PDA

View Full Version : Rats! Foiled Again...

n4gix
May 22nd, 2011, 20:14
I got up this morning, grabbed my morning mug of coffee, turned on the office/development computer's monitors and...

...was greeted by a purplish colored image on my main, widescreen 22" monitor. After reading the "mail" and my daily forum diving, I figured I'd head over to CompUSA and pick up a new, maybe even larger monitor.

Then, I punched the wrong button on the side to turn it off, and dang it all, the silly thing started working again...

Here I had my mouth all watered up and drooling with the prospect of window shopping and getting a new toy. :kilroy:

Allen
May 22nd, 2011, 21:09
Better tell the wife/gf that you need to save up for a new monitor as the one you have is on its way out. Than in a month or so make the monitor look purplish so you can get the new one! :wavey:

Meshman
May 23rd, 2011, 05:57
Sounds like what my Samsung 22" monitor did/does. I went to Newegg and got a slightly larger replacement and planned to trash, er... recycle the Samsung. It was collecting dust in the garage when I decided to bring it back inside and box it up. I'll throw it in the U-Haul when I move and take it north with me. It does still work and quite well, IF... I turn it off and then back on. When it finally bites the dust I'll list it on Craigslist or something... :kilroy:

ian elliot
May 23rd, 2011, 09:58
Funnily enough, my old Samsung svncmaster used to do that aswell , just turning it off and back on again used to solve the prob.
cheers ian

n4gix
May 23rd, 2011, 10:09
Monitor is still working fine as of this morning. I found the setup menu and cycled through the presets available, finally settling on "Normal" and left it there.

No wife or GF to interfere with my spending and/or saving habits! :ernae:

It's truly odd how some things seem to "fix themselves." I turned on my 56" projection TV one morning a few years ago to see nothing but a single horizontal band of tearing diagonal lines...

...after trying a few more times, I unplugged it, rolled it into an out-of-the-way place and hooked up the ancient 24" tube in the living room. About eight months later, I'd finally managed to save up enough to go buy a modern wide-screen HD TV. Just before leaving to go shoppping, on a whim I plugged in the projection screen TV...

Bloody hell! The silly thing started working again! So, shopping was cancelled, and I continued to watch the old giant projection screen TV for another six months. I finally "traded" it to my neighbor in exchange for four years of lawn service, and bought a spanking new, 46" HDTV for the living room. At the very least it's something I can actually pack up and move should it ever be necessary! :icon_lol:

TARPSBird
May 23rd, 2011, 11:17
Even though the purple tint is gone now, it was probably not a good sign for the monitor's future long life. My original Toshiba CRT flat-screen died suddenly on a Saturday afternoon, display flickered and I heard a little electric crackle/zap noise and it was RIP. By Monday afternoon I had an almost-new 19" Dell CRT flat-screen that a lady was selling on Craigslist. :)

Willy
May 23rd, 2011, 14:28
My old 17" CRT flat screen did the pop, crackle, let some of the smoke out thing. It started showing a slight curve to the screen. It was still usable even if a bit hard on the eyes, so I ran it like that until my 19" Viewsonic LCD came in.

TARPSBird
May 23rd, 2011, 16:07
Hehe, it's never a good thing when one of those "smoke canisters" opens up! :icon_lol: