PDA

View Full Version : Using the internet to torment my dog

OBIO
May 7th, 2011, 21:52
Earlier today, Deb and I were doing an internet search trying to identify a new bird that has been hanging around our feeders.....turns out it is a White-Crowned Sparrow. On one of the site we were looking at, they had short recordings of various bird calls/songs. I started playing them, and our dog Brutus hopped up in the barrel-backed chair in front of the window, stretched his little neck out and kept tilting his head one way and the other trying to figure out where the sound was coming from and what the heck the sound was. Deb and I were laughing so hard! We had to stop before Brutus twisted his little head plum off his neck.

Who says the internet doesn't have any real use?

OBIO

Tako_Kichi
May 7th, 2011, 22:10
Too funny OBIO.

We have an English Springer Spaniel who on the whole is pretty good and well behaved (until he gets a wild hair and starts butt tucking all over the house). However he does have one special trait that can be triggered by significant sounds.

From the time he was a small pup he has howled at fire truck sirens and this is a full blown howl with the addition of a yodel at the end. He rarely does it to ambulance or police cars sirens but something in the pitch of a fire truck siren fires him up every time. Now I have heard many dogs howl but never heard one with a howl and yodel before.

It's absolutely hilarious to listen to and we have been known to search 'you tube' for fire truck videos just so that he will start 'singing'.

Don't ya just love the internet!

demorier
May 8th, 2011, 00:40
A friend of mine has a similar thing going Obio. He has a Siberian huskey that just drives itself crazy trying to find a hidden chicken. We just play a chicken clucking sound through the computer speakers...hilarious to watch.

Railrunner130
May 8th, 2011, 07:53
My dog (a Beagle) was laying on the bed very casually one morning. That is, until I started playing Youtube videos of Beagles barking. He went nuts.

Daveroo
May 8th, 2011, 10:03
i know i should just keep this tidbit to myself...but me being me..i cant....

sirens are made to have differant "sounds" was going to say tones...but im not sure thats right...but here in auburn ca,,,i can tell you if its a Calfire,county or city engine,each uses a differant tone,,errr sound...its not the manufacturer...and i can tell you if its an ambulance ( only one AMR here),CHP,SO..police like i said fire,,,and withing the auburn fire department...i used to be able to tell you individual engines just by the siren sound as it came....proved usefull on severall occations during wildfires....but i could tell the chief or capt...engine 1282 is come up linclon way and 1274 is coming up nevada street...and he could then tell them what hydrants to hit without asking them their locations...i allready knew....guy named pete and i were the best at it..but we taught others too

Tako_Kichi
May 8th, 2011, 11:31
I fully understand where you are coming from Daveroo. Several years ago we used to live in an apartment at our local volunteer fire department's main firehall. My wife was one of two 911 dispatchers on site and she used to work 24 hour shifts (24 on, 24 off...the other dispatcher worked the opposite shifts) although she was only really on duty if and when the phone rang for a call but she had to be on the premises for 24 hours on her shift (the 911 line rang in our apartment as well as in the firehall itself).

Anyway, I noticed at that time that each of the trucks had their own distinctive sound regardless of the brand of siren or if it was an air type or an electronic type.

aeromed202
May 8th, 2011, 18:13
I sometimes thought that services "picked" their sounds. But since talking with one the guys that does PD conversions and marked squads turns out they just go pretty much with cheapest. Unless it's really weird.

And Obio, that is part of why we have pets. I hang a birdseed sock right outside a window just to watch the cats get whiplash. And that stream of the Decorah eagles sends them in circles to see the source of those dinner bell chirps.