automatically change to the Notepad icon.

BTW - I have limited experience with Windows 7.0, but from what I recall the process is similar to what I described for XP.

Hope I haven't made things more confusing for you. And no, by changing the 'open with:' application you are not altering the original file.

--WH

napamule
June 11th, 2011, 12:37
Air files are only read by a program called 'AirEd'. Due to AirEd being an older program it can't be used to open air files by doing a dbl-click on 'x.air' file. What you do is get AirEd version 1.42 from FltSim.Com (I know it's there, but might be here). Download, and extract files to a folder you make called 'AirEd v142' or such. Then you drag 'AirEd.exe' to desktop (minimize window first) and choose 'Create Shortcut Here'. Then you dbl-click that shortcut and it will open itself (might have to drag sides to get an 'open area') then go 'File' then 'Open' and browse to air file and click on 'X.air', click 'ok', and it will open it for you and show the lines for the 'X.air' file and be displayed (like lines in aircraft.cfg) in the open area. You can then edit like cfg file, say 'Save' and the changes will be made. Back up your orig air file first. (Right click on 'X.air', choose 'Copy', right click anywhere, then choose 'Paste' and you will get a 'Copy of X.air' in same folder where orig air file is. It's a copy.

The file you opened that looks like code. What file extension was it? Doc? ini? Some files can't be opened and read as they are not text type. They are programming code.

When you don't KNOW what program will open a file is when you NOT choose 'Always Open With'. That is because you only want to TRY to open that one file and don't necessarily want to change 'association' for all the other hundreds of files of the same EXTENSION and what they will open with. Telling it to 'Always Open With' will set what program (notepad?) that file extension will open with from now on (ie: will set the file (extension) association) to a certain program. If you don't KNOW, then don't change the association. Like air files. They don't open with notepad. All you get is garbage. You need AirEd (only one I know) to open air files. So don't set it by choosing 'Always Open With' notepad. Later (when you get AirEd) you can tell it to 'Always Open With' and point to AirED.exe program in that folder you made for AirEd files. I know. It's hard to figure it out. Give it time to 'soak in'. You'll get it when you do it a couple of times. Useful? That is a different story. I'll hang in there with you. Take it a bit at a time. No rush or stress, I hope. (Poor little finger-ha). You could go Google 'file association XP' and get a lot of info that way which you can read slowly. Wikipedia covers it I am sure. Cheers.
Chuck B
Napamule
PS: I am 71 yrs old, but been doing 'puters' since 1960's and used to know DOS in and out, so don't feel bad if you are just learning. It's not impossible, just new.

WarHorse47
June 11th, 2011, 13:08
Currently, all my FS9 air files default to an Adobe Installer program. I don't edit them anyway, so no harm done. But this is an example of what can happen. Time for a :icon29:.

--WH

hurricane3
June 11th, 2011, 15:28
Thankyou everyone for all your time and effort and vast knowledge, but I think I'am done with this now. I did a system restore which put back my airfiles to the way they were. I have "always open with notepad" for the config files so since (thanks to you guys) I know how to rename file extensions ,thats enough for me.
I have no intension of messing with airfiles anyway so I don't need to open them and now I know why you can't read them. So being very tired of messing with this stuff and with what knowledge I've got from you guys I'am calling it it quits.
I can't thank all of you enough for helping me out ,but since all is ok now ,thats good enough for me.

hurricane3
June 11th, 2011, 15:54
Not that it matters but I did as you said and opened a folder then went to tools and folder options and under all those extensions and also in the window there was no "open with" I only get that option if i right click on a folder, which I did for my config files cause it was set for word which made it hard to change anything in the config file ,so I changed it to "always open with notepad" which makes it much more easy to make changes.