PDA

View Full Version : 'Ford FR9 = Lower Center Of Gravity'

Panther_99FS
June 5th, 2011, 10:36
To aid handling, Roush Yates was diligent to minimize weight, and when the limits were reached, the company worked to lower the center of gravity as much as possible. For example, the harmonic balancer has been moved behind the timing belt. This pulls the engine's center of mass closer toward the firewall and also helps damp crankshaft vibrations before they reach the timing system. Also, this is one of the first American-made engines not to place the water pump along the centerline of the camshaft. It, along with all the accessories, has been moved as low as possible because even the smallest advantages at this level can be the difference between winning and finishing in the middle of the pack.
--> http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/engine/hrdp_0911_nascar_race_engines/ford_fr9.html

Lower CoG gives your better & faster options to set-up the car.

And thus with FR9 running cooler along with the lower CoG gravity, the NASCAR dyno tests, I'd say we've disproved the myth around here that the FR9 is a more powerful engine...:mixedsmi:

Panther_99FS
June 5th, 2011, 10:48
I must say...
A VERY innovative approach by Ford :applause: instead of just trying to increase horsepower, they instead:

- Lightened the engine
- Lowered the CoG
- Made the engine run cooler.

The combination of the 3 things above definitely makes the car faster (faster setup)...

Terry
June 5th, 2011, 10:52
Agreed, they have squeezed all the horses that current tech allows. Next year with injection the hunt for horses will start again.

EasyEd
June 5th, 2011, 11:19
Hey All,

You are not telling me anything I don't already know.

How the engine is designed matters. Weight distribution, cooling, hp the whole package. It affects the aero, downforce the whole package. Suffice to say what I been seeing are Fords faster than anything else on the track with Toyota's second, Chevy's third and the Dodge sample size is so small it's hard to figure where to put them. This why Jimmie is such an underdog this year. Being able to put power to the ground earlier out of the turns is a horsepower advantage where ever it comes from. As for the dyno I still want to see what engines were tested and what the results were. Specifically I want to see where Hendrick engines rate compared to Yates and see if Ford has a bigger advantage there. I've long been concerned that the death of Randy Dorton in the plane crash at Martinsville was a serious blow to Hendrick engine building. He was their main man.

The more interesting question is why on earth did it take Ford 2 years (09 and 10) to figure out how to use the horsepower?

As an example of engine history in NASCAR

Before Dodge's current engine the rules were different (no maximum cylinder bore just a CI limit) so Dodge brought an engine in which they could manipulate the cylinder bore and run long stroke narrow pistons on big tracks (for hp) and short fat pistons on short tracks (for torque). The Chevy and Ford engines were not designed for this and Dodge had a big advantage and it was showing. Needless to say NASCAR threw a hissy fit about how Dodge outsmarted them again (hemi and wing earlier) and put in a maximum cylinder bore which put a bunch of weight exactly where Dodge didn't want it cause they had "extra" metal up high to accomodate varying piston sizes. This thus penalized Dodge for creative engineering until they could develop yet another engine.

Good to see you learning - that Hot Rod article is good.

-Ed-

Panther_99FS
June 5th, 2011, 11:22
EasyEd,
You're learning too - since you were always whining/too focused about power...and not seeing innovation...You just have too much ego to admit it... ;) ;)

EasyEd
June 5th, 2011, 12:39
Hey All,

Good Grief Charlie Brown!

When I say power I always mean power and/or the ability to put that power to the ground. I did not know the specifics of the Ford engine but I never doubted they were following the basic principles of weight distribution. If you can roll the center of the corner better you can often put power to the ground sooner (long as you are not loose off). That is what Toyota was doing all last year and I was saying how powerful Toyota was/is - Hamlin was always off the corner faster than anyone else and I called it horsepower or power which it is - horsepower to the ground.

As for innovation I just showed you one that NASCAR got bent out of shape over. I see no justification for saying I don't recognize innovation.

I still - getting even more specific - want to see the dyno results of the 48 engine compared to the 99 engine. I think it would be telling.

-Ed-

As a PS - I'm really happy with one of my other favorite drivers job today. Way to Go BK!

Panther_99FS
June 5th, 2011, 15:41
EasyEd,
Don't try and change your story now..;) you know you were talking raw hp...it will be alright for you...trust me...

http://www.mwmma.com.au/2010/images/stories/mainpic-ego-clk.gif

EasyEd
June 5th, 2011, 18:44
Hey All,

The great thing about America is you can have any opinion you want.

As far as I'm concerned this topic is done but I'll comment as and when I see more power coming out of the FR9 engine - meaning the Fords continuing to improve (assuming they do) because of the engine - exactly as I have been saying.

Some people (nobody here though) have pointed out that the 99 was a powerhouse in 2008 when it won 9 races - it just took 2 years for them to get back to running the way they had then. I'm not arguing with that opinion I just like to see Roush down in power - ever since Martin deliberately blew that engine to give Kenseth and Roush the first cup they won. A year later Curt Busch won it for Roush legitimately.

Those who follow NASCAR remember these things just like RCR is gonna remember Kyle.

-Ed-

PS As an add I don't mind seeing Biffle win and I don't mind seeing Ragan win - don't care for Carl or Kenseth. It's just like I don't mind seeing Joey Logano win - it's just better if Denny and Kyle don't. I do cheer for the Red Bull guys. We all have our favorites.

PSS An just so you know Jimmie Johnson was 2nd in the points in both 2003 and 2004.

eddie
June 6th, 2011, 14:53
EasyEd,
Don't try and change your story now..;) you know you were talking raw hp...it will be alright for you...trust me...

http://www.mwmma.com.au/2010/images/stories/mainpic-ego-clk.gif

Should practice what you preach,lol

EasyEd
June 6th, 2011, 18:03
Hey All,

LOL

No prob if P actually bothered me I'd just dedicate a song to him. I even know which one.

-Ed-

Panther_99FS
June 6th, 2011, 19:38
Should practice what you preach,lol

I do....I don't see anyone else willing to learn by digging up all this information that I did :mixedsmi: