CG_1976
December 7th, 2008, 13:20
Well such that type of AC inhabits the Caribbean its on my hit list.:friday:

deathfromafar
December 7th, 2008, 13:21
Yawn...:sleep:

Nick C
December 7th, 2008, 13:21
And there was me thinking Dan had been contracted to make that by another company. Funny old world.

gajit
December 7th, 2008, 13:47
Wow - thats great news provided it is to the high standard of the Turbo Mentor :friday:

MudMarine
December 7th, 2008, 13:59
Yawn...:sleep:

Make that a double!

falcon409
December 7th, 2008, 14:36
Make that a double!
Yep, there's one I've always wanted. . .NOT, lol. Man, where do they find these airplanes?

Roger
December 7th, 2008, 14:50
"The ubiquitous Islander is the best-selling commercial aircraft produced in Western Europe. Adaptable, versatile and durable, it has an unsurpassed record of solving transportation problems simply and economically in some of the world's harshest environments."

MudMarine
December 7th, 2008, 15:41
Make that a triple :sleep: yawn!

Roger
December 7th, 2008, 15:45
Well it's clear which direction they're going:costumes:

VCN-1
December 7th, 2008, 15:48
This site is a hoot. Alphasim has not even released the product and it is taking jabs.

VCN-1

Panther_99FS
December 7th, 2008, 15:50
AlphaSim is poised to make good sales with this one....

There was a freeware Islander for FS2002 that did quite well....Given it's immense popularity in Europe & in the Islands, AlphaSim stands ready to make a good profit....

Roger
December 7th, 2008, 15:52
This site is a hoot. Alphasim has not even released the product and it is taking jabs.

VCN-1
Well we're used to Alphasim giving us mainly military aircraft for the past 10 years and suddenly it's going mainstream.

Panther_99FS
December 7th, 2008, 15:53
Well we're used to Alphasim giving us mainly military aircraft for the past 10 years and suddenly it's going mainstream.

They announced after the EZ's release that they going to build more civie aircraft...:mixedsmi:

deimos256
December 7th, 2008, 15:57
Is this one going to continue the trend of VCs taking a month to load up?

VCN-1
December 7th, 2008, 16:04

I guess the fact it is not a military bird makes it open for jabs even before it is released. :isadizzy:

Who knows it may be a dog that can't hunt but then it could be something unique and has all of the bells and whistles. According to its site it looks like Alphasim has created a a KLN-90B for it. IIRC it is an early basic GPS.

VCN-1

CG_1976
December 7th, 2008, 16:10
Actually some AF's in the Caribbean use this ac for SAR roles and relief. So in a way the Islander has a Military role, its just in the backlines on the homefront.

jmig
December 7th, 2008, 16:13

VCN-1

I have to agree. If you don't like Alphasim and this airplane fine, but do we really need all these yawns. At least wait until it comes out and give them and it a chance.

SkippyBing
December 7th, 2008, 16:21
The ubiquitous Islander is the best-selling commercial aircraft produced in Western Europe

Seriously is that right?

The RAF have a few Islanders, and I think the Army do as well. Unless they gave them to the RAF. I think they were used in Northern Ireland for surveillance work fora bit.

CG_1976
December 7th, 2008, 16:22
I have to agree. If you don't like Alphasim and this airplane fine, but do we really need all these yawns. At least wait until it comes out and give them and it a chance.
:applause::applause::applause: Agreed 110%. Im going to due some International Military research and see if i can come up with a couple caribbean AF schemes when release date comes.

fsafranek
December 7th, 2008, 16:34

The aircraft is also used by the Army and Police Forces in the United Kingdom and is a
popular light transport with over 30 military aviation operators around the world.

-- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Britten-Norman_Islander

Something for everyone.
:ernae:

ColoKent
December 7th, 2008, 17:02
....from mostly obscure British military aircraft to mostly obscure British civilian aircraft-- let's hope NOT.

Actually, the BN will be a good "pseudo" military release as well...given the number of repaints that can be done.

If AS is o hot on doing civvies...I wish they'd do a Fokker F-27 (and an F-27 Maritime to boot).

Kent

DennyA
December 7th, 2008, 17:08
Make that a triple :sleep: yawn!
That would be the Trislander (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Britten-Norman_Trislander), then, right? :)

MudMarine
December 7th, 2008, 17:20

VCN-1

Those are jabs? More like love taps!:costumes:

MudMarine
December 7th, 2008, 17:22
That would be the Trislander (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Britten-Norman_Trislander), then, right? :)

No, that's a yawn. And here's a quadruple :sleep: yawn!:costumes:

jojohnson9
December 7th, 2008, 17:27
Yawn, Yawn, Yawn, Yawn, yawn

CG_1976
December 7th, 2008, 17:27
The HMCA uses the islander.
http://www.airliners.net/photo/UK---Coast/Britten-Norman-BN-2...-Islander/0194138/M/
(http://www.sim-outhouse.com/photo/UK---Coast/Britten-Norman-BN-2...-Islander/0194138/M/)

Panther_99FS
December 7th, 2008, 17:43
Personally,
I think this will be a hit...Especially amongst the "Twotter" fans....Lots of good possibilities...:mixedsmi:

Panther_99FS
December 7th, 2008, 18:24

I hope not but....
Judging from some feed back in the "unofficial forums", I suspect that things will remain the same...:cost1::kilroy:

euroastar350
December 7th, 2008, 18:32
Bring out a Turbine Islander with proper Allison turbine/propellor sounds and that'll make me happy. A Trislander will do nicely as well.

deathfromafar
December 7th, 2008, 22:30

No bashing intended jmig. I know they'll do a good job on this model and there is probably a market for it. Those of us who have been used to what Alphasim has done for so long see the civi trend as rather boring despite the excellent quality found in these new models. Yawn simply meaning low interest by some of us. Hey, I hope it does well. More power to them!

wombat666
December 7th, 2008, 22:35
Seriously is that right?

The RAF have a few Islanders, and I think the Army do as well. Unless they gave them to the RAF. I think they were used in Northern Ireland for surveillance work fora bit.

Very much so.
Islanders and Trilanders are about a basic an aircarft as can be built.
They even remain flying in the most unlikely locations.
Ugly as a hat full of arseholes but almost bulletproof whan it comes to servicability.
:kilroy:

wombat666
December 7th, 2008, 22:40
Yawn, Yawn, Yawn, Yawn, yawn

I could say the same for the seemingly endless variations on the Bf109-Mustang-Fw190-Bf109-Hellcat-Avenger-B17 releases etc etc but that would be impolite.

CBris
December 7th, 2008, 23:11
I used to love jumping out of the BNI - it was a good drop plane. This family of planes is still being built after 43 years. That is really obscure...

An-225
December 7th, 2008, 23:22
A few months a go, when they said they were making something with a Lycoming engine. I took a guess at the Islander.

Great to see it being done. And a rather smart way to make money too. When they say they are going civilian, I doubt they will try and compete with PMDG and the like. Its like, they are filling the holes in the civilian market - before Alphasim, were there any Gee Bees or Long EZs? This is the type of civilian airplane that will capture people attention, and it will sell very well.

JT8D-9A
December 8th, 2008, 02:52
I like the idea :wavey: I need a workhorse like that and if it will offer features like the Mentor, i'm more than happy.
My only disappointment is that i had hoped that the C-17 would be the next release :crybaby:

BTW, any news about the update for the Mentor?

ColoKent
December 8th, 2008, 02:53
...the Islander is a welcome surprise-- compared to a light plane. I think that there probably is a market for certain civilian commercial types that have not been done recently (F-27, FH-227, perhaps a remake of an updated FSX DC-9 series, and the 727-200 series, etc.)-- provided they aren't currently represented in recent payware.

But I think there is a lot of military hardware still out there that could be done for FSX (an updated B-57!!!!), and with the advances that AS has shown over the past few years, well-received (and purchased) by the community.

Kent

kilo delta
December 8th, 2008, 03:15
I'll be looking forward to this release. I've flown several times in one IRL and was hoping that someone would build an fsx version some day. Yep...they are used by many armed forces around the world too. :ernae:

jmig
December 8th, 2008, 03:34
No bashing intended jmig. I know they'll do a good job on this model and there is probably a market for it. Those of us who have been used to what Alphasim has done for so long see the civi trend as rather boring despite the excellent quality found in these new models. Yawn simply meaning low interest by some of us. Hey, I hope it does well. More power to them!

My concern with the yawns is the lack of class it shows. I consider us to be a group of individuals who are highly knowledgeable in aviation and flight simming. Many developers read these forums.

It would be my hope that we have some influence with developers. Complaining about a product that is not up to current standards or lacks functionality is constructive criticism. It my not be appreciated by the developer but it is recorded for future products. Provided, the criticism is founded on facts and not just childish ranting.

The multiple yawns struck me as childish behavior, totally without substance and beneath the character of this forum, which I am a member. This is the kind of behavior I see at other forums, populated by teenagers who think a $50 program should fly like the Navy's multi-million dollar F-18 simulators.

We are better than that. My original post was to make that statement. This post is to explain my reasoning. I am not trying to demean any member and, I appreciate you explaining your reasoning. We just disagree.

falcon409
December 8th, 2008, 04:21
Personally, the last release from AlphaSim that I was interested in and purchased was the Long-EZ. Since that time, for me, it has been a long list of yawners. I'm not a great fan of Helicopters. . .I love flying them, but I don't need one of every military type ever built. I was looking forward to another civilian type airplane after the Long-EZ, but the Gee Bee and the Cessna 170 weren't it. With that and now the announcement of this "Islander", for me, it's simply another in a long line of uninteresting airplanes. I don't really think the yawns show any lack of class, but rather just another way of saying "sorry, not interested". Now if we got into name calling or other rudeness that would be considered true bashing, that would show a lack of class.

The Islander may do very well, those who yawned simply find it uninteresting and not worth waiting for.

Nick C
December 8th, 2008, 04:28
Panther, I was led to believe you'd flown an Islander...

http://www.baaa-acro.com/Photos-44/ZS-PCJ-2.jpg

MudMarine
December 8th, 2008, 04:49

Ain't that the truth! Why can't people take a joke, why does everything need to be seen as some kind of personal attack? Lighten up people!:costumes:

MudMarine
December 8th, 2008, 04:51
I could say the same for the seemingly endless variations on the Bf109-Mustang-Fw190-Bf109-Hellcat-Avenger-B17 releases etc etc but that would be impolite.

:costumes: Like you've ever worried about that Wombat!!:costumes: Two Hellcat models, one for FS9 and one that hasn't even been released today for FSX DON"T equal endless. But I get your point! Diffrent strokes for diffrent folks!

noddy
December 8th, 2008, 06:15
OK I admit that I am not a great fan of Civil or Tubeliners, but I guess they have there place.

I can remember going to Isle of Wright many, many years again and see these at Bembridge where they are made. What a great aircraft.

A Trislander would be nice as well, Think I might just have to get this one.

MCDesigns
December 8th, 2008, 08:16

LOL, to funny! :costumes:

Not a big fan of this one, had a good FS2002 model that I used to fly alot. Should do well if the model is up to current AS standards (VC texture loading times excluded, LOL)

Really to bad their jaguar for FS9 never made it's way to FSX, would have loved that one.

cheezyflier
December 8th, 2008, 08:57
i can make the best baloney sandwich possible, but if eveyone prefers ham, it won't sell. why should aircraft be any different? maybe they will make the best islander ever. but if a tree falls in the woods and nobody hears it,
well, you know.

IanP
December 8th, 2008, 09:18
And I could see the headlines here from the first post... "Combat Flight Sim Forum in 'Complaining New Release Isn't Military Enough' Shocker!!". :icon_lol:

For some reason, I'm not entirely surprised. :costumes:

Ian P.

Roger
December 8th, 2008, 09:35
As I understand it the civilian aircraft outsell the mill by many times. You just have to look at Avsim and Flightsim to see what's being repainted.

gajit
December 8th, 2008, 09:35
Am I right in thinking that it is mainly us brits at the moment who like the idea of an Islander? I often get the same feeling about aircraft that we don't see over us in England. I kind of understand the "yawners" but lets hope they wake up if it turns out to be a good product.

I have a funny feeling that more respect would be shown if Carenado or FSD were announcing this one. Go on Alphasim - create a new benchmark even higher than the Turbo Mentor :ernae:

Killbilly
December 8th, 2008, 09:46
i can make the best baloney sandwich possible, but if eveyone prefers ham, it won't sell. why should aircraft be any different? maybe they will make the best islander ever. but if a tree falls in the woods and nobody hears it,
well, you know.

If you check the statistics, civvie planes almost always outsell the military ones. That's probably why AlphaSim is changing over. Civilian simulation seems to be the ham everyone prefers. I love a good military bird as much as the next aviation and history buff, but flying a weaponized plane in a civilian sim (without any real ability to dogfight or destroy targets) is a lot like snuggling with a prostitute. It's nice and all, but it's not really what she's there for (insert multiple yawns here). I find myself flying the civvies quite a lot more than I do the military payware I have (though I often fly the missions that came with Razbam's Intruder).

I'm glad to see AlphaSim making quality civilian planes. I've always liked medium size twins like the BNI. I'm in line for this one provided the performance hit isn't too large.

Thanks for the heads up, Panther. :ernae:

VCN-1
December 8th, 2008, 09:50
I have a funny feeling that more respect would be shown if Carenado or FSD were announcing this one.

I could not agree with you more.

VCN-1

gajit
December 8th, 2008, 10:03
is a lot like snuggling with a prostitute. It's nice and all, but it's not really what she's there for (insert multiple yawns here).

Good comparison - Pros and Producers are in it for the same thing - money!! Rarely getting satisfaction :redf: :jump:

MudMarine
December 8th, 2008, 10:18
And I could see the headlines here from the first post... "Combat Flight Sim Forum in 'Complaining New Release Isn't Military Enough' Shocker!!". :icon_lol:

For some reason, I'm not entirely surprised. :costumes:

Ian P.

:applause: Excellent point Ian!!:applause: So all you GA fans.:bs:......just kidding!!:costumes:

MudMarine
December 8th, 2008, 10:19
I could not agree with you more.

VCN-1

I couldn't disagree more!

MudMarine
December 8th, 2008, 10:21
My concern with the yawns is the lack of class it shows. I consider us to be a group of individuals who are highly knowledgeable in aviation and flight simming. Many developers read these forums.

It would be my hope that we have some influence with developers. Complaining about a product that is not up to current standards or lacks functionality is constructive criticism. It my not be appreciated by the developer but it is recorded for future products. Provided, the criticism is founded on facts and not just childish ranting.

The multiple yawns struck me as childish behavior, totally without substance and beneath the character of this forum, which I am a member. This is the kind of behavior I see at other forums, populated by teenagers who think a $50 program should fly like the Navy's multi-million dollar F-18 simulators.

We are better than that. My original post was to make that statement. This post is to explain my reasoning. I am not trying to demean any member and, I appreciate you explaining your reasoning. We just disagree.

Lack of class!!:costumes: I think they well know the reputaltion of this forum and the people that use it! Being judgemental shows a lack of class. Making a joke shows a sense of humor which is what really seems to be lacking around here!

gajit
December 8th, 2008, 10:42
I couldn't disagree more!

I could not agree less! :bump:

Killbilly
December 8th, 2008, 11:01
I couldn't hardly not barely disagree more or less.

Wait.

CodyValkyrie
December 8th, 2008, 11:03
It will be interesting to see how this turns out. I certainly won't hold anymore against them. They surprised me with the T-34, however I am waiting for a patch.

Civvy sims have a mixed bag when it comes to sales. Alphasim has always done well not always because of the planes they choose, but because they produce so damn many! I am glad to see they have taken a more serious side to producing flight simulations.

As for marketing, and the viability of this product... I say it has more to do with how they market the product than anything else. The 377 is a great example of a well marketed plane. Even though very few existed, and most people generally do not know about them, the plane still has done fairly well with most simmers. Civvy planes do however tend to sell more, there is no doubt. In order for someone to like a warbird for FS, they first have to be an avid FS fan... and THEN want a plane developed for it. Most warbird fans will settle with combat simulators. The same could inversly be said about a Cessna 150 being made for CFS2.... it probably won't have a lot of takers. :D

Regardless, we'll see what happens. I can't say I am an avid AS fan, but everyone could use the competition. Keep producing planes better and better, it will keep me in business!

Cheers,
-Cody

MudMarine
December 8th, 2008, 12:02
I could not agree less! :bump:

:costumes::costumes::173go1: :costumes::costumes:

warbird861
December 8th, 2008, 12:30
I heard something that this was supposed to be publiced by Aerosoft and that the developer just started working for AlphaSim for some reson. :kilroy:

BananaBob
December 8th, 2008, 12:41
Maybe they can mount some .50 cals on it for us military type? :costumes:

michael davies
December 8th, 2008, 13:07
I heard something that this was supposed to be publiced by Aerosoft and that the developer just started working for AlphaSim for some reson. :kilroy:

The alleged developer was already working for Alphasim at the time, in fairness at that time ( two years ago ) Alphasim was not courting civil aircraft, so a in house developer who had a pen chance for such things tended to sell them to a publisher who's catalogue better fitted the subject matter, I did it with the Citation X for Feel There whilst still active with Alphasim, on reflection that was probably ( Seaking aside ) the most rewarding model I ever made.....yes yes, yawn yawn such private feelings are out of place in this holy grail of combat enthusiasm LOL, but its the truth, after (then) nearly 100 combat models, a civil was a breath of fresh air.

Best

Michael

CodyValkyrie
December 8th, 2008, 13:53
Michael, I have always loved the Citation X! Even better knowing you made it! I am not a huge fan of Wilco/FeelThere, but that plane in particular is a very rewarding plane to learn and one of my more favorite GA models. To be honest, and I know I'll take flak for it, but I prefer the Wilco Citation X WAY more than the Eaglesoft offering.

Mithrin
December 8th, 2008, 13:56
The thing that speaks to me is that it's a STOL plane. I think I'll enjoy flying it. In FSX one of my top 5 planes was the Caribou.

michael davies
December 8th, 2008, 14:29
Michael, I have always loved the Citation X! Even better knowing you made it! I am not a huge fan of Wilco/FeelThere, but that plane in particular is a very rewarding plane to learn and one of my more favorite GA models. To be honest, and I know I'll take flak for it, but I prefer the Wilco Citation X WAY more than the Eaglesoft offering.

Thank you, though your too gracious LOL.

Well I didnt and wont get into politics, dont think it was that bad back then anyway, that belly fairing caused weeks of grief, back and forth we went until it was just so, the windscreen was redone umpteen times over as well LOL, all that is old hat now with new modeling tools and techniques, what took weeks back then takes mere hours these days.

To be clear I only did the exterior with textures, not the VC, credit for that and the rest of the package goes elsewhere. attached renders from way back then, when FS gets occlusion lighting like this then were all in for a treat.

Anyway, not to digress too far from the thread, I think the Islander will do well for AS, though it may take some time for the pure Civil enthusiast to begin to take it seriously, shaking off a pure military history might be quite difficult for Alphasim.

Kindest

Michael

d0mokun
December 8th, 2008, 14:33
Chaps,

I post here because I respect to all and I hope that the 'situation' will be understood with clarity.

I was not working with AlphaSim in the position I am now when the Aerosoft Islander was proposed. That much is made clear through the personal emails that Mathijs kindly posted on numerous boards.

The Islander to be released by AlphaSim is NOT the same mesh, nor textures, nor anything else.

I have both source sets to prove this.

I do admit that I may have failed to communicate things clearly to Aerosoft, but what I do not appreciate is what appears to me to be a campaign to ruin my reputation.

The bottom line is that the Aerosoft project was never signed nor continued. It got as far as painting before I had to abandon it.

That much in itself should be the end word.

Best
Dan.

fsafranek
December 8th, 2008, 14:43
... is a lot like snuggling with a prostitute. It's nice and all, but it's not really what she's there for (insert multiple yawns here).

:costumes: Classic. Something here finally made me really laugh. Thanks!!!

kilo delta
December 8th, 2008, 14:46
Welcome to the SOH, Dan :)

Don't suppose you've any screenshots of the new Islander (especially the vc) ???:wavey:

michael davies
December 8th, 2008, 14:48
Chaps,

snip//

but what I do not appreciate is what appears to me to be a campaign to ruin my reputation.

Best
Dan.

In all fairness everyone here has in the past and will probably in the future heaped praises on your work and effort, not entered into a campaign to ruin anyones reputation.

fsafranek
December 8th, 2008, 14:48
It will be interesting to see how this turns out. I certainly won't hold anymore against them. They surprised me with the T-34, however I am waiting for a patch.

Please read page 16 of the T-34 manual. Using the tools listed there might help.
Don't wait for it to happen, ask through the proper channels if it is available.

fsafranek
December 8th, 2008, 14:56
Sorry if my couple of posts above seem completely out of place or in poor taste. I'm working my way through this thread. No intention to detract from the serious nature of the most recent ones by Dano or others.

d0mokun
December 8th, 2008, 15:11
In all fairness everyone here has in the past and will probably in the future heaped praises on your work and effort, not entered into a campaign to ruin anyones reputation.

Hi Michael,

I don't doubt that the good chaps here have no interest in what I describe as a campaign.

I wouldn't have described it as such if the email and dispute hadn't been carried to a few forums.

In my eyes it could've been easily resolved in private, or on the board it started on.

But, end result is that I've been told by Phil to step it up and get previews of the Islander out.

Expect them very soon. Putting all the rivets on is a difficult task. Especially when I'm juggling painting with defending my integrity!

BR
Dan. :wiggle:

michael davies
December 8th, 2008, 15:26
Hi Michael,

I don't doubt that the good chaps here have no interest in what I describe as a campaign.

I wouldn't have described it as such if the email and dispute hadn't been carried to a few forums.

In my eyes it could've been easily resolved in private, or on the board it started on.

But, end result is that I've been told by Phil to step it up and get previews of the Islander out.

Expect them very soon. Putting all the rivets on is a difficult task. Especially when I'm juggling painting with defending my integrity!

BR
Dan. :wiggle:

Dan, your young, but heres some bitter advice ( FWIW ) from an old grizzled long timer, don't use the forum to defend your integrity, use your work, its a far more succinct and powerful message, took me nine years to work that out, about two days before I consciously decided to pack it all in ironically.

Look forward to the Islander images.

Best

Michael

CodyValkyrie
December 8th, 2008, 16:10
Please read page 16 of the T-34 manual. Using the tools listed there might help.
They are aware of the issues... such as the stuttering when you reload the model, etc. No need to further clog the lines of communication.

wilycoyote4
December 8th, 2008, 16:51
By my account, this is the 74th posting and this thread has been accessed 1,451 times ---- including this one ---- in short, in case any reader would like some info on the Islander the web sites below may help. STOL is interesting as well as the long active history of successful commercial use in many fields of aviation. A workhorse hardly noticed in the shadows of Jumbos. :ernae: Cheers

http://www.britten-norman.com/products/bn2b/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Britten-Norman_Islander

d0mokun
December 8th, 2008, 16:51
Thanks for the advice Michael- I shall do just that and show everyone a wonderful little Islander!

Cody, on the contrary- there is every need to contact us via tech support. Whilst the patch is not ready, I can offer a fix. I can't you help if you don't contact support in the first place.

Best
Dan.

Panther_99FS
December 8th, 2008, 16:53
Ain't it amazing how these AlphaSim threads always end up....:isadizzy::isadizzy::isadizzy:

Henry
December 8th, 2008, 17:01
He He we are a funny lot here
thats why its called the outhouse:bs:
looking over this thread in general
i can see why some people are not interested in non ww planes
and especially at this site, what would happen if piglet proclaimed
he was working on an airbus
would we jump :jump: or maybe not:costumes:
bottom line is we are all simcrazed with our own opinions
and what we love, i bet if i did a poll
to what we fly here and another at say flightsim and avsim
one would see 3 different results
bottom line is we need great designers coming up with a
choice of different designs
and flavors, We the consumers can choose what we like
i love ww planes but i still have a bunch of GA and tubeliners
for different reasons
can we really tell designers what to make
most i know make what they feel
and from my point of view im glad to take advantage of there talent.
a good friend of mine makes aircraft or did
and they were not my favorites until he made them
then they became just that
a man cannot live on mossies alone :costumes:
H

VCN-1
December 8th, 2008, 17:30
If Alphasim could produce every variant of a particular plane and a VC so realistic that you could smell the hydraulic fluid and got 40 FPS and only charged $5 per copy there would be complaints.

It should have gotten 45 FPS, a toggle switch is .5 inches from where it should be and there are not the proper number of rivets on the access panel and the paint color should be 49.48.35 not 49.48.34. For $5 it should have been capable of dripping oil on the tarmac.

BTW I read at the SOH forum about the FSD Commander but I don't see "yawns" there. Must be very popular. For what it is worth I liked it.

I think that respect issue has appeared again.

I am not trying to insinuate<style><!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:"Cambria Math"; panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:roman; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-1610611985 1107304683 0 0 159 0;} @font-face {font-family:Calibri; panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:-1610611985 1073750139 0 0 159 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-unhide:no; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} span.EmailStyle15 {mso-style-type:personal; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-unhide:no; mso-ansi-font-size:11.0pt; mso-bidi-font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi; color:windowtext;} .MsoChpDefault {mso-style-type:export-only; mso-default-props:yes; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Calibri; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;} </style> <![endif]--> that Alphasim has released a perfect package in any of their releases but I am unaware if any other developer has either. Enlighten me on the perfect package if it exist I may want to purchase it.

Panther, not that you need it but, you have my permission to delete this post and I won't ask why.

I will get off my soap box.

VCN-1

Shane Olguin
December 8th, 2008, 18:28
If you check the statistics, civvie planes almost always outsell the military ones. That's probably why AlphaSim is changing over. Civilian simulation seems to be the ham everyone prefers. I love a good military bird as much as the next aviation and history buff, but flying a weaponized plane in a civilian sim (without any real ability to dogfight or destroy targets) is a lot like snuggling with a prostitute. It's nice and all, but it's not really what she's there for (insert multiple yawns here). I find myself flying the civvies quite a lot more than I do the military payware I have (though I often fly the missions that came with Razbam's Intruder).

I'm glad to see AlphaSim making quality civilian planes. I've always liked medium size twins like the BNI. I'm in line for this one provided the performance hit isn't too large.

Thanks for the heads up, Panther. :ernae:

Nice post, thanks for the support!

I do believe Phil wants to tap into the civilian market a little more as it is indeed a more lucrative one. However, that doesn't mean we're turning our backs on our roots; I know for certain we have a couple military aircraft in the works once we get the next batch of high-quality releases out.

Shane Olguin
December 8th, 2008, 18:35
If Alphasim could produce every variant of a particular plane and a VC so realistic that you could smell the hydraulic fluid and got 40 FPS and only charged $5 per copy there would be complaints.

What sort of hydraulic fluid? MIL-H-5606, MIL-H-83282, MIL-H-87257, or Skydrol 500? They all STINK, especially the rancid stuff in brake assemblies that doesn't receive any dynamic pressure or fluid flow. That stuff STINKS when you tear down the brake!! :banghead:

deathfromafar
December 8th, 2008, 19:49
"
Quote:
<table width="100%" border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr> <td class="alt2" style="border: 1px inset ;"> Originally Posted by deathfromafar http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/winter/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?p=54208#post54208)
</td> </tr> </tbody></table>
Ain't that the truth! Why can't people take a joke, why does everything need to be seen as some kind of personal attack? Lighten up people!:costumes: "

Yeah, I'll tell ya, the internet is a brazen & bruising place sometimes. Bad part is that no one can tell for sure if someone is joking around as I was or if they are serious. Typed words no matter how complex or properly detailed cannot always carry emotions, only tip them one way or another often creating some sort of firestorm triggering ill will and worse, overreaction by moderators who come off like parent/team coaches separating the "boys" when they get out of line. Quite frankly, that is insulting as hell. Things have reached a point here where no one can speak a dissenting point of view regarding a payware/freeware product, or anything else without taking heat over it or getting a thread lock much like other fanboy sites. I joined this site for one reason, the love of the hobby of flight sims and aviation. Even in aviation circles, you're going to have vastly different points of view and those who're going to say what they think. Those opinions are not always an insult and sometimes words spoken are akin to those you hear in a sports team locker room or military/squadron briefing rooms. You know, jabs and tongue in cheek stuff.
As Mud Marine said: "Lighten up people!" If not, I am outta here!

CodyValkyrie
December 8th, 2008, 22:24
http://www.forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?showtopic=21620

*sigh*

I was hoping the rumors were not true. Seems business never changes. Nothing like an old fashioned communications breakdown.

IanP
December 8th, 2008, 22:49
Communications breakdown, yes... I think in Mathijs's position, I'd be a lot more annoyed than he says he is. It doesn't look very professional to be working on something and offering it to one publisher, then the same developer doing the same model (different mesh or otherwise) for a different publisher without talking to the first.

This looks less like an "orchestrated attack" than "digging yourself a hole and forgetting the bring the ladder down with you" at the moment from an outsider's perspective.

Ian P.

bazzar
December 8th, 2008, 23:24
I used to commute between islands in Islanders and Tri-landers. Great shorthaul STOL aeroplanes and deservedly should have a place in aviation history.

Good choice of subject and one that should be in FSX.

Also, wearing my consumer hat for a moment, I really must agree that all this unqualified criticism and sniping at material that has either just been or just about to be launched is what is turning a lot of people away from these sites, me included (for whatever that's worth). It really is reducing the fun of being around the place.

For pity's sake, lighten up.

I know we're all doing it tough (some more than others) but a bit of positive spin on things just might pull everybody out of the mire do you not think?

My apologies to the thread author but since suffering personal strife of my own recently, I've decided to say what I feel for a change.

CodyValkyrie
December 8th, 2008, 23:38
I do agree with others here. I think this is not a bad choice. Nothing wrong with a few civvie planes in the hanger. Frankly, I would rather have a good GA sim than a half baked military plane... and please don't get me wrong in that comment. A military plane doesn't feel right without all the widgets and gidgets. I like working radards, gunsights, etc in my planes.

Frankly, GA aircraft in this regard in some circumstances are plain easier to build... Unless of course you start getting crazy with all the glass cockpits, systems, GPS units, etc.

Anyways, I'm rambling and it is late. Cheers. If Alphasim can keep up the work that was done on the T-34, LongEZ etc and move that into all their new planes, they will have regained my trust as a developer. I dont' perceive this as a bad move, nor do I see them moving away from their roots of developing military simulations. If anything, a well produced and high selling GA plane only serves to further their cashflow, which means more higher fidelity simulations.

d0mokun
December 8th, 2008, 23:39
Yes, it was a communications break down on my part and that much I admit.

The fact still remains that none of the 'rumours' are true.

THe AlphaSim Islander is NOT the Aerosoft Islander. How many times do I have to repeat that?

Best
Dan.

CodyValkyrie
December 8th, 2008, 23:46
I think "I" and many here as well believe you Dan. There would be no reason to be illusive about this issue. Your admittance on the subject only further proves the point I believe as well.

Anyways, as I said on the Aerosoft forum, it is what it is. I have learned some VERY HARD lessons since working commercially Dan. I have embarrassed the hell out of myself with a BIG client and lost a major contract. Live and learn... well, at least in my case anyways.

Good luck regardless.

d0mokun
December 8th, 2008, 23:52
Thanks Cody, I appreciate it.

BR
Dan.

IanP
December 9th, 2008, 00:14
As Cody says, the critical thing is to learn from it, which hopefully will be the case. I know a lot of people (mainly publishers) who are tearing their hair out over similar things at the moment - don't feel singled out, Dan - you're far from alone in the industry!

For what it's worth, I do hope the BNI is a success. I can't say I'll be getting it at the moment, but it's a fun little aircraft and with such a wide range of applications and roles, it's definitely a good choice to model and has been missing from the sim for some time.

Ian P.

d0mokun
December 9th, 2008, 00:18
Thanks Ian. I certainly have learned a lesson from it- for better or for worse.

I will be posting previews of a few Islander schemes shortly, so watch this space!

Best
Dan.

kilo delta
December 9th, 2008, 00:38
I will be posting previews of a few Islander schemes shortly, so watch this space!

Best
Dan.

Please, please....include an Aer Arann repaint in the release too :wavey:

IanP
December 9th, 2008, 00:44
Probably worth remembering that it's a BNI - more often than a Twotter - that does the shortest scheduled air service in the world, operated by Loganair. ;)

Ian P.

d0mokun
December 9th, 2008, 00:56
KD- we have 20 schemes planned for this package, so it is probably there.

To make sure though, could you send me a photo of the one in question?

BR
Dan.

bazzar
December 9th, 2008, 01:12
Aurigny I hope Dan?:mixedsmi:

kilo delta
December 9th, 2008, 01:25
KD- we have 20 schemes planned for this package, so it is probably there.

To make sure though, could you send me a photo of the one in question?

BR
Dan.

That's great news, Dan :)

Some images are available here.........

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?airline=Aer%20Arann%20Islands

http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?airlinesearch=Aer%20Arann%20Islands&distinct_entry=true

d0mokun
December 9th, 2008, 01:31
Thanks KD. I'll make sure it gets included in our freeware schemes set.

BR
Dan.

kilo delta
December 9th, 2008, 02:51
:ernae::wavey:

JT8D-9A
December 9th, 2008, 03:14
Will it be released this month and which variants will be included???
Can't wait to see shots of the VC:jump::jump:

(http://www.airliners.net/photo/Windward-Express-Airways/Britten-Norman-BN-2B-26-Islander/1426039/M/&sok=WHERE__%28airline_%3D_%27Windward_Express_Airw ays%27%29_&sort=%20order%20by%20photo_id%20DESC%20&photo_nr=1&tbl=photo_info)

d0mokun
December 9th, 2008, 03:25
Hi Nils,

Release is indeed planned for this month.

We have two types, both with the same powerplant- BN2A and B, basically. The two types of nose and different beacon arrays are represented.

We have no plans to do the Trislander or BN2T in future though.

The Islander has been crafted with kind assistance from Great Barrier Express, so instead of going wide with our plans, we chose to stick to the ones we could study up-close.

The cockpit on this one certainly is going to be fun, though. Single pilot ops, all the waY! :ernae:

Rimshot
December 9th, 2008, 03:44
Looking forward to this one a lot. Great news :jump: Any Aussie paints included?

d0mokun
December 9th, 2008, 04:05
A Solomon Islander is represented, as is a Barrier Aviation aeroplane!

We do also have a bunch of Kiwi birds though- got to keep it in the home spirit!

If you want to suggest any Aussie birds we will of course add them to our follow-up paint pack. I would like to include Aussie birds especially for our Aussie and OrbX flyers.

BR
Dan.

Mickey D
December 9th, 2008, 05:44
I'm sure there's been a military camo'd version of the BNI Dano. ;) But perhaps my memory is failing.

JT8D-9A
December 9th, 2008, 06:00
Hi Nils,

Release is indeed planned for this month.

We have two types, both with the same powerplant- BN2A and B, basically. The two types of nose and different beacon arrays are represented.

We have no plans to do the Trislander or BN2T in future though.

The Islander has been crafted with kind assistance from Great Barrier Express, so instead of going wide with our plans, we chose to stick to the ones we could study up-close.

The cockpit on this one certainly is going to be fun, though. Single pilot ops, all the waY! :ernae:
Cool thanks! I will save my money for it :ernae:
It's the perfect aircraft for all the sceneries i have :wiggle:

Nick C
December 9th, 2008, 06:30
The sad fact is that this industry is plagued by bad communication to a level I haven't seen in any other. Perhaps that's because it's primarily an online, faceless industry?

I too was going to contact you to ask about the Aerosoft Islander Dan, especially as I seem to remember that it was I that suggested your abilities to Mathijs, hence my comment at the start of this thread. But as you haven't replied to any of my latter emails or my request to contact me on other forums, I guessed any further emails would be ignored. Perhaps Mathijs felt the same?

I wish you the best with this product and I too will be looking to purchase, but please remember communication is a two way street.

Now, back to topic :kilroy:

d0mokun
December 9th, 2008, 14:39
Hi Nick,

I have had no emails from you in a good time, otherwise you'd have had a reply or two by now.

I also did add you to my skype contacts- remember I'm 13 hours ahead, and by the looks of it our times never cross.

Just for the record, I've had nothing from anyone at Aerosoft since those emails either. My contact details are freely available but if they are not used..

But indeed, back on topic.

The Camo Islander is probably a Defender- BN2T.

Best
Dan.

Panther_99FS
December 9th, 2008, 14:50
A 6 page thread and.....
The aircraft hasn't even been released yet....:cost1::mixedsmi:

d0mokun
December 9th, 2008, 15:07
Must be a good sign!

There will be previews today.

BR
Dan.

JT8D-9A
December 10th, 2008, 05:25
VC shots please :running:

gera
December 10th, 2008, 06:01
This plane has been flying to our islands and outback towns for over 30 years.....I flew in it several times in good and bad weather. I have the freeware one and fly it at least once a week to remote places...................IŽll buy it as soon I see it. Gracias!!!!!:ernae::ernae:

JT8D-9A
December 11th, 2008, 07:04
Wooooow:
http://www.virtualavia.com/alphasim/index.php?topic=376.0 :applause::applause:

gera
December 11th, 2008, 07:29
The SAN ( National Air Service),Panama has no Air Force nor Army..Thanks God!!!!" flies these all the time.....old jobs but rugged as nails.....:kilroy:

http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=6206105&nseq=9

Kiwikat
December 11th, 2008, 12:42
The SAN ( National Air Service),Panama has no Air Force nor Army..Thanks God!!!!" flies these all the time.....old jobs but rugged as nails.....:kilroy:

http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=6206105&nseq=9

Hi Gera, we would be happy to include that paint in our freeware paint pack that will be released soon after the aircraft's release.

Kiwikat
December 11th, 2008, 20:28
There are now previews on the main AlphaSim site. A special set of previews will follow in the unofficial forum a bit later tonight or tomorrow.

www.alphasim.co.uk

hobofat
January 15th, 2009, 13:31
Forgive the forum lurking...from a sheep in wolves clothing :)

I have not looked forward to release of a MSFS aircraft as much as I have the AS BN-2. I was first introduced to AS with the GeeBee and was so impressed I picked up the Rutan Long-EZ (and a few military additions as well). From all appearances, it looks like AS will outdo itself again with the BN2. I check the alphasim website about 10 times a day hoping for an update, I'm helpless :help: As my two cents to some of the topics in this thread, I would say that Alphasim's works speak for themselves, and they speak very well for themselves I might add.

Looking forward to release!

Just curious too if a Pacific Sun livery will be included. No worries if not, I like painting too!

jmig
January 16th, 2009, 03:18
Forgive the forum lurking...from a sheep in wolves clothing :)

I have not looked forward to release of a MSFS aircraft as much as I have the AS BN-2. I was first introduced to AS with the GeeBee and was so impressed I picked up the Rutan Long-EZ (and a few military additions as well). From all appearances, it looks like AS will outdo itself again with the BN2. I check the alphasim website about 10 times a day hoping for an update, I'm helpless :help: As my two cents to some of the topics in this thread, I would say that Alphasim's works speak for themselves, and they speak very well for themselves I might add.

Looking forward to release!

Just curious too if a Pacific Sun livery will be included. No worries if not, I like painting too!

Welcome to posting Hobofat! :welcome:

Don't take so long to post again. You express yourself very well. Besides the poor AS developer/contributors who post here would welcome a friendly voice. :jump: