PDA

View Full Version : Suggesting a hole.......

Cees Donker
May 9th, 2011, 12:43
I tried to visually suggest a hole but wasn't satisfied with the result. It must look like you would have used a boolean operation to make a hole.....

any suggestions?

Cees

gaucho_59
May 9th, 2011, 18:41
I tried to visually suggest a hole but wasn't satisfied with the result. It must look like you would have used a boolean operation to make a hole.....

any suggestions?

Cees
Can you be more explicit as to what this hole is or represents...and where does it go?
Like... a fuselage hole used to house the pins on a jack to raise the tail of a tail dragger...
a hole in fabric on doped fabric finishes... a hand hold (see through hole) on fabric wings ... I think I could help... but then again... who knows what you mean aby a hole...lol

Cees Donker
May 9th, 2011, 22:43
Well, this hole!

:icon_lol:

Cees

Stratobat
May 9th, 2011, 23:30
Hey Cees,

Are you looking for something like this?

Regards,
Stratobat

Cees Donker
May 10th, 2011, 00:47
Perhaps without the three lines and the reflection in the middle? That lighter round suggests the hole in this case. I'll try it! Thanks!

:salute:

Cees

Stratobat
May 10th, 2011, 01:03
Hey Cees,

I added the three lines in to represent the metal spokes of the wheel. I wasn't sure about the reflection, myself, but maybe another idea would be to use a zinc chromate type of colour for inside the hole, then with the metal spokes above that on another layer, followed by a dark ring to denote depth on the inside and a light one on the outside to highlight the outer edge of the hole?

Regards,
Stratobat

Cees Donker
May 10th, 2011, 01:23
I have the idea that a mere lighter edge will do the trick! Great idea to add the spokes!

Thanks!

Cees

Stratobat
May 10th, 2011, 01:35
Hey Cees,

Here's a visual of the idea above :wavey:

Regards,
Stratobat

Cees Donker
May 10th, 2011, 03:12
Looks like a hole alright!

:applause:

Cees

Stratobat
May 10th, 2011, 10:18
Hey Cees,

Here's what I've come up with.

Edit: Added second image - Tidied up the shadow in the hole, added noise and included bolts as per Gaucho's post below.

Regards,
Stratobat

gaucho_59
May 10th, 2011, 10:29
Well, this hole!

:icon_lol:

Cees

Here it is dude: It was just done on the spurr of the moment so bear with me

A. Select a color background the visualize your work.
B. New layer to work on.
Then,
1. Use a circle selection, invert selection and with an airbrush stroke slightly larger than the circle... "puff " white slightly outside the circle rim.
2. Fill the inside of the circle (reverting to normal selection inside it) with black or a suitable color as required by the skin of the model.
3. Inside the circle place a very slight white semielliptical edging on it lower canthus.
4. Now take the large "hole" and reduce it by whatever percentage [in this case I did 40% of the original hole] is required to bring it to the scale shown in a picture or polygon model, etc.
and voila' you got a reasonably realistic hole in 5 easy steps..
Happy flying!!

gaucho_59
May 10th, 2011, 10:35

Here it is dude: It was just done on the spurr of the moment so bear with me

A. Select a color background so you can visualize your work as you do it.
B. Start a new layer to work on.
Then,
1. Using a circle selection, invert the selection and with an airbrush stroke slightly larger than the circle... "puff " white slightly outside the circle rim.
2. Fill the inside of the circle (reverting to normal selection inside it) with black or a suitable color as required by the skin of the model.
3. Inside the circle place a very slight white semielliptical edging on it lower canthus so as to give it some depth and perspective.
4. Now take the large "hole" and reduce it by whatever percentage [in this case I did 40% of the original hole] is required to bring it to the scale shown in a picture or polygon model, etc.
and voila' you got a reasonably realistic hole in 5 easy steps..
{I am sorry about the first batched tutorial... I cannot write on the fly... lol}
Glad to help you whenever you need it... don't hesitate to ask

Happy flying!!

Always here for you!

gaucho_59
May 10th, 2011, 10:39
Always here for you!
Excellent idea to show the bicycle style spokes through the hole Stratobat!!!
I will keep it in mind if I ever need to do a hole like this...

Cees Donker
May 10th, 2011, 11:16
Great little tutorial Carlos!

Thanks!

Cees

Stratobat
May 10th, 2011, 11:33

Thank you, Gaucho. I'm glad you like it :wavey:

Regards,
Stratobat

Cees Donker
May 10th, 2011, 12:19
Hey Cees,

Here's what I've come up with.

Edit: Added second image - Tidied up the shadow in the hole, added noise and included bolts as per Gaucho's post below.

Regards,
Stratobat

I'm learning a lot today! Thanks SB!

Cees

OleBoy
May 10th, 2011, 14:02
Interesting topic!

Also, the specular can be adjusted for all the areas you want to highlight, to bring out more depth from the angles of light.

Cees Donker
May 11th, 2011, 11:44
I will keep it in mind if I ever need to do a hole like this...
Not only through the hole, he let's the spokes shine through the canvas too! Simply brilliant! The two of you have lot's of techniques at your diposal! Chapeau gentlemen!

Very much appreciated!

:applause::applause::applause:

Cees

Stratobat
May 12th, 2011, 04:43
Hey Cees,

Not only through the hole, he let's the spokes shine through the canvas too! Simply brilliant!

Thank you for the compliments... You can also go one step further and add a canvas bitmap just above the base colour layer and set it to 'Multiply' with roughly 40% opacity. If your base colour is light the canvas will be slightly visible but if you're using a dark colour then I wouldn't bother.

You can also use a brush and make a couple of random white dabs around the canvas area and then use 'Motion Blur' set to 'Radial' to get a nice random streaking look as well (See Attachment). Opacity at around 70% should be enough but you could go lighter.

Regards,
Stratobat

Cees Donker
May 13th, 2011, 08:36
Stratobat,

Do you work with PSP or Photoshop?

:salute:

Cees

Stratobat
May 13th, 2011, 09:56
Hey Cees,

Do you work with PSP or Photoshop?