PDA

View Full Version : Details Software Producers Don't Provide

TeaSea
May 8th, 2011, 05:49
So I made an error in my 2009 taxes and I have to file an amended return (completely my oversight--no disagreement with the IRS's conclusions).

No big deal, just import the '09 file, make the adjustments, attach the check (you knew it wouldn't be in my favor) and I'm done.

Except......my tax software will not copy files back to USB based media (external HDD's, memory sticks etc) without file corruption. So, one cannot import the file back into the software.

Don't you think that would have been a nice little tidbit to know?

I do have the PDF's to go by, and of course I have a hard copy, but essentially I have to re-do the complete package.....

My irritation knows no bounds.

This is Turbo Tax, so all you users of this product beware....you must back up with a CD, or on line. You cannot use any other media.

gigabyte
May 8th, 2011, 06:39
Interesting tidbit, I never would have thought, I have used Quick Tax for years which is now TurboTax so I suspect it would be the same for me. I have always kept the original files on my hard drive and my main backup is to a separate internal hard drive so I hope I don't have a similar problem if I need to revise a return.

n4gix
May 8th, 2011, 07:11
I've used TaxAct for the past dozen years myself. If I ever needed to revise any return it's simply a matter of loading the backup file into the current year's program...

...as TaxAct will use whatever tables were in effect for that year's return automatically.

TeaSea
May 8th, 2011, 16:20
Up until this year, I never had an issue with Turbo Tax either.

Now that I know that this is a problem, there's obviously an easy work around, but it would have been handy to know that earlier.

In any case, problem solved. I was able to do the amended return without too much difficulty, however it was certainly made more complicated by not being able to import.