PDA

View Full Version : CH Eclipse Yoke review

MarkH
May 20th, 2011, 10:22
What's wrong with the CH Eclipse yoke, and how to fix it.

Zf2uheMjgAI

tracyq144
May 21st, 2011, 08:48
Excellent, in-depth review!

edit: Oh, and quite the setup!

TeaSea
May 22nd, 2011, 05:31
I have one of these yokes, and frankly I'm still trying to get it configured correctly.

It was an interesting video, and good review, however I do not consider the movement of the yoke on the Y axis (elevator) to be particularly difficult vis a vis a real aircraft yoke. The Piper Archer I fly requires some serious pushing or pulling if one is making any dramatic control inputs at speed.

Gets easier at lower speeds when landing, which is where you want the finesse.

MarkH
May 22nd, 2011, 07:16
The Piper Archer I fly requires some serious pushing or pulling if one is making any dramatic control inputs at speed.

Gets easier at lower speeds when landing, which is where you want the finesse.

The problem is you can't simulate this with a couple of springs, so you need to choose which is more important.

In principle it would be easy to rig up a dual-mode system that allowed you to switch an extra spring in and out by flipping a lever. I might even have a go at this, depending on what I can find in the Screwfix and Maplin catalogues...

beana51
May 22nd, 2011, 08:43
All real planes and controls,in General aviation are different..from sticks,wheels,and side controls!..for every action ,there is a re-action....I notice when Sim pilots get into a C-172,for flight instruction, ,for instance,they are alarmed at the force needed to pull back...in the flairs ,they are prone to hard ,nose-wheel landings,often causing damage.......one finger controls are not realistic!...BUT that's what we have..So far!....Sill I feel the Weakest link in Sim flying are our flight controls..Maybe big money units exist,but may be far too expensive!!....Then there are the "Gs",but of course!!<label for="rb_iconid_19">http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/icons/icon26.gif</label>

Saitek pro Flight Yoke Review

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XIBpg4v020&feature=related

MarkH
May 22nd, 2011, 11:10
I notice when Sim pilots get into a C-172,for flight instruction, ,for instance,they are alarmed at the force needed to pull back...
You may be right, it's a long time since I flew anything real (and almost 15 years since I flew a C172).

Thanks for posting my other review ;)

beana51
May 22nd, 2011, 12:22
Thank you for a great job here with Yokes info on the Sim....early Pilots had no such problem ,pulling back,for their Horse and buggy world...WHO! meant PULL BACK!.that ment Pulling hard!...same as the Beautiful Flair in flight,....the kids,my grand kids included,did not exert enough PULL!.in the flair.PULL BACK,PULL BACK is a constant command I gave them...they think it,but it do not happen..No such thing as "LAND-O-MATIC"......WHO! NELLI!!! still has meaning in the cockpit!..ask any bird, or watch the concentrated effort of back flapping strength....for touch down!!The stall down of the birds ,is what we try to achieve also,Brakes? yes! the Flaps!Stall down?..that's the Flair......At least to me in Gen. aviation planes!....CHEERS and Again Thanx much!!<label for="rb_iconid_19">http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/icons/icon26.gif</label>

spotlope
May 22nd, 2011, 17:19
All real planes and controls,in General aviation are different..from sticks,wheels,and side controls!..for every action ,there is a re-action....I notice when Sim pilots get into a C-172,for flight instruction, ,for instance,they are alarmed at the force needed to pull back...in the flairs ,they are prone to hard ,nose-wheel landings,often causing damage.......one finger controls are not realistic!...BUT that's what we have..So far!....Sill I feel the Weakest link in Sim flying are our flight controls..Maybe big money units exist,but may be far too expensive!!....Then there are the "Gs",but of course!!<label for="rb_iconid_19">http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/icons/icon26.gif</label>

Saitek pro Flight Yoke Review

I was one of those sim pilots who was surprised at how much oomph it took to work a real 172. What got me more than the yoke back-pressure was how much force it took to kick the rudder about. There are definitely no hydraulics at work there. I remember getting out of the plane after an hour's flight and feeling like I'd run a marathon. Nothing in the sim world prepared me for that.

MarkH
February 6th, 2012, 10:42
I thought I'd post my new video, which is a fairly brief update on my expriences with these two yokes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g34mLpFs3fE&hd=1

TeaSea
February 6th, 2012, 15:34
Your video's are very well done and reasoned out.

I tend to agree with your overall assessment now that I've used the CH Eclipse for a while.

Naismith
February 6th, 2012, 23:16
Your video's are very well done and reasoned out.

I tend to agree with your overall assessment now that I've used the CH Eclipse for a while.

Agreed with all that 'cept my CH yoke is almost 7 years old and works just as well now as the day I got it. Its not the Eclipse but looks pretty similar, has the three levers.