PDA

View Full Version : Dive bombing ??

demorier
May 29th, 2011, 01:40
You are reading the post of the worlds worst simulator dive bomber. Can hit things with fair percentage in a Dauntless, but anything else...I'm bloody useless.

bearcat241
May 29th, 2011, 06:39
The natural temptation in DB is to pull the stick back immediately after release. In the real world this may work with a high accuracy rate (with good aim), but in a simulator things are different. I had to learn in CFS2 to aim as in a near vertical strafing attack and hold that same angle of attack for a minimum two seconds after release is what works best, no matter what mount i fly. The ordnance weight algorithm is not perfect, so the bombs follow the flight angle of your plane a second or two longer after release than in the RW before gravitational weight kicks in and affects the trajectory. If you pull out too fast, the ordnance follows your pull just enough to land a bit long of the target. but if you hold the AOA longer as if doing pinpoint strafing, it ensures a higher accuracy rate.

I sort of picked this up by accident some years ago after reading more about how WW2 pilots used their guns to aim in DB. This naturally forces the pilot to hold that aim longer for effective bullet hits before pulling out. Once i started doing this routinely, my accuracy automatically improved as well, no matter what i was flying.

Shadow Wolf 07
May 29th, 2011, 07:53
Bearcat makes a good point in holding the AOA. Plus, in CS2 the blast effest is less than in real life and you can release lower. That is helpful when attacking moving targets (ships).

tonybones2112
May 29th, 2011, 21:17
Same here, I actually do strafe the few times I do dive bomb.

Bones

demorier
May 29th, 2011, 23:18
I shallow dive I'm not to bad, but when it gets steep I'm hopeless, unless I'm flying the Dauntless with the dive brakes on.

Shall try those suggestions...thanks.

I think I would be the first one kicked out of a dive bombing squadron.

Pen32Win
May 31st, 2011, 13:08
Demorier;

Being a Typhoon fanatic I've had to learn the old art of "High Altitude Relaese" Dive Bombing. I started doing this years ago when I wanted to recreate the "No Ball" Raids by "Bombphoons" on the V-1 Sites in Northwestern France. Starting about 12-15,000 feet and releasing at 4,000 feet. In CFS2 it's hard, very hard as matter of fact, but it can be done. It took a lot of trial and error and then pacticing what does work with you particular mount.

Jagdflieger
May 31st, 2011, 18:34
With my love of roller coasters, I would have been a natural dive bomber pilot!

demorier
May 31st, 2011, 20:39
Pic number 3 is about my accuracy or worse. Strange that with those stock dive bomb training missions, sometimes I will get a direct hit and explosion on deck and the narrator says "close but no cigar"...that's a little weird.

I've made my own practice mission.

Jagdflieger
May 31st, 2011, 20:53
Bomb hits close to the hull often ruptured plates and dislodged machinery and shrapnel often penetrated the hull and had a terrible effect on exposed deck personnel. Of course I was aiming for the bridge.:jump:

demorier
June 1st, 2011, 01:18
I'm starting to get the hang of this BC...I've even turned off the bomb cheat thingy, at least for the time being. :wavey: