PDA

View Full Version : Amateur radio exam

stormtrooper271
May 6th, 2011, 19:11
I've been studying for two weeks to get my amateur radio license, and tomorrow morning I will be taking the exam. I can't wait!

Is there anything that I need to watch out for?

Tako_Kichi
May 6th, 2011, 21:25
I can't help you much with the exam as I am guessing you are in a different country. Regardless I wish you well with it and it's good to see people are still interested in joining the hobby.

73 de VE3YET (formerly G1YET)

Jagdflieger
May 7th, 2011, 06:29
_ _ .
_ _ _
_ _ _
_ . .

. _ . .
. . _
_ . _ .
_ . _

I don't know if knowledge of Morse Code is still required, but either way, good luck!

My father was a ham operator for years. He had QSL cards from all over the world including the South Pole and the original Queen Elizibeth. I used to use the old MARS radio net when deployed and it depended hugely on ham operators to patch phone calls for servicemen through to their homes. My Dad supported that during the Vietnam War and I actually talked to him from Vietnam through the system.

n4gix
May 7th, 2011, 07:06
Well, I hope you did well on the exam! I sold my HF equipment about six years ago because of heavy QRM around my house. No matter how high I put the antenna(s), I still got noise from surrounding power lines...

...it was annoying as could be to get a solid 7 report from a station in SA, but could barely hear the report! :redface:

These days I operate only on 2m, 6m, and 10m phone.

73's de N4GIX (General)

myles
May 7th, 2011, 07:18
I guess you're going for your Techician Licence, which has no Morse Code requirement.

As your questions arre multiple choice, take your time to READ the question and be sure you understand what it is asking. It's all too easy to misread a question and give the correct answer to the question you thought had been asked rather than the question that was actually asked! Remember that one of the choices is usually pretty daft and the others are more plausible. Where their are calculations involoved, make sure you get your orders of magnitude right. Don't mix up your kilos, megas and gigas. Answer every question. If you don't know the answer to one, move on and come back to it later - you should have time. If you really don't know the answer, you have a 25 per cent chance if you guess! Don't rely on that, however!

You will be fine and you can post your brand shiny new callsign here when you get it :mixedsmi:

Good luck (although I'm sure you don't really need it)

Myles
GI0VTS

frankwi
May 7th, 2011, 07:41
I see you are near Dayton. Watch out for Hobbits, they have been spotted in that area !

I was born in Dayton and lived in Fairborn for the first 10 years of my life. Haven't been back in 35 years.

I studied for a couple months to get my Advanced Class license and only got about half way through the study guide. There was a Hamfest locally so I just went in and took the exam, thinking that if I failed, I would at least know where my weak areas were. Much to my suprise, I actually passed !

Good luck on your test and maybe we can chat on air. I work the digital modes on 20 meters.

Frank - KG5WR - Texas

stormtrooper271
May 7th, 2011, 09:11
Just got back from taking the test and I passed!

Now I just have to wait for my call sign.

Daveroo
May 7th, 2011, 09:21
i took the no code tech test three times and failed all three....the reason? i could never get a grasp on the atmospher questions...i dont know why i couldnt..but i just couldnt...i still have a power supply and a good radio..homemade antena...may try again some day since im stuck at home all the time...but i dont know why i couldnt figure out the atmosphiric questions.....

and gonrats to you for getting your lic.....now ya need to volunteer with your local county or state SAR COMM units...put that lic to good use....

here in california,the "HAM's" can volunteer to run some of the calfire and USFS fire lookouts....thats why i wanted my lic,,,wouldnt except the fact i was a firefighter for ten years and a capt for 6 of them...i know my radio well....i even spent time in dispatch...but i had to have a HAM lic to be in a tower....go figure

frankwi
May 7th, 2011, 18:31
Congratulations !!! Feels good, doesn't it ?

HouseHobbit
May 7th, 2011, 18:40
I see you are near Dayton. Watch out for Hobbits, they have been spotted in that area !

I was born in Dayton and lived in Fairborn for the first 10 years of my life. Haven't been back in 35 years.

I studied for a couple months to get my Advanced Class license and only got about half way through the study guide. There was a Hamfest locally so I just went in and took the exam, thinking that if I failed, I would at least know where my weak areas were. Much to my suprise, I actually passed !

Good luck on your test and maybe we can chat on air. I work the digital modes on 20 meters.

Frank - KG5WR - Texas

Bravo Great Job!! Glad you passed it..

Rats!!! spotted again :icon_eek:

Off to Hide..

On goes the Ring!!
:pop4:

stormtrooper271
May 10th, 2011, 12:09
I got my call sign today, it is KD8QDV

HouseHobbit
May 10th, 2011, 21:07
Too Cool.. :salute: :applause: :salute:

Never had a call sign, had some "Names" in my life..:icon_lol:
Most can't be repeated here..:icon_eek:

n4gix
May 11th, 2011, 08:26
I got my call sign today, it is KD8QDV

Welcome to the fraternity!

73's de N4GIX

Jagdflieger
May 11th, 2011, 12:56
Outstanding Kilo Delta eight Quibec Delta Victor!

Jagdflieger out.