PDA

View Full Version : DO-28 Cancelled... And possible retirement...

Piglet
June 1st, 2011, 20:51
Having to rebuild a DOA pooter, and almost losing all my aircraft refs, files etc. And most of the DO-28 (Yes, I do backup, still got bit!) I'm gonna be out of the plane making game for awhile. Slowly reinstalling all my stuff, fetching long forgotten passwords, sparring with software folks, all that other fracking stuff. Then after all that, I maybe just take my time returning to plane making. It's time for a vacation, me thinks.
It's been fun, challanging, good friends, even better enemies, and lots of dog treats!
Oink well, my friends.

Rich
June 1st, 2011, 21:08
Tim, take a break have a holiday and keep popping in you are to good to write off.

Rich

falcon409
June 1st, 2011, 21:14
Man, I hate to hear that Tim (mainly the loss of the puter). I've been there several times and it's no fun for sure. As you said, even with back-ups you got bit, so it isn't always a fail-safe system. I hope, in time, you get it all back, or at least most of it.

As for modeling, I can think of maybe a handful of people who could probably use some time off and few more deserving than you. In freeware circles, you have been a veritable machine, cranking out very high quality aircraft at an amazing rate at times. I, for one, am grateful for your talents and the beautiful birds I get to fly. We'd love to see you continue, of that I have no doubt, but if a long overdue vacation is in your future then I hope you enjoy the time away and move into something else that brings you satisfaction. Whatever that may be.

Thanks Tim!!:salute:

heywooood
June 1st, 2011, 21:28
oh nuts

just when today was going so good - son of a biscuit

count me among your biggest fans bud, sincerely.

oink oink

Pips
June 1st, 2011, 22:09
Computer's going belly-up is just the pits. :banghead: Always seems that it doesn't matter what you've backed-up, there's always lots that your missing. Enough to drive a normal person crazy.

God only knows how much more frustrating for someone so heavily into the programme's you use Tim. Give it a good kick and walk away for a month or so. :icon_lol:

strykerpsg
June 1st, 2011, 22:22
Tim, so sorry to hear about your loss and glad to know you've done some back up. I just want to throw out there many computer stores, Bestbuy included, can back up files on dead drives. Not sure if that might help recover some of your older files, but the tech they have now is pretty incredible. Best of luck and you are certainly very deserved of a break. Thank you for all you have done for this hobby/passion.

Matt

OleBoy
June 1st, 2011, 22:31
Sorry to hear of this, Tim. Hopefully you get it all straightened and sorted out. Sometimes technology just bites ya when ya least expect it!! Whatever you do, I thank you for sharing what you have. For what I've downloaded, I've enjoyed, and sincerely appreciate you sharing your skills that better my enjoyment in virtual flight. I've said it several times in other posts, and displayed it. Your Scrofa I am always flying. It's just plain fun!!

If you do decide to retire, enjoy. I honestly hope your decision isn't a permanent one.

:wavey:

DennyA
June 1st, 2011, 22:32
Having to rebuild a DOA pooter, and almost losing all my aircraft refs, files etc. And most of the DO-28 (Yes, I do backup, still got bit!) I'm gonna be out of the plane making game for awhile. Slowly reinstalling all my stuff, fetching long forgotten passwords, sparring with software folks, all that other fracking stuff. Then after all that, I maybe just take my time returning to plane making. It's time for a vacation, me thinks.
It's been fun, challanging, good friends, even better enemies, and lots of dog treats!
Oink well, my friends.

Tim, sorry to hear about your computer hassles.

You definitely should take a break if the frustration is greater than the fun!

That said, I sure hope to see that the siren call of creating cool planes draws you back after a break! I actually visited S-O today specifically to see if you'd posted any updates on what you were working on. You single-handedly have provided me more flight sim enjoyment than anyone outside of the people who actually wrote the sims. :)

But looking at your body of work, nobody can say you don't deserve to kick back with a beer and just enjoy flying for a while.

Take care, and please stick around for the conversations, even if you're not bending polygons for now!

Roger
June 1st, 2011, 22:52
Sorry to hear this Tim. I hope a rest will do the job...I'd hate to think that there would never be another "Piglet Peculiar" on the horizon!:ernae:

harrybasset
June 1st, 2011, 23:09
Have a good refreshing break but come back, we don't have that many dog avatars on here.

grunau_baby
June 1st, 2011, 23:22
Spoil the dogs a little and take a break!

Hope you get it all sorted out, these moments really suck when being a creative PC-user, but donīt let it bring you down! Take your time!

Keep your head up, best wishes
Alex

Astoroth
June 1st, 2011, 23:31
Sorry to hear about your 'puter Tim! If anyone deserves a break it would be you, after all the gems you've given us. Hope your "retirement" will be a relatively short one, you have too many good ideas for us to give up on you!

AndyG43
June 1st, 2011, 23:46
Sorry to hear this Tim, it's a bugger when the computer dies on you.

Of course we're hoping it is more a sabbatical than a retirement, but enjoy your break whichever it is.

warchild
June 2nd, 2011, 01:05
Ive lost two computers costing me a total of almost ten years worth of work, so i kinda maybe sorta understand what you must be feeling.. Please, I hope this is a hiatus, and that you will return. You'll definitely be missed, by more than just I. Stay in touch, ok??
Pam

rvn817j
June 2nd, 2011, 01:38
"Fair winds and following seas." Already looking forward to your return. All the best....

flaviossa
June 2nd, 2011, 05:47
Thanks for all your work mr. Piglet! Have a nice vacation!! :salute: :applause: :salute: :applause:

JoeW
June 2nd, 2011, 06:18
Tim ........... That happened to me back in December. Then on the install of windows 7 I found I had a Melissa Virus. I had to reinstall it all again.
I kano the feeling.
It'll get better.

Lateral-G
June 2nd, 2011, 06:22
I feel your pain Tim. Had my PC get zapped by a virus/worm/malware about a year and a half ago and it was a real PITA. Total reformat required. Data was saved but having to reload all the programs and then reconfigure FSX....ugh....:isadizzy:

Thanks for all the great planes and have fun at whatever you decide to do.

paulb
June 2nd, 2011, 06:45
Hi Tim

I am really sorry to hear about your pc problems. What a pain!

Anyway, just to let you know that your great work is really appreciated by all flight simmers. You have produced some really fantastic models! Well done! :applause:

In the meantime, If you want any help on research (maybe as a rest from modelling?)then just send me a pm. I have many, many scale plans that I would be delighted to share with you.

Cheers

Paul

Railrunner130
June 2nd, 2011, 06:54
Sorry to hear of the loss.

If anyone deserves to retire from modelling, it's you. You've put out some of the best models period. I think I've been downloading your works for about ten years. (I recall the XP-75 offhand as at least being one of the first of yours.)

That being said, please don't retire. Take a break. Live a little. But please don't retire.

Thanks for all you've done!

delta_lima
June 2nd, 2011, 07:20
Hi Tim - just got the news.

Thanks so much for all the great work. I love that you did a lot of unique models - your FS9 X-24A is hands down my favourite project of yours - though your A-1 would likely be among the finest in quality. So all in all, thanks so much for giving of yourself to our hobby.

Hopefully we'll see you again!

dl

Sid2008
June 2nd, 2011, 08:31
Piglet thank you for all your contribution to our hobby. Enjoy life.
Sid

deathfromafar
June 2nd, 2011, 09:21
Wow! This was a shock to read today!

Tim, like everyone else, I say thanks for all you have done for our hobby. I fly your planes on a regular basis and consider them some of my favorite models. I understand that going through PC troubles can be disheartening. Been there a few times and I backup my backups and I'm still nervous in trusting digital storage systems.

Personally and respectfully, I hope you reconsider retirement and just take a break after getting everything sorted out. You're an asset to the hobby and I like many would view your departure as a hard loss.

DFA

italoc
June 2nd, 2011, 10:36
No no Tim
You are not allowed to give up !!
Who gave you permission ??
Listen, just take your time, relax, play tennis or whatever other hobby you have,
Repair your puter, and get to it again
We wait for you to come back to us with many other "peculiar" planes
Promise ??
Italo

Ascua02
June 2nd, 2011, 10:51
No no Tim
Listen, just take your time, relax, play tennis or whatever other hobby you have,
Promise ??
Italo

Amen this.
Piglet, my man, been there. Spoil the dogs, fly a lot, have a couple boxes of cool ones and get back refreshed.

Hoink, grgunt, rrfffoiiinkk oinnnnk... (translation: we'll be there waiting for you)

:salute:

b52bob
June 2nd, 2011, 15:51
No no Tim
Promise ??
Italo

+2 - You're the man and if you need more dog treats, just ask!
Bob

Milton Shupe
June 2nd, 2011, 16:03
Man, I hate to hear that Tim (mainly the loss of the puter). I've been there several times and it's no fun for sure. As you said, even with back-ups you got bit, so it isn't always a fail-safe system. I hope, in time, you get it all back, or at least most of it.

As for modeling, I can think of maybe a handful of people who could probably use some time off and few more deserving than you. In freeware circles, you have been a veritable machine, cranking out very high quality aircraft at an amazing rate at times. I, for one, am grateful for your talents and the beautiful birds I get to fly. We'd love to see you continue, of that I have no doubt, but if a long overdue vacation is in your future then I hope you enjoy the time away and move into something else that brings you satisfaction. Whatever that may be.

Thanks Tim!!:salute:

Well said ... and ditto from me.

CWOJackson
June 2nd, 2011, 16:14
Tim,

While I also look forward to your return to the field, there often comes a time when the hobby starts controlling the hobbyist. When that happens it's no longer enjoyable, it becomes a task.

Best to just walk away and not look back. One day you'll look over the unfinished work and find a refreshed urge to complete it...and you'll be better then ever.

Good luck and ENJOY yourself.

Scratch
June 2nd, 2011, 16:46
Thanks for sharing your talent with us. I have enjoyed many of your creations and hope to enjoy some new ones in the future, but in the mean time, chill for awhile and may the 'Oink' be with you Master Piglet.:ernae:

Dexdoggy
June 2nd, 2011, 16:51
My Piglet hanger in FSX currently has:
Z-50, PC-6, OV-10, OV-1, Meyer 200D, MAI-890, M-18, J-29, J-20 (It's a really big hanger!)
Just a few of the many I know, and our thanks to you for every single one! :applause::applause::applause:

Naki
June 2nd, 2011, 17:22
Well said ... and ditto from me.

...cant really add to what others have said so ditto from me too...although I am hoping one day you will make that FSX native SA Bulldog

Naki
June 2nd, 2011, 17:23
whoops double post.

Bjoern
June 3rd, 2011, 04:23
Have fun in the outside world, senor Conrad!

joanvalley
June 3rd, 2011, 08:21
Please, I hope this is a hiatus, and that you will return.Pam

I hope that applies to you too dear Pam!

Tim, the itch will always be there, I hope it turns unbearable and come back soon LOL. If you need a new system, I know many of us here are willing to cash in to help. The best for you mate and thank you!

Jose.

flaviossa
June 3rd, 2011, 08:27
Yes! Letīs buy Mr. Piglet a new super machine! He deserves it! Iīm on the list for sure! :salute:

Warrant
June 3rd, 2011, 11:27
Hope this will be just a temporary (but still well deserved) vacation from FS plane developement. Also hope you will get your rig up and running to your desire and first of all enjoy FS! New planes for our joy will appear whenever you desire, and therefore you must enjoy your own environment first!
Thanks for all you have shared with us so far! :ernae::salute:

Naismith
June 3rd, 2011, 11:32
Pity! Though it seems as the sim ages, more and more people are dropping out in one way or another. Not just designers of a/c, but all interest groups from scenery to simple link databases. Inevitable I suppose. In my favorites, I have been clearing out this very day websites that no longer lead anywhere. There were quite a lot.

doublecool
June 3rd, 2011, 13:38
Piglet,

Very sorry to hear about your computer, but it is a sad day for all of us simmers...

I want to Thank you again for the oh so many aircraft and hours of fun you have given me in this hobby :salute: your willingness for giving is priceless.

You, Sir Piglet are going to be miss by all here a the outhouse,

enjoy :applause::applause::applause: but please don't be a stranger round here

"Yes! Letīs buy Mr. Piglet a new super machine! He deserves it! Iīm on the list for sure! :salute:"

not a bad idea

peter12213
June 3rd, 2011, 14:22
A huge loss for the FS world, however all I have to say is a huge thankyou for the years of hard work delivering some of the finest and most unusual models made for our hobby, I really hope everything works out for you and we see another piglet production in the not too far distant future!

Sundog
June 3rd, 2011, 14:43
Well then, All I have to say to you is...

THANKS! (Yes, I'm yelling it)

It's a good time for a vacation (Airshow season!). I hope during that vacation SoH starts a fund to buy/build you a super PC, regardless of whether or not you build planes again. I'll be more than happy to contribute and everyone here knows you've earned it.

Take care, kick back, and enjoy the doggie treats!

crashaz
June 3rd, 2011, 17:21
Well take your time away from design.... but come in and visit to talk FS shop. I realize that may not be practical as some jokers may continually harp on you to build something.

I think Milton has done the best at really making that transition.

While your work is great.... I value more your generosity and camaraderie here.

Enjoy time off my friend! :applause:

burcham8
June 4th, 2011, 09:26
A massive loss for all of us, Tim! Do what you need to do, of course, to remain sane (it's hard enough in the world we live in). But, we hope you're back when it's the right time.

Until then, I'll fly all of your FS2004 planes...:salute:

Marc Burcham

bkeske
June 4th, 2011, 17:00
Tim, I can only add my disappointment with your announcement, but a well deserved break is understandable considering the circumstances.

Without a doubt your freeware additions to the FS community have been second to none, and you continually amazed me with the number of aircraft you produced and the quality included.

Regardless of what you do in the future, many of your aircraft will continue to rack up the hours out of my numerous hangers, especially the Waco UPF-7.

'Thank you' does not seem enough given what you have given freely to the community over the years.

Bravo. :salute:

pilottj
June 8th, 2011, 09:05
Take care Master Tim, thank you for giving us many fun flying hours! :salute::icon29: Boy it would be hard to pick a favorite...Back in the FS9 days, the OV-1 got me a lot of places, in FSX, I am with Bkeske, the Waco UPF-7 was just awesome :) And the Y-Wing of course.

May the Force be with you.