PDA

View Full Version : Need an opinion on the P-38 Lighting

roger-wilco-66
May 24th, 2011, 10:38
I want a P-38 and can't decide between Justflight, Skyunlimited (noticed the sale...) and FSD. Any opinions on the different competitors?

I also saw the fantastic repaints for the FSD Lighting by Jan Kees, makes me really want one of those...

Cheers,
Mark

Ferry_vO
May 24th, 2011, 10:45
The just Flight P-38 is the Aeroplane Heaven model which isn't FsX Native; the Sky Unlimited one is. I have the SU model and I really like it! Don't have the FSD Lightning but it looks good too. The SU one has more variations (Both paint and models).

thefrog
May 24th, 2011, 11:34
I want a P-38 and can't decide between Justflight, Skyunlimited (noticed the sale...) and FSD. Any opinions on the different competitors?

I also saw the fantastic repaints for the FSD Lighting by Jan Kees, makes me really want one of those...

Cheers,
Mark

I have them all and the FSD version has the best vc IMHO. But you can get the free P-38 Lighning demo from Just Flight to help you decide.
Frog

Cleartheprop
May 24th, 2011, 11:36
If that can help, it's been discussed THERE (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?50262-Best-P-38&highlight=mirageiii2009) :ernae:

gatlin7
May 24th, 2011, 11:41
The Sky Unlimited '38 is a better deal (especially on sale) but IMHO the FSD has a better VC and (thanks to Jankees and a few others) many more repaints available. The sounds and FDs are comparable.

Roadburner440
May 24th, 2011, 11:50
After buying all the P-38 models over the years, and then helping make the FSD one I must say I prefer the FSD model. I also do enjoy the Just Flight version as well. Although the Sky Unlimited volumes have nearly every P-38 known to man, but I only own Volume I of the SU birds. It really depends on what you are looking to get out of the package. The FSD one we did both the original avionics, and a newer FAA legal avionics set. So it makes it easier for people who want to casually fly. Just depends on what you are looking to get out of the bird, and how much you are looking to spend. I think FSD's is the most detailed, Just Flight's is the middle of the road, but still looks excellent and it is good on frames, SU's looks good and is a great bang for the buck. I enjoy flying all of them, but then again the P-38 is my favorite WWII aircraft.

whitney17
May 24th, 2011, 12:05
I've had all three of them and the SU P-38 is one of my favorite planes. In fact, besides my Lionheart fleet. it's the plane I fly the most. Some might think the FSD P-38 is "prettier", but I don't think it is as well executed as the SU plane. I had the Just Flight/Aeroplane Heaven P-38 demo and it wasn't up to the other two.

To clean up my hanger, I've deleted the FSD and Just Flight planes and don't fly them anymore.

roger-wilco-66
May 24th, 2011, 12:05
If that can help, it's been discussed THERE (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?50262-Best-P-38&highlight=mirageiii2009) :ernae:

Heck, I thought I knew there was a thread here, but I did not find it!
All I need is a bare to the bone original looking (VC) WW2 P-38, with realistic flight dynamics (hopefully)...
It's FSD then, the VC really matters to me and the repaints for it also.

Thanks for the replies, guys, great help,
Mark

jojohnson9
May 24th, 2011, 12:12
I have had the Sky Unlimited for a few months and it's fine. I finally broke down and bought the FSD. It's VC is better, sharper and the gauges seem to be smoother. The skins are definitely better. That's saying something, since the SU is very good. They both "fly" great.
I've wanted the FSD for some time but couldn't justify buying another P-38. But FSD is having a two-for-one sale. So I sprung for the P-38 and got the Beech Bonanza V35 for free.

whitney17
May 24th, 2011, 13:37
Heck, I thought I knew there was a thread here, but I did not find it!
All I need is a bare to the bone original looking (VC) WW2 P-38, with realistic flight dynamics (hopefully)...
It's FSD then, the VC really matters to me and the repaints for it also.

Thanks for the replies, guys, great help,
Mark

Before you buy, read the AVSIM 2009 review that compares the SU P-38 with the FSD P-38. In my opinion the SU VC has a flat look that

is more original looking than the FSD's shiny look. Also, besides the flaps lever problem, the FSD WWII models, as I remember, don't have an elevator trim wheel, which makes the plane hard to trim out.

Finally, this may not bother you, firing the guns in the FSD is linked to the brakes (.) and can't be changed. This means your toe brakes will fire the guns when they're armed. SU's guns are assigned to the afterburner command, so you can assign them to what ever button you want.

The P-38 is a great plane. Have fun!

P.S. Better frames rate with the Su.

jojohnson9
May 24th, 2011, 16:59
[QUOTE=whitney17;589037] In my opinion the SU VC has a flat look that
is more original looking than the FSD's shiny look.

I've got many WWII airplanes and I looked at all of their VCs after I read your post. I think that your opinion is correct. All of them have a dated, utilitarian look. I must say, I like the shiny FSD VC, but the SU seems more authentic. I'm "flying" both of them, and having a good time.

Cirrus N210MS
May 24th, 2011, 17:57
the sky unlimited one looks best i have it i enjoy it alot i dont think ill get the other one anyways jesse's planes over at sky unlimited are the best frame rate friendly aircraft you can get and still have best outside and inside model anyways his pack comes with more then one version of the p-38 lighting which makes for alot more fun

:salute: and the prices are friendly too

http://i1140.photobucket.com/albums/n579/MikeMannschreck/SUP38.jpg

mal998
May 25th, 2011, 00:03
I like the FSD the best. It's a good model, with a good VC and good sounds, and it flies right.

Also, I believe it's priced to sell.

You won't be disappointed.

Gibbage
May 25th, 2011, 00:16
As the artist on both the FSD and SU P-38, the FSX has the eye candy, and the SU is better frame friendly. Overall, they both look and fly the part. Just decide what is more important too you!

roger-wilco-66
May 25th, 2011, 02:30
I bought the FSD version now - can't wait to get home today.
Good thing is, as mentioned, FSD bundles a second aircraft into the deal, so I get the Beech Bonanza with it! I'm not so into GA aircraft, but the Bonanza is a classic!

Cheers, and thanks for the opinions,
Mark