PDA

View Full Version : Jed Marsh's Skua/Alpha Swordfish Frame Rate Problem

Ian Astill
May 13th, 2011, 08:32
Hi all,

When using these two Aircraft I have real problems with FPS. On Average I get a rate of between 35 and 60 (even with enemies and scenery) as I'm on a reasonable set up. With these aircraft it's always below 10 (on their own) and basically it makes them unflyable

All I need to know is, is this because they are very frame rate heavy (I haven't encountered this problem with any other aircraft) or is there some fix???

Thanks

Ian

Also a little quirk with the Groundcrew Swordfish:

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee243/Euphgit/cosy.jpg

Looks a bit cosy in there! Some Dp editing for me tonight!

Rami
May 13th, 2011, 09:48
Ian,

I know about the Alphasim Swordfish, there's a relatively easy fix for that. This is from the Fleet Air Arm campaign I'm working on...(among many projects!)

NOTE: Make sure you click the following option in the CFS2 advanced display settings, checking the box “T and L” to get the proper framerate performance.

I don't know why that model is so picky, but such is life. By the way...if you care to beta test the missions I have complete...there are modified .dp files for all the Alphasim Swordfish variants so that they have the same weapons loadouts as the older Groundcrew version.

Regarding the Skua, I think the "T and L" thing is fixed by that too, but if not, try deleting the exhaust effects from the .dp file. For any plane, those are mission killers.

Ian Astill
May 13th, 2011, 10:33
hmm. I always have T and L checked anyway

Double checked and it's deffo on. I removed the exhaust and now the Skua is behaving slightly better. The Swordfish is still crawling along

(Edit: Here are my settings. Could be the case that I have committed a faux pas within them!)

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee243/Euphgit/settings1.jpg

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee243/Euphgit/Settings2.jpg

I'd love to test your missions Rami but there's not much point If I can't get the swordfish working!! (It's only the outside view that's a problem obv but I like using it regularly and its really annoying when everything is slowing down). I have the groundcrew plane (which is great, just the alphasim looks extra special)

Thanks for the help anyway

Rami
May 13th, 2011, 11:41
Ian,

Did you try turning some of those settings off? Some video cards are different than others...they both hold up fine for me...

Jagdflieger
May 13th, 2011, 20:33
Try dropping your frame rate setting from 45 to 20 FPS. I don't think the human eye can see much faster than 17 or 18 FPS and I've found 20 to work very well for me. At 20 FPS, CFS 2 is dropping some detail somewhere else in the sim, but I've never noticed where and 20 FPS gives me pretty smooth operation even in scenery or AI dense locations.

Now if we had feline vision, 45 FPS would be the ticket.

fani
May 13th, 2011, 22:16
Try unchecked anti-alias !!!

Ian Astill
May 15th, 2011, 17:34
Well i've tried all of your suggestions, and the Skua is now just about useable (although still considerably worse performing than anything else in my aircraft folder) and I've had considerable improvements with my other aircraft .

The Swordfish is still not working, I put it down to my graphics card being sh*te. It's not much of a problem as the other ones I have are just as good

Thanks for all your help!

Shessi
May 16th, 2011, 11:04
Ian,
What processor and garphics card are you using? Off-loading your processor may well help if you have a slower speed one and you are running a lot of back-ground progs.

Rami,
It looks to me that you're not using AA. You can see the saw-tooth effect on the straight edges of your post pics. The AA in the game is very poor (was designed late 90's after all!), so using your graphics card would give a better look.

If you're happy with the look then no probs, but I think you would be suprised how much better using AA at x4 would look. If you're an ATi/AMD man then use Catalyst to tweak the settings. If an Nvidia then Riva Tuner etc etc will do it.

Jagd,
The magic figure is 25FPS, although some people can sense higher rates and need more FPS. 20 and below may cause people to get eye strain or cause headaches, 25-30 would be ideal. (TV in US NTSC uses 30FPS and in Europe PAL uses 25FPS)

Cheers Shessi