PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know what causes this?

expat
June 1st, 2011, 13:51
Only occurs in one specific spot in the world - near Palm Springs CA. Might be some kind of mesh issue?

stiz
June 1st, 2011, 14:03
if it only happens in one area, then yea i'd say mesh issue or some such thing. I heard UTX does some strange things sometimes?

Aircanuck
June 1st, 2011, 14:23
Occurs on my system when I encounter heavy cloud formations ... just a ton of graphic spiking.

Curious if there is a remedy without spending to much cash !! :)

Cheers

Aircanuck

Meshman
June 1st, 2011, 14:27
Only occurs in one specific spot in the world - near Palm Springs CA. Might be some kind of mesh issue?

Those seem to indicate bad source data / compiling problems. I know it's not my mesh, as Kalifornia is still sitting on my HD... :mixedsmi:

I heard UTX does some strange things sometimes?

I heard the world is going to end next year, should I be worried?

Only one Ultimate Terrain product comes with mesh and that's Alaska, which is a long ways from Palm Springs. To spread around possibly inaccurate information based upon what you've "heard" isn't cool. What you know, great, pass the info along. But for unsubstantiated information, please, put it in the Recycle Bin where it belongs.

For the record, I've worked with the developer of Ultimate Terrain on all the products for FSX and other than a bad water elevation setting for the Salton Sea, which is in the vicinity of Palm Springs, I have never seen this type of problem from adding UTX or UTA to a FSX installation.

stiz
June 1st, 2011, 14:32
I heard the world is going to end next year, should I be worried?

Only one Ultimate Terrain product comes with mesh and that's Alaska, which is a long ways from Palm Springs. To spread around possibly inaccurate information based upon what you've "heard" isn't cool. What you know, great, pass the info along. But for unsubstantiated information, please, put it in the Recycle Bin where it belongs.

For the record, I've worked with the developer of Ultimate Terrain on all the products for FSX and other than a bad water elevation setting for the Salton Sea, which is in the vicinity of Palm Springs, I have never seen this type of problem from adding UTX or UTA to a FSX installation.

Hence the question mark at the end of the sentance, i wasnt sure or not :)

Astoroth
June 1st, 2011, 23:41
I get that from trees when my graphics card is overloaded, but never had the mesh do that..

expat
June 1st, 2011, 23:58
It has been there for a long time but was not there for a year or so after my install of FSX -just appeared one day and stays there. Have not seen it "spread" any further either. So, possibly from some add on scenery but I don' think I have much in that part of the world. Some AI and fixed carrier stuff off of LA and San Diego. Guess it may be a trial and error un-checking some scenery. I don't have any payware scenery, e.g. UTX etc.

Re mesh, I think I have some freeware stuff you can get at simaviation.com covering the West Coast and some of the Rockies but it is odd that it pops up in this fairly localised spot but works fine everywhere else. I have had something similar when the card/CPU has overheated but I am seeing this with a stable 30fps and no other signs of performance related graphics artifacts or issues.

Sieggie
June 2nd, 2011, 05:23
I have seen similar in the Melbourne, FL area with some of the freeware 10m mesh, which is why I switched to FSG mesh, with which I have never seen spiking. I also have UTX Alaska and never seen any spiking. Do you have any freeware mesh installed? You might find the offender by disabling things one at a time till the problem disappears, then you will know which bgl is causing it.

Dave

expat
June 2nd, 2011, 06:50
You might find the offender by disabling things one at a time till the problem disappears

Will give this a go - thanks. Think my mesh around Melbourne FL is OK in the sim.

Also know the area IRL fairly well as I work on my PPL when in the States nearby down in Vero Beach and Ft Pierce.

warchild
June 2nd, 2011, 07:19
I know this is off topic, and realize that it must be a total pain, but i cant help but remember that back in the seventies, I would have given my right arm to be able to make a painting like that picture you posted..
I dont get spikes like that, but i do get these long dark lines that cut across the scenery in various places.. I know my problem is related to scenery object textures, but have never seen what youve posted..

lazarus
June 2nd, 2011, 10:39
'....back in the seventies, I would have given my right arm to be able to make a painting like that picture you posted.. '

Saw stuff like that all the time back in the seventies!

gigabyte
June 2nd, 2011, 18:56
I experienced the same type of issue in some remote areas of Canada, in my case it turned out to be a freeware mesh, I was also having some GPU heating problems at the time and that made it harder to track down. The difference for me was I could save a flight in that spot, shut the system down and allow it to cool, then when I started and loaded that flight it would be OK for 5 min or so then the spikes would grow up from the ground as the GPU temp got over heated, but the heating issue would appear in many various locations, with the mesh it was only this one spot (I only found one anyway) and once I left that area the problem stayed behind. In my case the Mesh problem was solved by changing the order in the scenery library, I lowered that problem child mesh to the bottom of the list and everything has been fine since.

I wish I knew which files were involved, but the memory is not that good...lol I believe it was the Canada 19m mesh packages, and like I said it was not the mesh itself it was conflict between the Mesh and another file in my library. What you might want to try is when or if you ID a mesh file that appears to cause the problem, move it down in the list and reactivate it and see if the problem returns, that did solve my problem and I was able to keep the mesh installed.

expat
June 3rd, 2011, 05:19
. In my case the Mesh problem was solved by changing the order in the scenery library, I lowered that problem child mesh to the bottom of the list and everything has been fine since.

Thanks - will give this a try.

Regards

expat