PDA

View Full Version : A Baby computer found it's way home..

HouseHobbit
May 13th, 2011, 20:27
I am the proud owner (again) of a computer, I built ten 1/2 years ago..
I set up a new computer for a friend, last week..and he returned this to me..

I gave him this baby computer 6-7 years ago when I replaced it with another..

AMD T-bird 750 meg cpu. and 512 meg Pc 133 SD ram..
WD 8 gig hard drive..
64 meg video card
Philips sound card PSC 703
Running on Millienniun OS
One CD burner and one CD player
one floppy disc drive
300 watt power supply
I brought a large case back then for this and motherboard, built it to fly CFS2..

**I have now loaded XP Pro into it, and added a 128 meg video card , and a Audigy LS sound card both from another computer now dead..( the one that replaced it back in the day..LOL..)
Also found a old DVD/cd player and put it in..

If I could find a old 20-30 gig hard drive it would help..
And some more old PC 133 sd ram I might use it for CFS2 again..

Once you load XP into a 8 gig hard drive there isn't a lot of room left for CFS2....

And Yes after ten 1/2 years it still runs fine.. Isn't that wild..

I guess it says something for the Motherboard and AMD cpu..
not to speak of the case and power supply still running along..

When he brought it back two days ago, I had to try it out and everything worked fine..

That is when I dug out all of the spare and old parts and bits I had, and went to work on it..

Now I am the proud owner of Two old computers.. one 3-1/2 year old and a 10-1/2 year old..
I hope they don't get all fussy once they turn into teenagers

And there was MUCH Rejoicing!!!

SpitXIV
May 13th, 2011, 20:41
HouseHobbit,

Have you tried looking for this: 20-30 gig hard drive on ebay? they say you can find
anything on the internet. As for your new kids be gentle with them. You know how fast
they can throw tantrums.

hairyspin
May 14th, 2011, 06:02
...I have now loaded XP Pro into it...

Don't you like Muppet Edition??? :icon_lol:

n4gix
May 14th, 2011, 08:46
Gosh, and I just (finally) got rid of a couple of dozen obsolete IDE hard drives a few months ago...

Would this be at all usefull?

Maxtor 13.6GB UDMA/66 7200RPM 2MB IDE Hard Drive Maxtor 91366U4

If so, it can be your's free of charge.

I also have three complete computers here in various states of disrepair. The only problem is that shipping charges for them would likely be more than they're worth! :mixedsmi:

HouseHobbit
May 14th, 2011, 08:56
Gosh, and I just (finally) got rid of a couple of dozen obsolete IDE hard drives a few months ago...

Would this be at all usefull?

Maxtor 13.6GB UDMA/66 7200RPM 2MB IDE Hard Drive Maxtor 91366U4

If so, it can be your's free of charge.

I also have three complete computers here in various states of disrepair. The only problem is that shipping charges for them would likely be more than they're worth! :mixedsmi:

Yes it would be very helpful..
Thanks for your Kind offer..
I sent a Pm with my address..
I may yet get this Baby into a useful state..
God Bless,
Owen

n4gix
May 14th, 2011, 09:12
I just checked my unused memory stock and unfortunately don't have any PC133 available.

What I have available is:
PC100
PC2700
PC3200

HouseHobbit
May 14th, 2011, 09:21
Bummer, I don't think any of this will work, I am very grateful for you help on this..
Bravo..
Got to love our SOH family..:applause:
The PC 3200 DDR is what my 3-1/2 year old computer uses but I have all she can take in Her
( 2gigs)..
Thanks very much for this offer..
God Bless..

HouseHobbit
May 14th, 2011, 09:50
A Baby shot for all..
This was the first computer I built from the case up..
Nice to have Her back..
Had to set it up on my dinning room table, didn't have room anywhere else..
It is fun to play with Her again..

n4gix
May 16th, 2011, 13:11
I've checked out the Maxtor and it's working just fine. I wasn't able to wipe the drive (it has Win98 installed!) because it's set up as a primary drive and I didn't have another IDE machine running...

...and couldn't get this SATA to IDE adapter working (yet)...

So knowing that I never loaded anything except Win98 and some Soundblaster software on it, I'm leaving it as is. You can simply install WinXP on it yourself...

There's no personal data whatsoever on it currently anyway. I'm off to the postoffice now to get it on the way! :ernae:

HouseHobbit
May 16th, 2011, 13:40
I've checked out the Maxtor and it's working just fine. I wasn't able to wipe the drive (it has Win98 installed!) because it's set up as a primary drive and I didn't have another IDE machine running...

...and couldn't get this SATA to IDE adapter working (yet)...

So knowing that I never loaded anything except Win98 and some Soundblaster software on it, I'm leaving it as is. You can simply install WinXP on it yourself...

There's no personal data whatsoever on it currently anyway. I'm off to the postoffice now to get it on the way! :ernae:

Thank you very much, This is a Great Blessing for me.. :engel016:

there wasn't much chance for me to come up with money needed to find a 20-30 gig hard drive, and your kindness is most welcomed..:applause:

I can format this and set it up for my Baby computer..
Then I will use the 13 gig from you for my CFS2 set up..
That should give me enough room to set up a nice CFS2 sim set up..
I will keep the 8 gig that is in Her as it is( Master) and set this up as a slave..

I am hoping to get some more old PC 133 SD ram for this, God Willing..
She has 4 slots and only two 256 meg sticks in Her right now..

Then I will be ready to wreck CFS2 stuff again..
I like wrecking aircraft..Very Good at it too..:icon_lol:

Thanks to you for all of this..
I am very Grateful for our Brothers and Sisters here at SOH..
You shall be in my Prayers as are all those here in our SOH family..

BRAVO..:salute: :salute: :salute:

n4gix
May 16th, 2011, 13:45
No problem! You should have it in Wednesday's mail. With the "expansion rails" (so it'll fit in a 5.25" drive bay), it was about 1/8" too large to fit in the smallest Priority Mail Flat Rate box...

I think they must have done a lot of research to make sure their boxes are just a tiny bit too small for what folks want to ship. :)

Don't worry about postage; pay it forward!

HouseHobbit
May 16th, 2011, 13:49
I will pass this Great Kindness along, I am humbled by the Kindness many here have shown to me the past year or so..
This is a Great group of Folks here at SOH..
Thanks Very Much..
:salute: :salute: :salute:

Collin
May 16th, 2011, 23:01
I shall interceep enterc grab this parcel and hold it to ransom.....all the mead yer got..:kilroy:

And Hobbit stop sitting on the CD player as it spins we know how you get yer jollies:icon_lol:

take care.

regards Collin:ernae:

OBIO
May 16th, 2011, 23:05
HH

If this had happened a year or so back, I could have hooked you up with tons of PC133 RAM and a number of smaller HDs....20 to 80 gig size. I had a pile of old PC100, PC133 sticks and smaller HDs that I had pulled from various dead systems. I gave all of it to a guy I used to work with who takes older systems and gets them working again for the poor folks in his area. I had a stack of PC100/133 SD ram that was nearly 9 inches tall....I had a LOT of the stuff. And close to 30 smaller HDs.

Too bad my time machine is in the shop for a realignment and a new stereo system.

OBIO

HouseHobbit
May 17th, 2011, 15:33
Bummer, But I tend to be late on all of this as usual..

I am setting up this computer for CFS2
It worked well back in the day for this sim..

I hope to get my hands on some More PC 133 ram, and perhaps a larger HD for it too..
One of our kind souls here is sending me a 13 gig HD for this to get started with..
God Bless Him..
I have the old Girl up and running and are getting ready to start loading CFS2 again for it..
Thanks Tim, for the Kind support you have shown to me..
I look forward to our talks on skype..
Have a great one..
Hobbit

HouseHobbit
May 17th, 2011, 22:18
I shall interceep enterc grab this parcel and hold it to ransom.....all the mead yer got..:kilroy:

And Hobbit stop sitting on the CD player as it spins we know how you get yer jollies:icon_lol:

take care.

regards Collin:ernae:
I really need to unhook the video cam, Collin you said you would not tell!!!:ipepsi2:
Okay I ride my CD player sometimes..
Spins really Cool, can't walk for a bit afterwards but FUN!!

ALL MY MEAD!!! No way, Hey your in the UK where they have some of the Best Mead in the world anyway..:icon_lol:

aeronca1
May 18th, 2011, 08:20
I love reading threads like this. I recently returned from Kandahar, and moved into a new residence. Soooooo much fun finding the old stuff piled in the basement. The wife says I have more fun playing with the old stuff than helping her unpack.... Well Duh!:icon_lol:

I have been playing with 20 year old Macs, and trying to install old software. On one, the install terminates at random times during the install for no reason. The disks copy fine, so it can't be a disk error. There is "plenty" of space on the 100MB (yes, MB, lolol) HD, but still no go. Well, the garage is still full of unopened boxes, so I think I have another week of shirking available to me!

HouseHobbit
May 18th, 2011, 10:49
Welcome back from Kandahar, I hope you will have a Ball unpacking..
And 100 MB WOW, I remember this..LOL..
God Bless Matt..
and BRAVO !!!

HouseHobbit
May 18th, 2011, 11:17
No problem! You should have it in Wednesday's mail. With the "expansion rails" (so it'll fit in a 5.25" drive bay), it was about 1/8" too large to fit in the smallest Priority Mail Flat Rate box...

I think they must have done a lot of research to make sure their boxes are just a tiny bit too small for what folks want to ship. :)

Don't worry about postage; pay it forward!

I have it, THANKS VERY MUCH..
I have formatted the HD and it is working fine..
TOO COOL..
Got to Love Our family here at SOH..
I now have 20+ gig on two HD's for Baby..
Getting ready to start Loading CFS2 into this computer, Now I have some room to do this..
Thanks for this kind act..
I am indebted to you. and your kindness..
BRAVO..
:salute: :salute: :salute: