PDA

View Full Version : High speed roll in an F-5A

brettt777
December 7th, 2008, 17:35
I have an F-5A Tiger that I love to fly. It's a beautiful aircraft and flies great except for one thing. At about 620-630 knots, I completely loose the ability to roll. Pitch still works fine but about 600 knots roll starts to fade and then disappears completely. The owner of the company I work for is a retired USAF Colonel. He has flown everything from A-10s to C-141s, including T-38s. He told me that if anything the roll rate would increase at that speed but certainly wouldn't decrease and disappear. So my question is, what setting in the air file or cfg file would keep it from doing that? It has an airwrench entry in the cfg file. Is there something in there that tells it to stop rolling at high speeds?

brettt777
December 7th, 2008, 17:36
Okay I figured out what's happening but I still don't know why. It's not that the ailerons loose their effectiveness. It's that they just stop moving. As I increase speed, the amount of movement I get from the ailerons decreases until they just stop moving altogether at 630 knots or so. The horizontal stab seems to decrease its movement also but still moves enough to be effective even at high speeds. So, that being said, what would make it do that? What setting limits control surface movement as speed increases? I have the entire airwrench entry in the cfg file "removed" but I still have this problem.

brettt777
December 7th, 2008, 17:37
I have looked at several other aircraft and while they all gradualy decrease the amount of flight control movement as speed increases, none of them decrease it to the point it doesn't move at all. So, I am wondering what setting in the air file or cfg file does that...?

N332DW
December 7th, 2008, 18:34
it's probably in the airfile - ailerons,elevator and rudder have records in the airfile that looks like a graph - these are control effectivness vs airspeed graphs. try finding an aircraft that has the desired control vs airspeed characteristics - open it's airfile (i use AirEd) and then right-click , copy to clipboard the graph record - open the airfile of the plane to be modded and right-click - paste from clipboard to replace the record with the newone - experimentation is key and always backup your original..

goodluck - FS isn't just about flying y'know