PDA

View Full Version : How do I get DirectX to work with my computer?

Walter
May 5th, 2011, 11:26
Hello.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
I have been having trouble getting DirectX to work with my computer. I checked the box on the settings section that says, "Preview DirectX." When I try to fly a plane, the screen shows up black and I can't see anything. If I right-click, I will see the menu, but it won't go away after clicking on anything. What do I do?
<o:p></o:p>
I have Windows Vista, and my graphics card is a mobile Intel r 965 express chipset family driver. It has a Intel Core 2 Duo processor T5750 and up to 358MB Mobile Intel Graphic Media Accelerator X3100.
<o:p></o:p>
I have an Acer Aspire 6920 Laptop. Please help! I am not computer savvy.
Walter

mjrhealth
May 5th, 2011, 11:47
DX10 preview is broken of FSX forget it, Its more trouble then its worth. It was only an eperiment, it can show benifets in frame rates but a lot off addons do not work with it s you can see.

Walter
May 5th, 2011, 11:55
Okay, that's good to know.

Does that mean that DirectX is a lost cause on my computer? I can't buy a new graphics card from nvidia or anything like that.

Walter

OleBoy
May 5th, 2011, 12:50
Does that mean that DirectX is a lost cause on my computer? I can't buy a new graphics card from nvidia or anything like that.

Walter

No sir. DirectX is very much needed for anything (most any) graphics related. Games, flight sim, etc. Download the latest here, and you're good to go! http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=2da43d38-db71-4c1b-bc6a-9b6652cd92a3&displaylang=en

kilo delta
May 5th, 2011, 14:49
The Intel Graphic Media Accelerator X3100 is an integrated onboard chip in your laptop. While it may be DX10 capable,it probably isn't up to the job of running FSX.

Stefano Zibell
May 5th, 2011, 15:19
You'll do considerably fine on FS9 though.

Walter
May 5th, 2011, 16:08
Ok. Does that mean that FSX won't run DirectX or does that mean that I just missed something? Is there a certain setting option that I missed?

Thank you all for the help,

Walter

N2056
May 5th, 2011, 16:23
That box is actually to preview directx 10 features. As was stated earlier this was a MS experiment that really didn't work out well. Based on the specs of your laptop I would leave that preview turned off. You already know it doesn't work, and I'm afraid on that machine it never will. You do have directx 9, and it's all you really need. :salute:

Walter
May 5th, 2011, 16:43
Oh, ok. I get it now.

Thank you all so very much for all of the assistance provided. :mixedsmi:

Walter

mjrhealth
May 6th, 2011, 01:15
xp used dx 9, vista dx 10 and win 7 supposedly dx 11. FSx uses dx9 and dx10 preview or test. win 7usually has all the dx versions loaded. But its good to update.

kilo delta
May 6th, 2011, 01:34
Bear in mind the FSX is a DX9 game/sim (with elements of DX10 included). Even if you've a DX11 capable card running under Win7, it'll still only work under DX9/10.
It's generally recommended to use an independent GFX card in order to achieve decent gameplay, though onboard GFX may be possible if you are frugal with the sliders.