PDA

View Full Version : P-38 Query

OleBoy
June 3rd, 2011, 05:05
Does anyone know if David C. Copley's models work in FSX? Is there anything that does, does not work as they do in FS9. I sure liked his models (a lot) in FS9

Disregard my asking as they do not work. They do, although not as well as I was expecting them too

expat
June 3rd, 2011, 06:14
I have them working and flying great in FSX. Love DCC's Lightnings. Great to do a run out to Bougainville in one - as a change from my usual USN/USMC mount- in the Salomon Islands using Mark's great scenery.

There is one catch - to get the panel and gauges to work in FSX - I think only one of the several different group of models released worked for me. Otherwise the gauges were all out of position or missing (can't recal whether in VC or 2d).

Bottom line: experiment. I have six times as many more FS9 ports in FSX than native ones and don't understand why people hesitate to even make the attempt. If you need to swap out a few gauges or prop blur textures it takes only a minute but is very satifying once sorted.

Let me know how you get on and if you have trouble I will figure out exactly what I did to make it work and guide you through it.

DCC's P-38 in FSX:

OleBoy
June 3rd, 2011, 06:34
While I do appreciate your response,I learned long ago that my relation with flight sim comes in the form of my repaints alone. I've tried doing port overs a few times. I just don't have patience or can't figure it out. I always hope that others will do the task on aircraft I like. If it doesn't happen, I let the topic fade.

Davids models are/were great in FS9 and I really enjoyed them a lot. Unfortunately they just don't compare with the new toys since I moved on. I miss FS9. It was, and still is a great flight sim. But I won't be going back.

Thanks for your reply

Dangerousdave26
June 3rd, 2011, 07:51
Roger Mole did an approved FSX modification package for dcc's P-38

You can find it at Simviation search for P-38_FSX.zip

FSX Updates for David Copley's P-38 Lightnings (Category: FSX > Vintage)
Zip file preview (http://simviation.com/1/preview?fileId=19743)
3.41Mb (3577 downloads)
FSX Updates for David Copley's P-38 Lightnings (example here or search David Copley). David has released several versions of his beautiful Lightning for FS2004. All of them except for the Feb 2005 P-38L model (which has been updated anyway and the update is OK) convert perfectly for FSX and all models fly superbly well in FSX, just as they do in FS9. However, with all of them there is a problem with gauges and it was also found that changes have to be made to the normalized_starter_torque figures originally used by David in order to get the engines to spin fast enough to actually start in FSX. This update deals with these issues and also provides thumbnails for the texture folders, making the aircraft fully compatible with FSX. Roger Mole. 3.5MB
Required File (http://simviation.com/fs2004vintage26.htm)

Posted Jun 23, 2008 14:16 by archive

For myself I found that even with the package some extra tweeking was necessary to the panel. One of the gauges was missing from the VC/2D panel.

The other problem I had with it was when I tried to exit a flight or switch planes the sim would CTD. That was on my old PC when FSX was loaded on it. I have not tried the model in FSX on my new one. It very may work right in your system although my guess would be you will still have the missing gauge issue.

Now having said that you would probably be better off getting the FSD or Sky Unlimited P-38s. I have both and they are very good as well as reasonably priced. I can not vouch for the Just Flight or Aeroplane Heaven P-38's models quality but it is probably safe to believe they are fine models.

OleBoy
June 3rd, 2011, 15:01
Thanks for the tips there, Dave. I've got plans to get one, or both of the paywares, but the last month hasn't been good at all. I lost two weeks of work. So I was trying to fight the urge for a while. I'll look into the files and give it a try. :salute: