PDA

View Full Version : Upcoming update for A2A's Boeing 377 Stratocruiser!?

Tim-HH
May 22nd, 2011, 11:16
Hi,

someone has posted two mysterious videos in the A2A Forum (http://www.a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=25148) ;)

yz9bGVOX22s

ltBCqtVATqU

Greetings
Tim

falcon409
May 22nd, 2011, 11:39
That first series of clips is pretty clever. Very nice sound editing too. . .well done.:salute:

Sayuuk
May 22nd, 2011, 11:57
I think with some few updates the 377 could become a bestseller again!!

I was really happy to see the videos above when they where published! =)

Let's hope for the best =D

Timbohobo
May 22nd, 2011, 16:18
oh goody goody goody goody, please please say they are adding a 'crew' like the B17! I love this aircraft

Scratch
May 22nd, 2011, 16:59
Hee, Hee, Hee..........some new potential screamers.......bring 'em on:jump::ernae:

Phantom88
May 22nd, 2011, 17:18
Great Vid!!! Who is this Mysterious...."SHADOW"?:icon_lol:

Railrunner130
May 23rd, 2011, 02:59
I've been waiting for a sale to buy the 377. Anyone find a good deal on it? Perhaps Memorial Day Weekend will bring a good sale...?

mal998
May 23rd, 2011, 06:33
Excellent vid! Might have to bring my 377 out of retirement. If only I could learn how to keep the engines from smoking.

Roadburner440
May 23rd, 2011, 07:42
Certaintly would be nice to get an update on the Stratocruiser. Since the B-17's release that kind of put the 377 on the back burner for me.. With an interactive crew, and possibly an Accu-sim update this aircraft could once again rise to the top! Interesting advertising though. Can't wait to see what it finally winds up being.

crashaz
May 23rd, 2011, 12:18
Oooo new hardware just in time maybe I need to take a look at ol' 377.:jump:

Ian Warren
May 23rd, 2011, 17:49
The most gorgeous four engined piston ever created for FSX , the whole package with Accusim running would blow the jet jocks away , simply so much fun going back and learn the management , lotta planning but when you get it right , its :salute:

Sayuuk
May 23rd, 2011, 22:23
Actually I'd very much appreciate it if A2A could do an "HD" version, just the VC.

Only new textures, the modelling is fine =P

YoYo
May 23rd, 2011, 23:00
For me, for B377:

- new sound set (inetrior)
- new management of crew (like in B-17G with Accu)
- new part of Accu sim menu

Very good video too :).

Sayuuk
May 23rd, 2011, 23:35
For me, for B377:

- new sound set (inetrior)
- new management of crew (like in B-17G with Accu)
- new part of Accu sim menu

Very good video too :).

Yeah, like a menu - as in the B17 and Spit - where you can exchange everything individually

A little more automation in the crew part (cowl/carb flaps)

But I'd really like to see some of those blurries in the VC gone.....

Externally the 377 is still an excellent model, but the VC could do with an - (I imagine) reasonable effort - manageable update.

But it's still great to see how some companies improve their much older models, even if they have new ones in the pipeline!!!

Cheers,
Stefan

Daube
May 24th, 2011, 01:27
That video made me get the 377 out of the hangar again for a short flight.
But in the end the flight was much longer than expected :P
Took off at 16:40 from TNCM (difficult takeoff with that plane, I have to say :/ ) with full payload and low fuel settings, and flew to Le Lamentin (Martinique island), it took almost two hours, and I landed during night :jump:
Needless to say, the view on the various islands during the evening was absolutely great.

YoYo
May 24th, 2011, 03:52
Externally the 377 is still an excellent model, but the VC could do with an - (I imagine) reasonable effort - manageable update.

Agree. It will be nice if we will see new textures inside of cabin. We will see its planned or not?

Sayuuk
May 24th, 2011, 04:04
Agree. It will be nice if we will see new textures inside of cabin. We will see its planned or not?

I don't know.

Many companies are - understandably - reluctant to invest too much work into old products, especially when they plan to release the updates for free.

I'd pay a small fee (10$?) for an HD update though =P

On the other hand if that requires a considerable amount of work, they might be better off (and we would be) if they developed another big WoS propliner...

Roadburner440
May 24th, 2011, 05:24
I don't know. With the amount of work involved I just have the feeling this will be rolled into the already released package (as an overhaul of the existing product), and rightfully so be a small cost upgrade to current owners. Cause they will have completely overhauled the bird, and what I gather from the video adding some kind of cabin crew/possibly even passenger interaction. Just wonder who the Shadow person is?

Sayuuk
May 24th, 2011, 06:29
I don't know. With the amount of work involved I just have the feeling this will be rolled into the already released package (as an overhaul of the existing product), and rightfully so be a small cost upgrade to current owners. Cause they will have completely overhauled the bird, and what I gather from the video adding some kind of cabin crew/possibly even passenger interaction. Just wonder who the Shadow person is?

I'm not so sure about that...

I mean it's basically bringing the B377's AccuSim to what the version in the B17 offers...

But (depending on what is actually going to change) it will - it being done by A2A - be worth a small price ;-)

Paul K
May 24th, 2011, 08:03
Does anyone know for certain whether an update is coming for the Stratocruiser, or is this all just speculation and wish-listing ?

GypsyBaron
May 24th, 2011, 08:10
Does anyone know for certain whether an update is coming for the Stratocruiser, or is this all just speculation and wish-listing ?

The Shadow knows! :) ( Couldn't resist that! )

Most of you are probably too young to recognize that line from
the old radio program "The Shadow".

Paul

Sayuuk
May 24th, 2011, 08:37

Well, it is only guessing right now.

But the first video shows a stewardess at airstairs at the back of the B377 in an yet unpublished repaint (although I doubt many would fly it in those colors ;-) )

In the second video you can hear all sorts of announcements regarding crew turning off/on switches, much more than there is the Strat right now.

So, I guess it is a fairly reasonable assumption to guess that A2A is working on an update for the 377 (although no one know what they are going to change exactly).

Cheers,
Stefan

hae5904
May 24th, 2011, 08:59
If they not only update but introduce the military C-97 series also....that would be more interesting!

Cheers

Roadburner440
May 24th, 2011, 09:02
Well the airstairs are currently part of the Stratocruisers package. It really depends on how far they take it though.. To upgrade the 377 to the B-17's standard would take quite a bit. Cause we can do now is overhaul the whole engine when it gets worn down. I would like for it to be like the B-17/Spitfire where you can change individual engine parts, and major components in the maintenance hangar. We shall see though. Was looking like the Shadow would be putting up a video every other day going by the Youtube time stamps. So far though nothing on Youtube or on their forum.

Sayuuk
May 24th, 2011, 09:17
If they not only update but introduce the military C-97 series also....that would be more interesting!

Cheers

That's actually a not so unreasonable assumption.

They created a C97 version (of sorts) or are in the process to for the Berlin Airlift Historical Foundation (http://www.spiritoffreedom.org/)

which was widely requested to be released as a commercial addon as well.

My first guess actually was that it would be a C97, but at least in the video there is no radar dome below the flight deck, suggesting that it is "only" a B377

Well the airstairs are currently part of the Stratocruisers package. It really depends on how far they take it though.. To upgrade the 377 to the B-17's standard would take quite a bit. Cause we can do now is overhaul the whole engine when it gets worn down. I would like for it to be like the B-17/Spitfire where you can change individual engine parts, and major components in the maintenance hangar.

Yes, but many of the statistics about distinct engine parts are saved now, otherwise there would be no progressive degradation of the engines... so maybe it is much more an interface question. How much do we allow the pilots to exchange themselves, what if we reset single parameters to factory conditions etc.

We'll see, but I'm sure it's worth it... whatever "it" is =P

HvyEng
May 24th, 2011, 10:55
Howdy,<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
Am not aware of a specific A2A product being developed for us (The Berlin Airlift Historical Foundation). It was more or less wishful thinking on our part for use as crew procedure simulator. A2A did come out and visit the Angel and are all-around awesome folks, but they poured their heart and soul into the 377 version, a 367 would require a significant overhaul. I would assume they are inferring a crew coordination module of some sort, but that is only a guess. Our Chief Pilot and President, Tim Chop has 24,000 (yes that is 24 thousand) hours in recips, and close to 1000 hours on the ASA B377, and says it flies just like the real thing. I have been very (and I do mean VERY) slowly working on an update for the CalClassic (by Greg Pepper and Tom Gibson) 367/377, but with school and real life constantly interfering with my simulating, it is still a long way off. <o:p></o:p>
Here is the freeware status on my long-overdue-for-an-update site, www.milclassic.com (http://www.milclassic.com/)<o:p></o:p>
http://www.milclassic.com/TeamStrat/Status.html<o:p></o:p>
From an FSX point of view, I highly recommend the A2A B377. I have my critiques, but they stem from being intimately familiar with the 367 (C-97G specifically) and in no way detract from the sim. I'm sure many of you guys know how that works too, sometimes you just know too much about an aircraft to ever be completely satisfied simulating it.<o:p></o:p>
The thing that makes the 367/377 so difficult to depict is the "control cabin" layout. There were no less than seven different layouts (4 Civilian, 3 military) and trying to navigate the models is like looking at a DoD spaghetti chart.<o:p></o:p>
I don't have the A2A B-17, so I cant compare, but I would like to see an off switch for some of the more repetitive crew advisories. Once is enough co-rocket, I know the engines are getting hot, the FE has it under control... oh wait, I'm the FE too.<o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
--Dan<o:p></o:p>

Sayuuk
May 24th, 2011, 11:24
Howdy,<!--?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /--><o:p></o:p>
Am not aware of a specific A2A product being developed for us (The Berlin Airlift Historical Foundation). It was more or less wishful thinking on our part for use as crew procedure simulator. A2A did come out and visit the Angel and are all-around awesome folks, but they poured their heart and soul into the 377 version, a 367 would require a significant overhaul. I would assume they are inferring a crew coordination module of some sort, but that is only a guess. Our Chief Pilot and President, Tim Chop has 24,000 (yes that is 24 thousand) hours in recips, and close to 1000 hours on the ASA B377, and says it flies just like the real thing.
--Dan<o:p></o:p>

Hi Dan,

I misunderstood Scott's video then, I thought they were working on some sort of a special version for your training purposes.

But it's great to hear from someone who has to know that it is so realistic indeed =)

Thanks,
Stefan

Roadburner440
May 24th, 2011, 12:04
Shadow just put up another video!! Apparently some kind of failure happened on that flight after it left St. Marteen... Things are getting interesting. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BN6zQMK80u0&feature=player_embedded

Sayuuk
May 24th, 2011, 12:04
Shadow just put up another video!! Apparently some kind of failure happened on that flight after it left St. Marteen... Things are getting interesting. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BN6zQMK80u0&feature=player_embedded

Rapid decompression.... nice!! (in a way ;-) )

Ian Warren
May 24th, 2011, 18:28
Tell ya one thing , what who ever started the rumour , even if there is no update , the SP1 adds metal a special feature , I have not tried this in a Multiplay over a team speak 3 channel simply to find out if we could work as a crew ! Not many New Zealand MPs have a good connection and Team Speak 3 running , this would be worth trying out , I own the NZFF TS3 Channel and a have very good ISP connection .

:wavey:Be bloody worth trying out . . > www.nzff.org (http://www.nzff.org)

See what this Boeing Stratocruiser can do fully crewed

Roadburner440
May 24th, 2011, 18:40
I am not sure if the 377 supports multi-crew capability (it needs to be coded in to the aircraft).. Would certaintly be worth trying out though. Also doubt this is a rumor. Scott or one of them would have squashed it by now if that were the case. They are cruel, and love to torture us before releases. They would not let something like this go on without their knowledge though, but that is just my opinion. :engel016:

Blue
May 24th, 2011, 21:06
Rapid decompression.... nice!! (in a way ;-) )

Not over the South Atlantic it's not. :icon_lol: I am very intrigued by this. The B337 is one of my favorite aircraft.

Sayuuk
May 24th, 2011, 22:45
I am not sure if the 377 supports multi-crew capability (it needs to be coded in to the aircraft).. Would certaintly be worth trying out though. Also doubt this is a rumor. Scott or one of them would have squashed it by now if that were the case. They are cruel, and love to torture us before releases. They would not let something like this go on without their knowledge though, but that is just my opinion. :engel016:

MultiCrew doesn't work and I doubt it will ever work. =(

Most of the AccuSim engine is running outside FSX. FSX can only share default values over MP, so this is basically impossible...

Cheers,
Stefan

TeiscoDelRay
May 25th, 2011, 12:01
Two things kept me from buying this; 3d props like their B-17 has and a crew to take up most of the work load. I didn't know about the cockpit texture being a bit blurry so an update on that would really help also.

Roadburner440
May 25th, 2011, 12:17
Two things kept me from buying this; 3d props like their B-17 has and a crew to take up most of the work load. I didn't know about the cockpit texture being a bit blurry so an update on that would really help also.

The cockpit textures, or any textures on the bird for that matter have been burry for me. So I don't think that is an issue. As far as the 3D props to be honest I never noticed.. In the 377 the props are back from the cockpit, so all you can see is the #1 or #4 engine props from the front if you look back out of the window. After checking though I see your point. Still think overall the bird looks really good, but I will not complain if they upgrade it to the WOP3 standards they have set with the 17 and Spitfire.... I do hope for the multi-crew functionality though. I have almost crashed this beast so many times on landing trying to manage the cowl flaps, and all the other tasks that you must manage on takeoff/landing. Almost all the engine indications are on the engineer panel too, so all you have in the pit are RPM & MP.. So hopefully they do add the B-17 type crew as it is nice to just fly and let my co-pilot worry about the RPM, cowl flaps, and all that stuff.

Tim-HH
June 11th, 2011, 00:19
Oh, this will be great: New project annoucement: Captain of the Ship (http://www.a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=25364) :jump:

RUd2Q1tOzqo

Greetings
Tim

YoYo
June 11th, 2011, 00:53
Very nice and interesting idea of this new Accu sim. Pity only than I see "old" textures inside VC. For me they are a little bit expired.

stansdds
June 11th, 2011, 03:46
That's nice, but did you hear the peeps screaming at the end of the video? That's why I prefer freight. Freight does not scream, it does not complain, it does not write nasty letters to the company just because I like to make hard turns at 45 (maybe a bit more) degrees of banking, pitch the aircraft into steep climbs and sometimes dive for the runway. Yeah, simulating freight hauling is just fine for me. :icon_lol:

Roadburner440
June 11th, 2011, 06:33
In good spirit, Kill Ratio over there on the A2A forums said after hearing one of the preview videos "You know this sounds like one of my normal flights, after awhile you get pretty good at zoning out the screams." :icon_lol: Think the same is going to apply to me. Either way I think the aircraft inside and out still looks great. I just hope the Accu-sim model for the 377's maintenance hangar is updated to something similar to the Spitfire/B-17G. Would be GREAT to have a more in depth engine repair, and airframe parts damage.

Blade124
June 12th, 2011, 14:51
Here is chapter 3 from the Capt of the Ship manual. We should have both full manuals out shortly:
http://www.a2asimulations.com/wingsofsilver/cots/cots_accusim_ch3.pdf

TeiscoDelRay
June 12th, 2011, 15:13
Very nice,,,I am wondering if it will be a three package plane? The plane, accusim, captian package.

Roadburner440
June 12th, 2011, 15:22
Based on the video and documentation it does look to be a third package.. I would not expect this to be a free update as it looks like a lot of work went into this. They made 1300 professional sound recordings, redisigned the engineers panel, and gave it an FE. Not to mention all the stuff we don't know about. I am just curious to see the price point for this compared to other Accu-sim modules. Hopefully it is in the same ball park price wise, but we will see. Either way it will be worth it.

Cag40Navy
June 12th, 2011, 15:33
Thank you Scott! After reading that, im pretty excited about this new addition to the 377.

strykerpsg
June 12th, 2011, 18:35
Wow! Had always hoped they would update the 377. Admittedly haven't flown it very much as it's complexity is a bit overwhelming but would love to get a more immmersive and interactive update. She may get more lovin when this update's released, free or payware won't matter to me. Looking forward to it. Thanks for sharing Chapter 3.

Matt