PDA

View Full Version : How do YOU make videos?

Francois
May 11th, 2011, 00:18
Just curious folks. I have started making FSX videos lately and was wondering what tools the 'pros' use? I used to work with Fraps, FSRecorder and MS Movie Studio, and another vid tool I already forgot. Hypercam?

Last week I got me a (trial) copy of Cmtasia Studio and that seems to work pretty well.... and not too COMPLEX for a noob like me.

How do YOU do it ?

wiltzei
May 11th, 2011, 00:37
I've created a few videos, and Iīve been satisfied with the result of Fraps + Sony Vegas combination. I wouldnīt call myself a pro, though.

New versions of FSRecorder seem to have an advanced way of capturing frames, thus making it preferable to Fraps, but it doesnīt currently support recording audio. It doesnīt matter which program you use to capture uncompressed video (in my book).

Choice of editing software(s) is result of GUI and features. I like Vegas as I've accustomed to it along the years. Many recommend Adobe After Effects for fancy image effects, though similar results can be achieved with plug-ins. The applications ought to be 64-bit as you canīt have too much of memory whilst editing.

CodyValkyrie
May 11th, 2011, 01:17
You pretty much have the basics down. I also use FRAPS, FSRecorder (and it's appropriate built in recording software). I have used Camtasia in the past, however I find it's use VERY specific for my productions. I utilize Sony Vegas and Adobe After Effects for editing, however Windows Movie Maker is how I cut my teeth several years ago. I also use very specialized packages/plugins for effects, etc.

Adobe After Effects I would not recommend unless you are going for a VERY polished look. The software is very complicated for beginners, and I would not recommend it without the help of a tutorial or friendly assistance. Adobe however can do things that Vegas is simply not capable of performing, especially when it comes to polish and the presentation of 3D atmospheres, etc. Simply put, there are effects that I can do with AE that I simply can't touch with Vegas... and this is having worked with Vegas since 2006.

For professional recording of FS, there are standards which must be adhered to in my book to provide the best quality. Most of these standards are covered by many of the "procedural" steps for tuning FSX correctly. How I set my hard drives to function for example is very important, especially when swapping large files in editing software, as it can become problematic quickly. Unless you plan on doing videos full time, or at least get into professional or semi-professional filming however, I wouldn't recommend such drastic steps.

If you have more specific questions, I'll do my best to answer them.

Francois
May 11th, 2011, 01:28
Thanks guys. Sony vegas, eh.. I've heard that three times now... :-)

And no, I'll leave the Pro work to the Pros, Cody :icon_lol: But I like using the Youtube channel to do my demos (like the series on Sketchup I am making now), and also for the occasional 'quick' showing of new products.

For really posh commercial advertising videos, I'd still outsource. Don't have the time to learn, let alone the skills ;-)

CodyValkyrie
May 11th, 2011, 02:27
Hey, no worries Francois. I think making videos is a really fun way to bring the community together. I'm always surprised at how many new videographers (or budding ones anyways) I find when perusing FS videos on YouTUbe. It's a truly great hobby, among other things. I highly encourage everyone to try it at least once. The process does much in my opinion for creativity.

For the record, when pitting myself against film industry pros, I consider my work amateurish at best. It's a daily struggle to reinvent my work, and learn fresh new techniques. Every day I learn something new and make steps to ensure that I'm always aiming at what I feel is a moving target.

roger-wilco-66
May 11th, 2011, 03:07
Thanks guys. Sony vegas, eh.. I've heard that three times now... :-)

And no, I'll leave the Pro work to the Pros, Cody :icon_lol: But I like using the Youtube channel to do my demos (like the series on Sketchup I am making now), and also for the occasional 'quick' showing of new products.

For really posh commercial advertising videos, I'd still outsource. Don't have the time to learn, let alone the skills ;-)

Hi Francois,

did I understand right, you make tutorials for Sketchup right now? I want to design a series of FSX objects for the updated FSX Solomon scenario with Sketchup and need to learn the basics about it. I would warmly welcome any insights into Sketchup here. What is the adress of your youtube channel?

Cheers,
Mark

FSN
May 11th, 2011, 03:46
I use FS Recorder, Fraps, Vegas Pro 10, After Effects CS5. I'm just teaching myself After Effects (Video Co-Pilot is a great site to get tutorials)

Cazzie
May 11th, 2011, 03:53
Sony has several Vegas packages Francois, for the beginner to the expert. It depends on the size of movie you wish to make also. the lower end package will only go up to 720 HD, you have to purchase a higher package to do 1020 GD movies.

I agree with wittzel too, use the new FS Recorder to record the flight (make sure in the FS Recorder that Playback setting is unchecked or you will get them in the Playback and video capture). A new version of FRAPS came out about two weeks also, version 3.4.1, go to the Members area if you have payware FRAPS, otherwise download the freeware version.

Caz

Francois
May 11th, 2011, 07:15
Hi Francois,

did I understand right, you make tutorials for Sketchup right now? I want to design a series of FSX objects for the updated FSX Solomon scenario with Sketchup and need to learn the basics about it. I would warmly welcome any insights into Sketchup here. What is the adress of your youtube channel?

Cheers,
Mark

Hi Mark,

'tutorial' is too much I guess. I was scheduled to do a presentation in Germany on how to use Sketchup for models in FSX, for BEGINNERS (which I am too, once again).

Since I cannot attend due to private problems, I decided to record the demo I would have given into videos.
Since I started this, it looked like fun, so I decided to make it an entire series.
But the emphasis is on raising an interest with people who do NOT do scenery design, to get them started.

Of course you're welcome to look at the meager beginnings..... (in German only for now)... and see if anything follows ... LOL!

There is also a good tutorial made by Arno Gerretsen... I'll provide a link.

And I will also make my videos in English later on, and put them all on one of my websites, with an index.

So... my Youtube channel is here: http://www.youtube.com/user/MeribelPilot?feature=mhum

Arno's excellent tutorial is here: http://fsdeveloper.com/wiki/index.php?title=Build_your_house_using_SketchUp

And you're always welcome to e-mail me for more questions: francois at fsaddon dot eu

Francois
May 11th, 2011, 07:17
Thanks Vance and Caz. Yes, I've got the latest versions of FRAPS and FSRecorder installed and working. Will need to compare Vegas with Camtasia. Vegas is cheaper, so that helps, to begin with .... LOL !

Daveroo
May 11th, 2011, 08:23
i only followed about half of this...but do i now understand that FRAPS does NOT record the default engine sounds when when recording straight from FSX?.....i was thinking FRAPS because i want to do just basic inflight VC videos with engine sounds to show col anderson...do i have to have a seperate sound recorder with FRAPS?

wiltzei
May 11th, 2011, 09:13
Fraps records all the sounds as stereo/multichannel. You can also record audio from your microphone at the same time to complement the video you're recording.

CodyValkyrie
May 11th, 2011, 09:32
You may be thinking of the built in capturing tool in FSRecorder, which does NOT record the audio environment.

By the way folks, have I mentioned EZWalk and EZDok? These are IMHO absolutely critical tools if you want to take your videos to the "next step."

Francois
May 11th, 2011, 09:56
I use 'Walk-n-Follow'..... I think that does the same, no?

Francois
May 11th, 2011, 09:58
i only followed about half of this...but do i now understand that FRAPS does NOT record the default engine sounds when when recording straight from FSX?.....i was thinking FRAPS because i want to do just basic inflight VC videos with engine sounds to show col anderson...do i have to have a seperate sound recorder with FRAPS?

Be careful with the word 'videos'. FRAPS and FSRecorder only save the 'situation' of your flight, that can then be shown again within FS.
Neither of them record images (i.e. video) that can be shown outside of FS...... just making sure there is no misunderstanding.

kilo delta
May 11th, 2011, 10:02
I never tried making FS video's...but I've made quite a few home and school movies using Pinnacle Studio (http://www.pinnaclesys.com/PublicSite/uk/Products/Consumer+Products/Home+Video/Studio+Family/Studio+Ultimate+Collection+15.htm) (aka Avid). Pretty simple to use,can handle HD,lots of plugin's and doesn't cost the earth.

Daveroo
May 11th, 2011, 13:07
Be careful with the word 'videos'. FRAPS and FSRecorder only save the 'situation' of your flight, that can then be shown again within FS.
Neither of them record images (i.e. video) that can be shown outside of FS...... just making sure there is no misunderstanding.

yes thank you for that..i want something i can send to the col so he can see them on his pc,,,,or my friends who dont have FSX,,,,so fraps wont work then...

Francois
May 11th, 2011, 13:16
No. But Camtasia Studio for instance has a free 30 day trial and it includes a 'screen video recorder'. It will capture what you see on your monitor and you can then turn it into an .avi or .mp4 file.

Probably Sony has it too, but I just downloaded it, so I don't know yet.

FSN
May 11th, 2011, 13:37
You may be thinking of the built in capturing tool in FSRecorder, which does NOT record the audio environment.

By the way folks, have I mentioned EZWalk and EZDok? These are IMHO absolutely critical tools if you want to take your videos to the "next step."

Good addition, I also use the older EZ Dock with Track IR. Holding the reflective sensor in your hand allows you to move the cam around as if you were holding it. Very fun.

MarkH
May 11th, 2011, 13:51
yes thank you for that..i want something i can send to the col so he can see them on his pc,,,,or my friends who dont have FSX,,,,so fraps wont work then...
Oh look, we're all getting confused here. FRAPS knows nothing about FSX. It captures bona fide video - i.e. raster images at, typically, 30fps and saved in .AVI format. It includes sound and can be edited with any decent video editing program. However, you don't want to send raw FRAPS videos to anyone because they're enormous - the FRAPS codec has to capture in real-time and is optimised for performance, which means it does minimal compression. Your video editor will allow you to output in a more compact form.

For editing, I can vouch for Adobe Premiere Elements 7. Version 2 worked well, and version 3 was great but wouldn't run on Windows XP. Version 4 was buggy as hell and they never bothered to fix it. Versions 5 and 6 didn't exist, and version 7 is stable, more or less even if it looks like an explosion in a Lego factory. It saves automatic backups and has only one major bug, which is more or less predictable once you know what to look for. For me, stability and security of investment are absolute requirements for a video editor, which is why Pinnacle Studio went in the bin the first time it destroyed a week's work without warning or apology.

CodyValkyrie
May 11th, 2011, 13:51
Good addition, I also use the older EZ Dock with Track IR. Holding the reflective sensor in your hand allows you to move the cam around as if you were holding it. Very fun.
Yes, I have done this as well. Not so much anymore sadly, but I do agree this is one way of "getting it done."

Francois, there is a version of FSRecorder available on their forum that indeed does make video renders. It renders frame by frame, so there is no loss in FPS.

Francois
May 11th, 2011, 13:54
Oh look, we're all getting confused here. FRAPS knows nothing about FSX. It captures bona fide video - i.e. raster images at, typically, 30fps and saved in .AVI format. It includes sound and can be edited with any decent video editing program. However, you don't want to send raw FRAPS videos to anyone because they're enormous - the FRAPS codec has to capture in real-time and is optimised for performance, which means it does minimal compression. Your video editor will allow you to output in a more compact form.

For editing, I can vouch for Adobe Premiere Elements 7. Version 2 worked well, and version 3 was great but wouldn't run on Windows XP. Version 4 was buggy as hell and they never bothered to fix it. Versions 5 and 6 didn't exist, and version 7 is stable, more or less even if it looks like an explosion in a Lego factory. It saves automatic backups and has only one major bug, which is more or less predictable once you know what to look for. For me, stability and security of investment are absolute requirements for a video editor, which is why Pinnacle Studio went in the bin the first time it destroyed a week's work without warning or apology.

I stand corrected. Sorry !

Francois
May 11th, 2011, 13:58
Yes, I have done this as well. Not so much anymore sadly, but I do agree this is one way of "getting it done."

Francois, there is a version of FSRecorder available on their forum that indeed does make video renders. It renders frame by frame, so there is no loss in FPS.

Oh - ** sigh ** - more to check out :icon_lol:

So far, I still like Camtasia, but maybe that is because I started making tutotial videos of screen captures. It seems to be very good at that.

I ow looked at Sony Vegas, but it looks a lot more complex already..... and doesn't do screen recording. And I don't own a real digicam. Maybe that's why it is cheaper?

Pinnacle I know from a a friend who's a video-geek.. and that too is more complex than Camtasia I think.

But maybe I just need to start learning more. :running:

CodyValkyrie
May 11th, 2011, 14:24
Quicky stated, Adobe Premier and Adobe After Effects while similar in many ways, including some filters and effects, they are completely different programs made for completely different purposes... they however complement each other.

After Effects does what the name suggests primarily. This program is a professional editing software made for adding quality effects and composition typically needed for specific and often small projects. Premier is tailored more specifically for editing long lengths of video.

My specific combination is Vegas and After Effects (Vegas taking the place of Premier). You can however do a lot with editing via Vegas mind you, and Premier has some great options as well. I recommend all the programs, however I recommend against using After Effects unless you have very specific needs for effects creation.

All three of these pieces of software specialize in specifically the editing of footage.

Camtasia allows for some editing and is a capture software.

FRAPS is a capture only program.

FSRecorder specializes in a in game flight recording, however some alpha versions (available on forum) can indeed render.

Francois
May 11th, 2011, 14:46
MANY THANKS !

Now, after getting some sleep and cleaning the house tomorrow, I'll get at it again....... I've got a nice little plane to capture.

roger-wilco-66
May 11th, 2011, 22:02
Hi Mark,

'tutorial' is too much I guess. I was scheduled to do a presentation in Germany on how to use Sketchup for models in FSX, for BEGINNERS (which I am too, once again).

[...]

Thanks Francois, great information. That should put me on the right track! And the tutorials are even in German :-)

Best,
Mark

Francois
May 11th, 2011, 23:22
And the tutorials are even in German :-)

Well..... sort of...... :icon_lol::icon_lol:

TuFun
May 12th, 2011, 16:47
I'm barely scratching the surface of video recording, and watching all those youtube vids of FSX got me started recording my flights.

I'm using Cyberlink PowerDirector 9 for editing, fraps for recording, FS Recorder for camera postions on ground, and EZDok for camera movements around the aircraft.

Still using a fraction of what this stuff does, but it's a lot of fun producing videos!

Just started using wave editor for enhance sounds for my videos. More stuff to learn.