PDA

View Full Version : the crumple issue?

Cees Donker
May 26th, 2011, 00:05
Stratobat mentioned the 'crumple issue' in another thread at the paintshop. I think it means that smaller object get distorted during exporting the model. What can be done about this? I work in FSDS but it should affect both Gmax and FSDS.

:salute:

Cees

hairyspin
May 26th, 2011, 12:07
It's where vertices of an object in your model are closer together than the modelling limit for the version of FS you're building for. In FS9 it's 4mm afaik, in CFS3 (which I'm building for) it's 1mm and I'm not sure offhand just how small FSX goes.

If vertices in an object are closer together than the limit, the exporter will weld them together - hence the 'crumple' effect. I think Luka worked out the solution first, but PropTrash has the FSDS solution worked out in detail on Simviation (afaik), while Lionheart has the process for Gmax documented on the FSDeveloper forums.

Cees Donker
May 26th, 2011, 19:31
Thanks hairyspin!

Cees

Dev One
May 26th, 2011, 23:59
I use Middleman for exporting from Gmax to FS9 mdls & noticed that there is a box that can be ticked/unticked on the 2nd tab when setting up parameters for Weld Points. I found that it helps a bit & one can soon recognise (or subsequently modify) the items to stop the welding. One thing that is usually tricky is switch toggles, but if one does not have cylinders with more than one cap segment it does help.
I did read sometime back the method for scaling/rescaling & found it difficult for my poor old brain to comprehend!
Attached is a screenshot of the Middleman page. Hope this helps.
Keith

Cees Donker
May 27th, 2011, 05:24
I'll try it Keith. Thanks.

Cees