PDA

View Full Version : Well, my copy of IL-s 1946 has arrived, but now I have a couple of questions...

ThinkingManNeil
May 28th, 2011, 11:39
Hi All;

My copy of IL-2 1946 that I purchased off of eBay arrived yesterday and it loaded up just fine on my Windows 7 machine and now I'm trying to re-familiarize myself with the sim after a nearly two year absence. I've also downloaded and added the patches numbering 4.08 through 4.10i and that went smoothly too. But I've noticed a couple of things different from the earlier sims. First, the number of single missions that are available seems greatly reduced on initial load-up. I seem to remember there were missions for Spitfires over Dunkirk, one for Hurricanes in the Battle of France, a Tempest V rocket strike on some German barges, and a few others I can't name offhand. Now all you start out with is an RAF Mustang IV chasing a V-1. Likwise for USAAF birds and others, only a single mission. Same with the Campaign section - I'm sure there were more but now it only offers what I believe to be is the RAF Hurri campaign in the Far East. I'm not complaining, mind you, I'm going to be a downloading fool over the next several weeks; just curious.

Second, has anyone seen the rear view mirror on my Spitfire? I seem to have misplaced it :)

On to the next thing: MODS. I keep seeing references to these crop up, especially when it comes to campaigns and such (also aftermarket aircraft, I assume). I'm interested to learn what they do, where to get them, and what restrictions may or may not apply to their use. Aircraft, sounds, weapons and effects, terrains - I'm interested.

Next, are any of the following aircraft available anywhere: Spitfire I or II (ones with eight Browning .303's for the Battle of Britain, Lancaster bomber (not the ersatz Lib-Lanc, but the actual Avro - my Dad served on them), and anything geared towards the Vietnam conflict esp. the Douglas AD-4/A1-H Skyraider?

I also heard some years back when IL=2 1946 that a complete British terrain/map for a Battle of Britain campaign was available; I've done some looking here and at M4T but nothing stands out (and I'm not referring to the recently released CoD). and is there anything available for Vietnam.

Well, that's all I can think of right now.

Thanks in advance and good hunting,

N.

olaf1924
May 28th, 2011, 12:16
mission4today is where you will find all the sturmovik missions that you can think of. I also just found out that up3.0rc was released and it contains many more aircraft including spitfires and early korean war era jets.

ThinkingManNeil
May 29th, 2011, 02:32
Thanks for that, Olaf. Seems that that's only downloadable through a bit torrent site. I've never used a torrent site and am not familiar with them other than hearing that their safety and security virus and malware-wise can be dubious at best. Be nice if it were available on M4T as a zip file.

N.

stansdds
May 29th, 2011, 03:16
You can add modifications to Il2-1946 and get an English Channel map and a Korean map. Vietnam is being developed as are aircraft suitable for the Vietnam era. UltraPack is the easiest was to add these mods. UltraPack just released version 3.0 of their mod pack, but it is a public beta, so there are some issues to be ironed out.

ThinkingManNeil
May 29th, 2011, 04:02
OK, thanks for that Stansdds. Seeing that Mod 3.0 has been released can I assume there's a Mod 1 and Mod 2 as well? Are these required to be installed prior to adding Mod 3 or would Mods 1 & 2 be integrated into 3?

N.

ThinkingManNeil
May 29th, 2011, 06:12
Found the rear-view mirror toggle!

stansdds
May 30th, 2011, 05:58
OK, thanks for that Stansdds. Seeing that Mod 3.0 has been released can I assume there's a Mod 1 and Mod 2 as well? Are these required to be installed prior to adding Mod 3 or would Mods 1 & 2 be integrated into 3?

N.
No. With UltraPack it's a one-step installation. The current official version is still version 2, version 3 is basically a public beta. The UltraPack team expects to have the final version 3 ready in about four weeks. I don't know if they can meet that time line, there are a lot of bugs being reported. Anyway, with UltraPack if you want the official version right now, download and install version 2. If you want the most recent, but unfinished version, then install version 3. UltraPack has said that it will be an easy update from the beta version 3 to the final version 3, but some of the content of the final version 3 did not get included in the beta. There is no upgrade patch to go from version 2 to version 3 because of changes in the way the mod pack works.

stansdds
May 30th, 2011, 07:01
I see version 2 of the UltraPack has been removed from the website, so right now if you want an easy to install set of mods, it's version 3.0 RC, then apply the patch when it becomes available.

ThinkingManNeil
May 30th, 2011, 09:29
OK, Stansdds, thanks again. Having never used a Torrent site before do you have any advice or recommendations?

N.

stansdds
May 30th, 2011, 10:43
uTorrent worked well for me, I just followed the instructions at UltraPack. It was my first time using a torrent download.

Dimus
May 31st, 2011, 04:27
UP2.01 was working with version 4.09. UP3.0 was made to work with version 4.10.1. No other combinations would work.

Neil, you won't be having any issue with utorrent. Just follow the instructions. It is a 6.2GB FREE download so it would be hard to secure server bandwith for a static download. the torrent method is quite efficient. Install it and you won't be dissapointed. Since you mentioned it, all early maps of the Spitfire are included, even the fixed pitch bladed, straight canopy one. The sounds are also awesome.