PDA

View Full Version : WIP: Convair Tradewind Project Revived

PutPut
May 25th, 2011, 19:59
I started a model of the Convair R3Y Tradewind last year. It seemed to be "snake-bit" from the beginning, I chronicled several of the problems over a few months in this forum. I couldn't get the beaching gear to work correctly so I was going to release it without it. I am not a gauge deisigner so I went looking for a set of engine gauges for a 4 engine turbo-prop. I found exactly what I needed on a freeware release at that time. I emailed the designer requesting permission to use those gauges twice, but never got a response. I got frustrated to the point I shelved the project about Christmas last year.
A couple of months ago I decided to make my own engine gauges using existing XML statements and existing bitmaps modified as necessary. Many thanks to Bob May of PAD which gave me permission to use some of their turboprop gauges. The rest I made myself from modified default XML statements and my own bitmaps. I now have a set of gauges that fill the flight engineer's panel of a 4 engine turboprop.
I then took a new look at the Tradewind. I hadn't looked at it for a long time so "fresh eyes" immediately saw the syntax error I was repeatedly missing in the beaching gear animation before. It now works.
I am cleaning up things and may remap the textures and add specular shine. I hope to release it the middle of June. If not, it will be early fall as my wife and I are taking extended back to back vacations this year.

Best, Paul

ATTACH=CONFIG]38791[/ATTACH]387893879038788

DennyA
May 25th, 2011, 20:16
Awesome news, Paul! I can't wait!

Isn't it funny how stepping back from things can make it easy to find mistakes?

This is why I can never re-read articles I've written. :)

Railrunner130
May 25th, 2011, 22:48
Awesome!! I can't wait to add it to my hanger!