PDA

View Full Version : WiFi stopped working on Windows XP 32bit

Lionheart
May 11th, 2011, 16:54
Hey all,

Anyone know how to restore WiFi on WinXP 32? They had an update which ruins WiFi. I am on direct cable with LAN right now, but my programs that need the internet cannot connect.

I have tried EVERYTHING that I know to do... Reloaded drivers for the WiFi Broadcom board, etc, etc, etc, etc...

Any ideas? Anything I missed?

iMac computer, Intel Core Duo 2.80 GHz
WinXP 32bit

I 'might' have Win XP SP3 on it. From what I am reading all over the web, its a SP3 update.

Bill

TeaSea
May 11th, 2011, 17:20
Lionheart,

The issue in XP is with "windows zero configuration". You will need to ensure that your device and drivers are compatible with that service. Some devices are not, but they may have updated drivers that are.

This problem emerged with Service Pack 2, although some folks didn't report a problem until SP3.

Google windows zero configuration and you will find some sites dedicated to checking this out...some of them might actually be microsoft sites.

stiz
May 12th, 2011, 09:42
agree with TeaSea, the software that came with my card cant pickup my wifi, thankfull it let you choose weather you wanted to use the cards software or windows zero config so it was easy to swap over :)

Lionheart
May 13th, 2011, 13:07
Well, incredibly, I never got it working. I dont know if it was a jamming signal from the neighbor or what. At one point, a service update that came with a new router/modem I purchased yesterday ($150.00) that was a MS update (how do you download it when you are offline?) which erased the WiFi link/system, which I then had to reload into Windows. Why would a WiFi fix delete my WiFi altogether? Curious.

Anyways, the $150.00 new Router/Modem was so slow that I took it back, stayed with my Motorola SBG900, purchased a nice gaming Router to link it too, and went Lan-lines to the PC and Laptop.

Now.. Heres whats wierd. The Laptop (Alienware M9750 running Windows XP 32bit also) has a very nice WiFi system, freaking high performance and never-touch... It was going offline, online, offline, online, every 1 second. I think that was either a microwave or WiFi device nextdoor doing that, like a phone or wireless sound system, etc... This had given me problems in the, but was rare, and now its almost always on.

The wierd part is that it never effects the other members of the family (2 computers, laptops, both WiFi).

Also, my same PC is a iMac Apple computer, and in Apple mode, the issue is also non-existent, which means it MUST be a MS programming issue as both the laptop and PC are running XP.

The other two laptops are XP32 and Win7-64.

I have been trying to get this going since Monday morning... Its now 2PM on Friday and its now all running smoothly, Lan lines, but better then nothing...

It all started because some of my programs couldnt call out from the computer. Lan wasnt accessible to them, like Steam (erased all my games from them because I reloaded it, several times), my new company news letter system, etc... What a mess. But....! While at GeekSquad with the iMac (which it passed and worked wirelessly with their router/modem), I discovered that if you turn off the Wireless (right click on WiFi and disable it), that the programs then use LAN to call out, lolololololololol.... That would have saved me 5 work days, tremendous time, no stress attacks, money, etc, etc, etc....

Live and learn.

Bill