PDA

View Full Version : "The One That's Missing . . "

expat
May 17th, 2011, 04:00
We have a Goose, a Duck, a Widgeon and an Albatross that work (more or less) in FSX, but not this most suave member of the Grumman amphibian family. Would be great to have in either radial or turbine format and and we know the skills are here to do it!

foreigndevil
May 17th, 2011, 06:13
Bill Lyons started making one for FS9 just before he quit creating FS models. I did some test flights with it and it looked very promising. It was incomplete, however (e.g. vc not completely finished).
An FSX one would be great.

OleBoy
May 17th, 2011, 06:41
That said, I wonder if anyone has access to the model files, to where they might be updated and/or completed. I'm going to assume the answer is, or would be, no.

expat
May 17th, 2011, 07:55
That said, I wonder if anyone has access to the model files, to where they might be updated and/or completed. I'm going to assume the answer is, or would be, no.

This has come up before and believe the answer is "no" and legend at least has it he wiped his HDD on his retirement from FS.

His model looks very finished in this screenie (what a shame) (attachment 1).

X-Plane even has a model (attachment 2).

The Mallard done for FS2002 will NOT work in FSX - it does not float and there is no solution to fix this (attachment 3).

Reddog
May 17th, 2011, 13:54
Would love to see Carenado do this one:applause:

Bjoern
May 17th, 2011, 14:28
...we know the skills are here to do it!

Skills are irrelevant, time isn't.

It's the best looking of the Grumman flying boats 'though.

foreigndevil
May 17th, 2011, 23:22
I might still have the files somewhere on an external HD. I'll ask Bill if there's a problem if someone takes a look at it.
BTW, I also made a checklist for this aircraft using the original flying manual for Bill, so, that may come in handy if this aircraft ever gets materialized.

expat
May 18th, 2011, 00:55
I might still have the files somewhere on an external HD. I'll ask Bill if there's a problem if someone takes a look at it.

Superb! Many of us are aware of and sensitive to the fact that Bill made a clean break from all things FS and will respect his wishes to not become involved again or to release any futher proprietary work.The FS community continue to be grateful for and revere his generous past contributions and allowing completion of the Mallard would be hugely appreciated by his many fans.:salute:

Bushpounder
May 18th, 2011, 01:09
Chalks flew the paint off these things down in Miami. I had to always watch for them crossing the cut when I flew sight-seeing trips down the beach. They would come out of nowhere. It was cool to watch them do the water/land/water transition taxiing in. Saw them do that many a time in Bimini. Very cool planes. Be nice to have a good one for FSX.

Don

expat
May 18th, 2011, 02:16
It was cool to watch them do the water/land/water transition taxiing in.

Describes precisley why the Grumman amphibs hold such fascination for me IRL but also FS. Have "rediscovered" the FSX default/OZx Redux Goose and currently attempting to fly the paint off of it in FTX PNW land.

Look at how little water this "boat" draws -you can practically see the weeds and fish on the sandy bottom!

Railrunner130
May 18th, 2011, 02:23
I remember seeing pics of the Bill Lyons airplane and drooling in eager anticipation. It was a major disappointment when he left flightsim and that project died.

As for the Chalks fleet, they're all sitting in mothballs in Mirana, AZ. A very sad sight to see. I saw them back in September. They're sorta hidden away like Evergreen doesn't want them seen.

The Grumman amphibs as a whole need to be done up for FSX. The Goose is well represented. However, it is the exception and not the rule.