PDA

View Full Version : New T-45C Goshawk update

Dino Cattaneo
May 16th, 2011, 23:25
Here are some more pictures of the new Goshawk - it is already flyable and functional, and external and front cockpit models are complete (they just need some minor bugfixes).
I am considering to release a public beta - probably by the end of may.

skyblazer3
May 17th, 2011, 00:05
Bravo

Dave Torkington
May 17th, 2011, 02:40
Excellent work Dino :salute:

Daube
May 17th, 2011, 02:48
That virtual cockpit looks absolutely fantastic ! Excellent job as usual, Dino :applause::ernae:

Hitchhiker
May 17th, 2011, 03:56
Un sacco bello!!

VCN-1
May 17th, 2011, 04:16
Looks fantastic!

VCN-1

GB
May 17th, 2011, 04:30
ETA?

Lenop
May 17th, 2011, 04:48
Amazing! The perfect carrier trainer for the VRS f-18E. And I need one badly for my carrier ops... :)

papab
May 17th, 2011, 05:56
Dino,
As always, a work of perfection! :applause:
Rick

Phantom88
May 17th, 2011, 08:18
That virtual cockpit looks absolutely fantastic ! Excellent job as usual, Dino :applause::ernae:
^^+10000000^^

TARPSBird
May 17th, 2011, 09:01
Outstanding work as usual, Dino! :applause:

Dino Cattaneo
May 18th, 2011, 00:53
Once again, thanks a lot for you appreciation and support!

As soon as I can find the time I'll fix some of the most evident bugs and release a test version.
At present, the package is already much better and accurate than my previous Goshawk - and I think it is already flyable for most users and in most scenarios - although vast majority of the tests I did were just carrier operations... but so far I am happy.

I plan to model the instructor cockpit, too, although it is not a top priority for me - but that is far from being complete and probably will not be included in the initial release....

fxsttcb
May 18th, 2011, 01:42
Wow, Dino! I thought the first one was really good! Thank you. I'll anxiously await the new...Don

italoc
May 18th, 2011, 09:49
Wow, Dino! I thought the first one was really good! Thank you. I'll anxiously await the new...Don

Bravo Dino:applause:,
I am already very happy with the old one :salute:
but, now, very anxious to see the new one :wiggle::wiggle:
Italo

Dino Cattaneo
May 18th, 2011, 23:18
38333 38334 38335

Three hours of (mostly) T-45 flight testing yesterday, in order to nail some of the changes to the flight model I had in mind. Although I think the previous flight model did its job nicely, after some thoughts, work and time spent reading the flight manual, I've modified the T-45 files so that:

- The engine response is slightly quicker. In the previous version I wanted to give the user the "sensation" of a trainer and the fact the T-45C is not an F-16. But, the engine response was probably a little too slow, so some users have complained about excessive difficulties in formation flying.

- Drag vs Mach is now slightly lower below 0.80 Mach, resulting in a faster acceleration and more correct climb speed. Also, top speed is close to the nominal Mach 0.85 in most conditions.

- Extending the speed brakes will have a "nose up" effect. This was perceived as "not realistic" and criticized by many users, and I deleted that effect in the previous versions. But then, the flight manual is very clear on this so the effect is back to stay.

- Extending the flap has a "nose up" effect, too, while extending the gear has now a slight "nose down" effect. Again, this is to attempt to replicate what is reported on the flight manual.

- There is now a slight "nose down" tendency above Mach 0.8, again, as per the manual.

Not many changes, then - but as I said I was quite happy with the previous FM. The new one is slightly harder as the pilot will have to compensate for the configuration changes, but I think it is still an easy plane to fly and land - and should do its job in helping simmers to learn how to land on a carrier.

thetford569
May 19th, 2011, 13:15
38333 38334 38335

Three hours of (mostly) T-45 flight testing yesterday, in order to nail some of the changes to the flight model I had in mind. Although I think the previous flight model did its job nicely, after some thoughts, work and time spent reading the flight manual, I've modified the T-45 files so that:

- The engine response is slightly quicker. In the previous version I wanted to give the user the "sensation" of a trainer and the fact the T-45C is not an F-16. But, the engine response was probably a little too slow, so some users have complained about excessive difficulties in formation flying.

- Drag vs Mach is now slightly lower below 0.80 Mach, resulting in a faster acceleration and more correct climb speed. Also, top speed is close to the nominal Mach 0.85 in most conditions.

- Extending the speed brakes will have a "nose up" effect. This was perceived as "not realistic" and criticized by many users, and I deleted that effect in the previous versions. But then, the flight manual is very clear on this so the effect is back to stay.

- Extending the flap has a "nose up" effect, too, while extending the gear has now a slight "nose down" effect. Again, this is to attempt to replicate what is reported on the flight manual.

- There is now a slight "nose down" tendency above Mach 0.8, again, as per the manual.

Not many changes, then - but as I said I was quite happy with the previous FM. The new one is slightly harder as the pilot will have to compensate for the configuration changes, but I think it is still an easy plane to fly and land - and should do its job in helping simmers to learn how to land on a carrier.

Great job Dino! Your discussion about the flight model got me thinking of something with the old version that I noticed when launching from the carrier. When using the catapult the T-45 was launched and came off the deck at 250kts plus...well above the 200kt. limitation on the landing gear retract/extend. Has this been fixed? I can't imagine the real Goshawk comes off the boat that fast above the airspeed limit for the gear. Maybe it's a problem with FSX itself and not the flight model?

Brandon

sparouty
May 19th, 2011, 13:37
Great job Dino! Your discussion about the flight model got me thinking of something with the old version that I noticed when launching from the carrier. When using the catapult the T-45 was launched and came off the deck at 250kts plus...well above the 200kt. limitation on the landing gear retract/extend. Has this been fixed? I can't imagine the real Goshawk comes off the boat that fast above the airspeed limit for the gear. Maybe it's a problem with FSX itself and not the flight model?

Brandon

Hi!
Unless I missed something, it sounds like an FSX/Acceleration issue: each plane are launched with the same strengh (calibrated for F-18)...
I made a work-around for my Etendard to customize the catapult launch, Dino, if you're interested in I can explain you the way I proceed?

Regards,
Sylvain

Dino Cattaneo
May 19th, 2011, 22:53
So far no changes to the catapult dynamics - since, afaik, in fSX it is set for the Hornet and you cannot change it.

Sylvain, yes please - I'd like to know what your workaround is.
It is not a top-priority issue for me, but if it is not requiring too much work I will implement it.

mjrhealth
May 19th, 2011, 23:29
with the FFouga Zephyr, you use the brake key to release the catapault, which they seems to have set for the zephyr. If you use the normal keys it launches to fast, I wonder if this can be incorporated into the new plane.

And again a big thanks for a wonderful plane

FlameOut
May 20th, 2011, 02:10
Thanks for that little bit about the FFouga Zephyr, mjrhealth. That has always been my take on that sweet little aircraft. Will try this weekend. :salute:

Dave Torkington
May 26th, 2011, 10:31
So far no changes to the catapult dynamics - since, afaik, in fSX it is set for the Hornet and you cannot change it.

Sylvain, yes please - I'd like to know what your workaround is.
It is not a top-priority issue for me, but if it is not requiring too much work I will implement it.

Hi Dino & Sylvain,

Could I make a small request please? If you do collaborate regarding the custom catapult dynamics, is it possible to also include the Etendard LSO callouts in your discussions about the new Goshawk? They just add that very nice extra realism, even with the fine American accent!

Only if possible... :salute:

Thanks and best regards, Dave.

thetford569
May 26th, 2011, 12:43
Hi Dino & Sylvain,

Could I make a small request please? If you do collaborate regarding the custom catapult dynamics, is it possible to also include the Etendard LSO callouts in your discussions about the new Goshawk? They just add that very nice extra realism, even with the fine American accent!

Only if possible... :salute:

Thanks and best regards, Dave.

interesting info on the catapult being calibrated for the F-18. I wasn't aware of that...no wonder I hit 250 kts off the bow with the T-45! Hopefully you can work together and it's easy enough to add what is needed to make the T-45 slower coming off the deck. Since we're using the T-45 to really practice and get familiar with the carrier pattern realistic catapult behavior would be really nice to get you set up for the carrier pattern. If not then I will continue to fly and enjoy this great jet! Thanks for all your hard work Dino!

Brandon

Dino Cattaneo
May 27th, 2011, 01:50
Hi, all

Sylvain was so kind to send me all the information required to add the custom "catapult dynamics" and "LSO callouts" functionality to the Goshawk.
I have two issues in adding them. The first is the lack of time (that is also my fault, I have three FSX project on my drawing board...) and the second, and most important, it is that those features require FSUIPC.dll. I know it is not an issue for visitors of this forum...but I generally prefer not to rely on external modules...

For the moment, I am not including this feature.
Speaking about bad news, most likely, the instructor cockpit will not be included in the first release...

mjrhealth
May 27th, 2011, 02:04
Is ok Dino, be nice to see it later, just be nice to have the new model, we lall appreaciate your work,

Thanks

Dave Torkington
May 27th, 2011, 07:17
Hi, all

Sylvain was so kind to send me all the information required to add the custom "catapult dynamics" and "LSO callouts" functionality to the Goshawk.
I have two issues in adding them. The first is the lack of time (that is also my fault, I have three FSX project on my drawing board...) and the second, and most important, it is that those features require FSUIPC.dll. I know it is not an issue for visitors of this forum...but I generally prefer not to rely on external modules...

For the moment, I am not including this feature.
Speaking about bad news, most likely, the instructor cockpit will not be included in the first release...

No problem Dino, I know these little features would be a 'luxury' so I fully appreciate your points about relying on FSUIPC and the time issue of course.

Thanks for the updates and the work you've put into the new model :salute:

Cheers, Dave.

Dino Cattaneo
May 31st, 2011, 01:48

3D Modeling for Beta test build is complete!

Lenop
May 31st, 2011, 04:17
Looks fantastic, Dino! Can't wait for the release. Thanks for your hard work.

LouP
May 31st, 2011, 19:18
Dino,

Some of those look like freak'n photographs. Very Very nice and thank you for building this. :applause:

LouP :salute:

TARPSBird
June 1st, 2011, 02:15
Some of those look like freak'n photographs.
Was thinkin' the same thing myself. Beautiful work Dino!

wilycoyote4
June 1st, 2011, 09:38
great :applause::applause::applause:

Mithrin
June 2nd, 2011, 04:38
Looking forward to the new release. What a beauty!

letourn
June 6th, 2011, 13:40
Great work cant wait to fly this new release.

Thanks again.

Hitchhiker
June 11th, 2011, 09:38
Hai fatto davvero un bel lavoro Dino, e ho sul mio PC, sembra che giri anche meglio della prima versione! Complimenti!