PDA

View Full Version : Au revoir,Helldiver

Helldiver
May 4th, 2011, 10:47
After some thought, I figure my time at Sim Outhouse over. While I enjoyed the many friends I’ve made on the forum, all good things must end.
They’re are too many young kids that read a book somewhere and they’re the expert. Let them have their version of what went on during WWII.
Plus all this Facebook and Twitter stuff has me confused. I really miss the old SOH. It wasn't so damn complicated.
I wish everyone the best of luck but it’s overdue that I hung up my hat.
Helldiver

Willy
May 4th, 2011, 10:55
We'll miss you and best of luck HD. It's a shame we'll never settle the Dauntless-Helldiver argument :d.

Just wanted to add that all my career, I heard tell of how they did things in the "old Navy". Thanks for the insight into Naval Aviation in the 40s.

N2056
May 4th, 2011, 10:55
While I certainly understand and respect your decision I must say that I wish you would reconsider. You bring such an incredible amount of real-world experience and knowledge of WW2 era aircraft to the forum that if you leave I for one will miss you a lot. :salute:

Roger
May 4th, 2011, 10:59
Take a little time out Bob. Sometimes that's all what's needed.:ernae:

Warrant
May 4th, 2011, 11:11
While I certainly understand and respect your decision I must say that I wish you would reconsider. You bring such an incredible amount of real-world experience and knowledge of WW2 era aircraft to the forum that if you leave I for one will miss you a lot. :salute:

2nd that! Your "hands on" expertise regarding WW2 is unique. Something that will become ever more scarce. Though i can totally understand your decision, i hope you will take a peek every now and then. For us (the SOH community) to see if you are OK, and for you to still contribute your ever appreciated knowledge about WW2 and more.

All the best!

falcon409
May 4th, 2011, 11:16
. . . . . . .They’re are too many young kids that read a book somewhere and they’re the expert. Let them have their version of what went on during WWII. . . . . .
Helldiver, there'll always be somebody who thinks they know more than anybody else, but there's no substitute for having "been there, done that". Your experience is always an asset here.

. . . . .Plus all this Facebook and Twitter stuff has me confused. . . . .
Yea, it can be, but there's a solution to that. . . .ignore it, lol. Roger's correct. . .just take some time off and then see how you feel.

strykerpsg
May 4th, 2011, 11:34
HD, all the best! While I may have helped stoke your reason for wanting to leave, will say I was hoping you were going to re-consider your earlier statement and finish that thread on it's original honorable note. I too have had the displeasure of sparring with armchair generals regarding the tracked vs. wheeled debate, the pro's and con's of the choice of the Stryker vehicle over another design, etc. Most of those conversations were even with people that had never even served, just manipulated a slide rule. If they were professional Warriors, I always considered their opinions as that, their opinions and tried to find a common middle ground to agree upon.

Anyway, as has been mentioned throughout this thread and others, it's the real world experience and knowledge our veterans bring to this hobby and life et large. I will always consider any person that has worn a uniform of any era to be not only honorable, but a huge contributor to our lives. Hence my defense of the F-4 pilots and what they meant to me as a child growing up. Thank you for your service and please consider the requests of your peers and friends to stay the course.

Matt

stansdds
May 4th, 2011, 12:43
Helldiver, I know how you feel. I've been in that spot too, where you have intimate knowledge of a subject, yet those who have never actually seen the aircraft in question claim to be the ultimate knowledge in the universe. You will never win against them. I have learned to offer advice, but if that advice is not welcomed, then I just shut up, sit back, and wait. Then, I get a good laugh when others, who do have a knowledge of the subject, start calling out the mistakes in the finished product.

As for Facebook and Twitter, I do have a Facebook account, which I access sporadically, and I have never Twittered and don't know how. Don't really plan to learn either as I'm sure it would require buying a new cell phone with lots of buttons and features that I won't understand and really don't want to take the time to learn.

JimC1702
May 4th, 2011, 12:48
Really hate to see you go Bob. Change seems inevitable and not usually for the better. I hope after a short break you'll be back among us again.

Jim

N2056
May 4th, 2011, 12:54
I can personally state that I have totally ignored both facebook and twitter, and have suffered absolutely no ill effects whatsoever! :wiggle:

mal998
May 4th, 2011, 13:01
HD,
No need to leave permanently...maybe just some time away will help to nenew your interest. What really is important for me is stopping by every so often, getting some good updates on what's going on in the hobby, and having a connection with other people who have the same interests as me. As for the so-called experts (me included), do as many folks do...ignore them (as I sometimes ignore myself when I take me too seriously).

As for twitter and all the rest of that jazz... I ignore it all. I have no interest in social media and never give it a second thought. Flight Sim websites are the only social media I need.

Anyway, just some things to think about.

mal

huub vink
May 4th, 2011, 13:02
Bob thanks for all your contributions! Take a break and perhaps after a while you just want to return. Perhaps some things have changed, but a lot stayed the same as well.

Cheers,
huub

dharris
May 4th, 2011, 13:11
We've never spoken Helldiver, but former Navy guys, just don't give up, they just go around, take a break, refresh your self, and get back in the fray. We need the "experience" of us old guys, to try to make others see what they are in for if they let their guard down, just my humble opinion, Don

Bone
May 4th, 2011, 13:17
It wouldn't be a slight to your manhood to just take a break, but if hanging it up is what you really want, then a man's got to do what a man's got to do.

I would like to say something on behalf of the CAF, which you pretty much ripped in that other thread. Back in the day when I lived in Dallas, I would go to the Lancaster airport and visit with that element of the CAF. They had Navy birds...an R4D, two F4U corsairs, and some SNJ's (which I got a few rides in). You could eat off of those planes they were so well taken care of. Many of the people who took care of and flew them were WWII vets, who were mechs and pilots on these same type planes in WWII. Then later when I flew freight, I would go to Midland, TX alot, and I almost always had some time to go and visit the CAF hangar there. They had ALOT of vintage planes that you could eat off of, and most of those guys were WWII vets. Those guys were just like you, Helldiver, except they were still doing the real thing. They were keeping it alive for everyone to SEE, TOUCH, FEEL, SMELL, HEAR, and just in general be in awe of. Some of those old guys are still doing it, and they'll do it until they die.

I know you feel like you've been disrespected by many here at SOH, so I was kind of shocked to read your comments toward the CAF. They've done an incredible job of keeping it real for an entire nation over the last 40 years...on second thought, let me say they've performed miracles. Guys like you, Helldiver, performing miracles.

bstolle
May 4th, 2011, 13:19
+1 well said!

jankees
May 4th, 2011, 14:11
HD, thanks for all the information you shared with usabout how it really was.
All the best, and who knows, we may see you back, somtimes a break is all you need!

forgeknight
May 4th, 2011, 14:38
Well if I'm thinking it I bet others are to so I'll say it. Who cares. Your attitude really sucks and I'll be glad to see you go. I am in the field of historical archaeology, I work in correcting or verifying history all the time. You know sometimes people who were there only see a small part of the picture and so their views are biased because the whole picture tells a different story. And guess what the people who write those books didnt make crap up, they did research, they talked to people who were also there, and they put a lot of time and effort into tryign to get it right. People here give you a pass cause your an old vet, well guess what, I'm getting to be an old vet myself and the time as come to put a stop to it. So good riddance, take your close minded viewpoint and fly it right off the horizon!

expat
May 4th, 2011, 14:45
My late father was a contemporary of yours and served in the USN until the war ended. All your posts Bob are greeted with a grin by a loving son who misses his Dad and your gritty and curdmudgeonly humor bring him back to life. Take a break. Don't bother about the "kids" here. There are so many of us that cannot believe you saw e.g. Tiger Cats, Hellcats and Bearcats landing at KNIP and KNQQ in real time. You were there!

Roger
May 4th, 2011, 14:51
Whoa!
forgeknight you have a real problem with manners and respect for your elders.
Sorry Bob your thread's closed.