PDA

View Full Version : CV-32 Leyte - beta textures?

delta_lima
May 28th, 2011, 12:37
Hello,

Just a couple of shots - and a question: is there plans afoot to ever finish the texturing on this lovely beta? Micheal Davies really modelled a jewel here - it would such a shame if there weren't textures to dress her up properly.

dl

fliger747
May 28th, 2011, 17:03
It is a great ship, I have no idea what the prospects for this one are. Michael has been very busy with numerous things in life and he was good enough to put this into our hands after some prodding.

I use it for most of my testing of vintage carrier aircraft.

Cheers: T

delta_lima
May 28th, 2011, 18:15
Thanks Tom,

What I was wondering was if Micheal had any objections to a repainter finishing it off ... I'm certainly very happy with the quality (and performance) of the model itself.

She's my 1950's American carrier of choice too!

dl

fliger747
May 29th, 2011, 10:12
Ask M. Davies! He s a pretty good gent and was kind enough to allow the continuation of the P-61 project from his model.

I am sure some paints would be much appreciated by many!

T

crashaz
May 29th, 2011, 11:26
Yes.... he has contributed some very nice things for us to enjoy. I am sure Michael would be open to some repaints if asked.

delta_lima
May 29th, 2011, 12:32
I PM'ed him ... let's see.

The beauty of that model is that there are a number of carriers that could be represented, even if there a few indidivudal radar and armament differences - Leyte, Yorkton, Lexington, and others in the pre-angled deck period.

Don't know how hard it would be to texture, but if Michael agrees, and someone consideres it - it will be a lovely finished product - I'm sure of that.

thanks for supporting idea,

dl

gradyhappyg
May 29th, 2011, 12:39
I did some different deck textures if anyone wants them and it's ok with MR Davies.

michael davies
May 30th, 2011, 04:48
Thanks for the interest guys, you can play with the textures already in there and release as you see fit, thats no problem. As for the beta textures, well its a bit more complex than that, at the moment there just swatches to cover large areas, they are not textures that are mapped in any way shape or form, to texture the model fully would take me months of work, especially if you desire baked textures which to be honest, you have to on a vessel this big. To map the textures you need the source model and theres no way that will get released after recent events and dealings with people from within the community, sadly the few still spoil it for the majority.

I believe Mark Harper (FSDSMAN) posted a few weeks back that he has an Essex near completetion, no idea of the complexity or the era planned but it'll be like his other ships and probably very nice too, not sure if pay or freeware, that wasn't made clear in the post.

I do want to get back the the Essex models, but to be honest, FSx does not feature in my life right now, I recently bought the (cant even remember the company) B757, flew it twice, optimised the PC for its frame rates, ohh'd and ahh'd and then haven't turned on FSx since (6 weeks) so as to when I get back to the Essex models, well thats anyones guess LOL.

Probably not what y'all want to hear, but who knows, I might wake up tomorrow and go hell bent on the4 mapping LOL, I doubt it, but I'll worry about tomorrow when today ends :).

Kindest

Michael

delta_lima
May 30th, 2011, 07:48
Hello Michael,

Thanks for the reply. Sorry to hear there was some personal nastiness involved with this model - always a shame. It never ceases to amaze me at the titanic proportions of some grown men's immaturity when it comes to this hobby.

Anyway - in the absence of another period model, I'm totally fine with what's already here. I had no idea the mapping wasn't done, so now I understand why you'd not want to invest a ton of work into this project.

If some new deck textures emerge, that sounds like a pretty decent step forward - all in all, the glass is still more than half full ... :ernae:

cheers,

dl

mal998
May 30th, 2011, 10:05
OK, don't laugh too hard at my amateurish attempt to re-color the deck. This comes from someone who knows next to nothing about painting.

I simply opened up the deck dds file and changed the color. Here is the result. I'm sure that someone with more experience will do a better job.

michael davies
May 30th, 2011, 11:22
Hello Michael,

Thanks for the reply. Sorry to hear there was some personal nastiness involved with this model - always a shame. It never ceases to amaze me at the titanic proportions of some grown men's immaturity when it comes to this hobby.

Anyway - in the absence of another period model, I'm totally fine with what's already here. I had no idea the mapping wasn't done, so now I understand why you'd not want to invest a ton of work into this project.

If some new deck textures emerge, that sounds like a pretty decent step forward - all in all, the glass is still more than half full ...

cheers,

dl

No nastiness on this model, actually no real nastiness at all, just plain rudeness, I find it staggering that people have all the time in the world to ask a question or request an old mesh but find no time at all to say thanks afterward after the files have been sent or their question answered. Its not just FS, I think its a general thing the world over, made easier by the remoteness of the Internet, and to be blunt I'm tired of playing the game, they will never change nor care about their actions, so to avoid possible conflict I just remove myself from the equation now, simples :).

One thing to consider with the Essex model is that most people are really only interested in the bits they see from the cockpit, it'd be a 'reasonably' simple task to map the flight deck, then you could add the cleats and wood effect and painted lines, that may be a half way option, it certainly wont be this week but its something I might be able to slot in in the near future and offer up as an update sort of thing, it'd require a new mdl as well for the mapping. That might be one way forward, tackle it in bite size chunks rather than all at once, mind you could end up with one of those models with tons of textures in the texture folder, and that generally is bad for FPS, though I don't think the old girls suffer that much from FPS issues anyway from what I have heard.

Best

Michael

michael davies
May 30th, 2011, 11:28
OK, don't laugh too hard at my amateurish attempt to re-color the deck. This comes from someone who knows next to nothing about painting.

I simply opened up the deck dds file and changed the color. Here is the result. I'm sure that someone with more experience will do a better job.

Mal you need to use a single color, ie one with out any noise, every pixel must have the exact same value RGB, this is due to the clone effect you have, rather than one map of say 1000x1000 for the whole deck, you have 100 at 10x10, therefore any blemish on that one texture will be repeated 100 times and look basically like a carpet. I think one of the texture compilers actually adds a noise component when it compiles the textures, either DXTBmp or Imagetool, you need to make an adjustment somewhere or save in a different format DXT3 or DXT5 or something, I'm going on blind guesswork as it month since I did anything in FS and Max and its scary how quick you forget things in this game.

Best

Michael

mal998
May 30th, 2011, 12:10
Hi Michael,
yeah, I see exactly what you are talking about, but I was so happy just to see that what I tried to do actually worked, I went ahead and posted it anyway.

Best to you and your's since we haven't spoken in a while.
mal

delta_lima
May 30th, 2011, 12:24
No nastiness on this model, actually no real nastiness at all, just plain rudeness, I find it staggering that people have all the time in the world to ask a question or request an old mesh but find no time at all to say thanks afterward after the files have been sent or their question answered. Its not just FS, I think its a general thing the world over, made easier by the remoteness of the Internet, and to be blunt I'm tired of playing the game, they will never change nor care about their actions, so to avoid possible conflict I just remove myself from the equation now, simples :).

One thing to consider with the Essex model is that most people are really only interested in the bits they see from the cockpit, it'd be a 'reasonably' simple task to map the flight deck, then you could add the cleats and wood effect and painted lines, that may be a half way option, it certainly wont be this week but its something I might be able to slot in in the near future and offer up as an update sort of thing, it'd require a new mdl as well for the mapping. That might be one way forward, tackle it in bite size chunks rather than all at once, mind you could end up with one of those models with tons of textures in the texture folder, and that generally is bad for FPS, though I don't think the old girls suffer that much from FPS issues anyway from what I have heard.

Best

Michael

I'm not surprised to hear you comment about ingratitude - a scarce virtue, to be sure. Some of the nastier characters seem to be moving along, so hopefully things will get better around here.

Phased approach totally makes sense. Looking at how to get the best result for the least amount of work, would it make sense to tackle the mapping by

1) Main Hull (only the large vertical surfaces
2) Island walls (again, only the large vertical surfaces)

Ignoring the guns, radar, and other stuff, at least for now - could that give a more finished look (coloured hull, coloured island) - together with whatever deck textures seem to be emerging?

Maybe that's all too tacit to be worth anything - just my thoughts on this ....

cheers,

dl

gradyhappyg
May 31st, 2011, 10:58
Little more playing around texturewise.
Too dark?

delta_lima
May 31st, 2011, 11:12
Little more playing around texturewise.
Too dark?

Not bad at all.

http://www.daleisphere.com/wp-content/uploads/bridges-at-toko-ri-1954-jets-taking-off-from-uss-oriskany.jpg

Maybe a little too red, but I wouldn't say too dark - could even go darker. If anything, there is could be less reflectivity/sheen, more matte. I know the above pic is only a still from a period 50's video, and of course, lighting on that particular day, moisture on deck, all those play illusions on what the "true colour" was. Don't know if that helps ...

Headed in the right direction, though :applause:

dl

gradyhappyg
May 31st, 2011, 11:28
Thanks I will keep at it. Removing the alpha didn't do much for the sheen/shine.
Did find a very nice website to help with research http://www.maritimequest.com/index.htm

gradyhappyg
May 31st, 2011, 13:18
More tinkering.

delta_lima
May 31st, 2011, 13:33
More tinkering.

Way too light now ...:icon_lol:

sorry - couldn't resist. Must have forgoten to upload the image ...

gradyhappyg
May 31st, 2011, 13:34
Better?

Holy cow I just keep messin up. Better quit while I am only slightly behind!

delta_lima
May 31st, 2011, 13:45
Hey - now it's looking "woody" ... very nice!

dl

Helldiver
June 1st, 2011, 06:35
You got me out of my retirement with the subject of the USS Leyte. Having spent a year and a half on board her with the Aircraft Group, I have some pictures. But there all of SB2C, TBF, F6F and F8Fs. No jets. Some show the island in detail.
I was always in admiration of Mike Davies rendering of the Leyte and told him that it was almost like being back on the old ship.
However, who ever did the deck it's too brown. These were teak logs and they quickly turned into a grey weathered surface. Like the shingles on a Cape Cod Cottage. A replacement log would have a light color like fresh cut wood. They were replaced fairly often around the arresting gear from hook and prop strikes etc. On the 5 inch gun mounts the two projections should stand out further They were the eyes of the mount and gave depth or distance perception.
Now if I can only find out where my wife hid my pictures...

Bone
June 1st, 2011, 06:39
You got me out of my retirement with the subject of the USS Leyte. ...

Lol. No shame in that.

delta_lima
June 1st, 2011, 07:53
On the 5 inch gun mounts the two projections should stand out further They were the eyes of the mount and gave depth or distance perception.

Just so we're clear - and if you read the entire thread, this should be obvious: my post is about textures. I'm already on a bit of a limb requesting someone look at the texturing, and Michael has been clear about the work it would take to do the mapping even for said exercise.

If there's another Essex being developed by another dev - that's who might be able to still make changes around turrets, antennae, etc. As I understand it, this mesh is "pinned" - and in the big picture scheme of things, a very fine job.

dl

gradyhappyg
June 1st, 2011, 10:27
I can do faded. Also first attempt to add the tie downs. Needs work!39287

gradyhappyg
June 1st, 2011, 11:36
The wife is on her way home so this is it for today. Some recoloring of the 20 mil and quads added tie downs and faded the deck color. For those who like the darker brown I will add tie downs and upload both along with the other changes ASAP.

delta_lima
June 1st, 2011, 12:08
Looks great - the beam-wise plank is far more convincing than the beta textures.

I hear where HD is coming from - the shot I submitted shows a dullish greyish brown too. The last set look the best so far - and if more colour images emerge, they may shine more light on the subject. I think we should give the artists license to interpret what they choose: do they want to show the ship as launched, nice and new, or more weathered?

Though I prefer weathered surfaces in general, that's a prerogative I'll happily leave to the painter - the point is, they're looking much better.

Huge thanks GH!!!

dl

michael davies
June 1st, 2011, 16:42
HD, how the devil are you LOL, regarding the optical sights on the Mk32 5", they should be the correct size I'm afraid, certainly for WWII which is what I have detailed drawings for, I'm at work right now but could find the exact dimension if any one wants it. That doesn't mean that they were not altered later in life, my understanding is that the optics were the same and matched the weapon and firing plotters but they could have been altered later in life, I didn't think they were but will conceed if anyone can show evidence that I can add to my data collection. It may also be a FS optical problem as well, FS doesn't have a world thats optically the same as ours, it tends to distort or compress things when viewed at certain angles, you tend not to notice on planes but very large objects do tend to look odd from certain quarters.

(Addendum) just done a quick web scan and seen some with what looks like enlarged optic housings, could well be different types of shrouds for the optics, as seen here http://www.steelnavy.com/images/2003%20June/twin5dp9956title.JPG , though of note this fitting has different rear access and other detail differences over Essex fitted Mk32, there are two offical Mk32, Mod0 and Mod4 but there may well have been hundreds of unofficial minor mods. More information on 5"/38cal can be found here http://navalhistory.flixco.info/H/74898/8330/a0.htm , nice site as it semi details which mounts went on which vessels etc, though beware, the image they show for the Essex class is clearly not from an Essex carrier!.

The antenna is totally wrong, I already know that, its a late WWII fit but even then probably only suits one or two specific vessels for a small amount of time, the mast area changed almost monthly on vessels and very few are identical if even close, such was the pace of developement and differences in shipyard installations.

I like the reworked deck textures, amazed how you got deck cleats to show on such a tiny swatch, or that they all face the same way and are evenly spaced, must have mapped it just right LOL. The only down side is that all your deck textures might now be wood (cannot recall which bits were mapped where), even those that are ment to be steel. Regarding color, all horizontal surfaces were supposed to be painted a dark grey (sometimes even the tops of turrets or gun mounts too), can't remember the exact shade, but as HD notes, on the main deck it soon got scuffed and the wood showed through a little. Unpainted wooden decks went out very early in WWII and were stained or painted dark blue which was changed to dark grey in the 50s, hence the orignal grey texture. I've got a few B&W photos might have a few color as well, but the deck was never wood even in Korea. If I get chance tomorrow between night shifts I'll dig out my Korean color shots which show the deck color and post them up for y'all to look at.

The model really does need a devoted deck texture, if I get chance over the next week or so I'll try and map one in better detail and send out a modified set of files, no promises as I have a hell of a lot of other stuff that must be done.

Kindest

Michael

fliger747
June 1st, 2011, 20:58
On the dual mounts there are two hoods as shown on the port side and one on the starboard. On the single mounts, such as found on destroyers, we had optical units which were normally covered by a flush hinged cover on the front of the mount. Both types of mounts had a gun captain position whict was a small hatch at the top, aft extremity of the mount roof. In most cases these had a hood which was intended to protect the gun captain from nearby blast etc.

T

gradyhappyg
June 1st, 2011, 21:11
Here is what I have so far a new deck on the right to more used look in the middle to the faded unpainted on the left. Problem is when photos were taken most were aimed at the aircraft not the deck and the ones I have seen show a wide variety of both shades and colors so I am mostly guessing. Since these are fairly small files only 35 kb I will upload them all sometime tommorrow and let everyone decide which one they like the best.Also Michael is right about some of the textures showing out of place like in the gun galleries cat walks and hanger deck also show the cleats and wood look textures. Thanks again Micheal for this great boat.:salute:

Helldiver
June 2nd, 2011, 05:44
39341As far as deck textures are concerned there was two USS Leytes. The original WWII deck and then the one that was used for jets. I know absolutely nothing about what kind of deck that was employed for them. Some kind of plastic I believe.
But the deck that I remember looked liked the siding of this Cape Cod Cottage. It's weathered redwood shingle siding and looks the same as the teak decking used on a carrier. With a few oill spots and tire marks for decorations.
The decking was married with overlapping joints. they measured about 8 foot long and were 8 inches square. When one was replaced, two swabbies would race out and using a long handled pick pull out the damaged section, continue across the deck and heave it over the side. In the mean time,39340 another couple of men with a new piece of teak, carried in ice tongs, would provide the replacement. This all took place in just seconds.

expat
June 2nd, 2011, 06:43
When one was replaced, two swabbies would race out and using a long handled pick pull out the damaged section, continue across the deck and heave it over the side. In the mean time, another couple of men with a new piece of teak, carried in ice tongs, would provide the replacement. This all took place in just seconds.

Yet another priceless gem from you HD !! :salute:

delta_lima
June 2nd, 2011, 07:58
It looks to me that that straight-deck carriers were using wood decks post WWII and into Korea ...

http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/images/k09000/k09496.jpg

Here's a shot that shows off that greyish colour that HD is talking about ... Robert A. Carey, AF2, aboard USS Leyte, 1952

http://www.navsource.org/archives/02/cv-32/c14.jpg

You can clearly see the planks on the very bottom of this shot ... indeed, looks like about 8" wide.

http://www.navsource.org/archives/02/cv-32/c06b.jpg

Similar shot, Banshee coming aboard...

http://www.navsource.org/archives/02/cv-32/c04.jpg

En route to the barrier ....

http://www.navsource.org/archives/02/cv-32/c16.jpg

More weathered planking ....

http://www.navsource.org/archives/02/023221.jpg

Hope this helps ...

dl

ps: (OT for HD)

1) HD, you're ok? Heard about the nasty storms that hit Mass ....
2) Check the bottom of this link: http://www.navsource.org/archives/02/32.htm Remember how you wanted to connect with old shipmates? I'll bet emailling either of those two addresses will connect you up with friends or family of some navy vets - if not the vets themselves. Just a thought that came to me when I saw this page.

gradyhappyg
June 2nd, 2011, 08:50
Arrrrgggggg everone says grey but all the color photos look mostly shades of brownish to me. I do however have a new monitor and poor eye sight so that could be it. All I have left to do is putting together the read me and maybe adding one more color(brownish)to go along with the unpainted,medium grey,dark grey and original steel look with cleats and zipping it up. Should be uploaded by this PM.

delta_lima
June 2nd, 2011, 08:57
Arrrrgggggg everone says grey but all the color photos look mostly shades of brownish to me. I do however have a new monitor and poor eye sight so that could be it. All I have left to do is putting together the read me and maybe adding one more color(brownish)to go along with the unpainted,medium grey,dark grey and original steel look with cleats and zipping it up. Should be uploaded by this PM.

Sounds excellent. The issue may also be the "colour" photos may be a bit off given the stage of colour photography development techniques of the period, as well as the aging of the photos. I have colour photos that are thirty years old that have visibly changed - I can only imagine how an image twice that age might have changed. Digitally capturing now only freezes whatever degredation has occurred in the preceding decades.

I'm sure the cleating alone, never mind the colour enhancements - will make this a very welcome download - thanks so much!!!

dl

Helldiver
June 2nd, 2011, 09:35
Color film was a rarity in those days. For one thing it was very expensive. It only could be developed by Eastman Kodak. The dyes that they used were unstable. It wasn't like you could drop it off at the local drug store. Since then color photogrphy has gone through a bunch of changes, all of them better. Believe me, the carrier decks were very grey and not brown.

gradyhappyg
June 2nd, 2011, 10:07
I believe you HD the only WW2 era deck I have actually seen for myself is BB-55 in Wilmington that before the recent repaint/repair and then it looked much like my deck out back weathered sun baked light grey. In any case the textures are uploaded and I included 5 with screenies so folks could decide which one they like the best. Personally I like the faded grey myself.
Thanks again Michael for the great boat and permission to play with the textures.
HappyG.

fliger747
June 2nd, 2011, 11:24
The teak decks of the WWII battleships have weathered to the gray that HD shows. However during the war (The big one...) decks were sometimes painted, deck blue being a typical scheme. Some photos will show this at some times during the operational life show that the paint must have been quite transitory!

T

michael davies
June 2nd, 2011, 14:49
It looks to me that that straight-deck carriers were using wood decks post WWII and into Korea ...

All Essex carriers without exception carried wooden decks from the day they were built to the day they were de comissioned, from WWII to Vietnam. Even the SCB angled deck versions had wooden decks, however, there is always a however isnt there LOL, the SCB conversions were not 'full' wooden deck in the truest sense. To the uninformed eye they appeared not to be wooden, they were wood through out, but high impact areas were coated with a steel sheet, traditionally this was the angled landed area, not all of it but the section around the arresting wires and a little further forward. Other areas coated with steel plate were around the cats on the bow, generally where the wheels went, either side remained wooden and in some cases no steel plate at the bow at all.

Elevator 2 (port midships) was pure steel as was the new enlarged bow center, the pointy enlargement added to enable Crusaders to be struck down, the starboard aft was also steel and in some cases (if my memory serves me correctly) both port and starboard were not solid but a grill/mesh affair to keep weight down. I believe there were other small patches of steel over wood dotted around in high impact areas, one being where the arrestor wire joins tended to thump down when pulled out by landing aircraft.

Wooden decks were common on most large vessels, however the surface area of a BB compared to a CV is vastly different when viewed from an attacking plane, hence the dyes used on carriers to try and make them blend into the background better, most BB and CA/CL were stained during the war but as the threat of aircraft attack decreased and post war it was back to hollystone decks but carriers remained stained if not by color then by aircraft dripping every known substance on the deck and it being mixed in by wheels and vehicles etc.

Have to confess in some of the pictures it looks more brown than grey!, glad I dont so this lark any more LOL, the attention to detail is soooo demanding :).

Kindest

Michael

delta_lima
June 2nd, 2011, 15:50
Thought so, Michael;

In fact, some other older post-war carriers (I'm thinking either Hancock or Orikany) had wood too. I have pictures at home of Crusaders being positioned on decks that I'm pretty sure were wood.

Anyway - can't wait to try these new textures tonight ... :)

dl

delta_lima
June 2nd, 2011, 20:58
OK - did some testing tonight ... and for me, the winner was the medium grey wood. Bravo Grady for the choices - it took a while to decide - dark grey wood was good too! Who knows, I might change it yet ...

My only concern was a funky issue that's best left to pictures rather than words. The weird "circularization" of the timber panel lines, the further away from the sight point, the worse they get.

Does this have to do with some weird mapping issue? I tried changing various graphic settings, and to no avail. Very strange.

thoughts?

michael davies
June 3rd, 2011, 00:01
Thought so, Michael;

In fact, some other older post-war carriers (I'm thinking either Hancock or Orikany) had wood too. I have pictures at home of Crusaders being positioned on decks that I'm pretty sure were wood.

Anyway - can't wait to try these new textures tonight ... :)

dl

Hancock and Oriskany are Essex class carriers :), same hull, only difference is enlarged flight deck with angled section, relocated elevators, enlarged superstructure and bow enclosed (hurricane bow), but fundamentally an Essex carrier under the hood.

Best

Michael

michael davies
June 3rd, 2011, 00:04
OK - did some testing tonight ... and for me, the winner was the medium grey wood. Bravo Grady for the choices - it took a while to decide - dark grey wood was good too! Who knows, I might change it yet ...

My only concern was a funky issue that's best left to pictures rather than words. The weird "circularization" of the timber panel lines, the further away from the sight point, the worse they get.

Does this have to do with some weird mapping issue? I tried changing various graphic settings, and to no avail. Very strange.

thoughts?

Not mapping but graphics card struggling with lots of close lines I suspect, I get it a lot with pictures of locomotives that have close set vents and grills, not really a lot you can do, a fully mapped deck with several 1024x1024 covering would probably help but with the small swatch we have it'll be present for quite a few folks.

Best

Michael

Sieggie
June 3rd, 2011, 06:00
I think it is called a moiré pattern, caused by the difference in frequency of the dots in the picture to the dots in the screen resolution. The dots in the distance are a progressively higher frequency to the close dots and the screen dot frequency is constant so the pattern will occur. Only solution is a video card and monitor with infinite resolution. Time for that neural implant :)

Dave

DarrenL
June 3rd, 2011, 06:19
I believe you HD the only WW2 era deck I have actually seen for myself is BB-55 in Wilmington that before the recent repaint/repair and then it looked much like my deck out back weathered sun baked light grey. In any case the textures are uploaded and I included 5 with screenies so folks could decide which one they like the best. Personally I like the faded grey myself.
Thanks again Michael for the great boat and permission to play with the textures.
HappyG.

Wikipedia has a nice photo of that, would this be correct colouring?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e2/USS_North_Carolina_BB-55-2.jpg

delta_lima
June 3rd, 2011, 07:14
Not mapping but graphics card struggling with lots of close lines I suspect, I get it a lot with pictures of locomotives that have close set vents and grills, not really a lot you can do, a fully mapped deck with several 1024x1024 covering would probably help but with the small swatch we have it'll be present for quite a few folks.

Best

Michael

Thanks MD and Skieggie,

Bummer news - but all technology has limits, and no less so than in this hobby. Well, the net result is still an improvement - certainly at a distance.

Many thanks,

dl

gradyhappyg
June 3rd, 2011, 07:58
Yes a real bummer, sorry some are having issues. I had it but didn't look so distracting on my rig. Let me play around with the textures a little more and see what I can do. Maybe a redesign/recolor of the cleats will help. Or saving in a different format w/mips. Doubt if I can totally remove the wavy lines but perhaps lessen the impact.

gradyhappyg
June 3rd, 2011, 11:21
Here is a quick rework both the cleats and color of the cleats,looked better on my rig see if you have less wavy lines and let me know. If it looks good I can do some color variations and upload these in another pack.

jojohnson9
June 3rd, 2011, 13:07
Here is a quick rework both the cleats and color of the cleats,looked better on my rig see if you have less wavy lines and let me know. If it looks good I can do some color variations and upload these in another pack.

Looks much better...no wavy lines.

delta_lima
June 3rd, 2011, 15:15

10/10 - no curves to be seen. Well done - many thanks!!

dl

michael davies
June 4th, 2011, 02:23
I think it is called a moiré pattern, caused by the difference in frequency of the dots in the picture to the dots in the screen resolution. The dots in the distance are a progressively higher frequency to the close dots and the screen dot frequency is constant so the pattern will occur. Only solution is a video card and monitor with infinite resolution. Time for that neural implant :)

Dave

Thats the word I was looking for LOL, moire, its been a bane for texture artists for years and not just FS, train sim had terrible issues with the track bed stretching out in front of you, in some respects mips are supposed to reduce this by decreasing the closeness of pixels (read less definition) further away, a sort of automatic blurring to prevent moire patterns being seen in the distance.

Best

Michael

michael davies
July 5th, 2011, 04:24
CV-32 model updated, seperated the flight deck from the other decks and adjusted the tiling size to give more accurate deck tie down sizing, collect the new model and revised texture from here http://homepage.ntlworld.com/mickoo/files/CV-32.zip .

Note, I have renamed GradyHappys texture for the deck only, you will need to reapply the original deck texture for all other decks, or simply use the two enclosed.

Have not got a clue how to update the download in the file library, so if anyone wants to oblige, feel free, its only CV-32 at the moment, thats the one that seems to get the most interest.

Best

Michael

bruce448
July 5th, 2011, 04:42
Cheers Michael

stovall
July 5th, 2011, 06:48
Thanks Michael, my new F9F Panther is enjoying your great creation. I among many thank you for your work.

Regards, Tom

delta_lima
July 5th, 2011, 08:10
Awesome Michael .... can't wait to try tonight.

Many kind thanks!

dl