PDA

View Full Version : FSX and NVidia Optimus...

Xilence
May 1st, 2011, 11:02
Hey everyone!

So I've been looking around a lot for a solution and have been unable to come up with something that works... My problem is the following:

I bought a new laptop after my previous one died (of overheating ><). I spent near a 1000 euros on this one thinking it would be good enough to handle most games. Since one of my favorite games is FSX I even spent a little more for more memory.

Now, I have a laptop with a NVidia GT 540M, which should be more than capable of running FSX. Problem however is that damned Optimus technology. Even after setting all the settings for FSX to "High-Performance NVIDIA processor" it still doesn't use the power of the GT 540m. The only device FSX finds is HD Intel Graphics Processor.

Is there anyone familiar with Optimus technology? Because I really hate having spent so much money (for a student) on a laptop and ending up with nothing ... ><

warchild
May 1st, 2011, 12:56
I dont lnow anything about Oprimus, but this thread may be a good starting point on your search..

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=174446

warchild
May 1st, 2011, 13:09
Here's a better page.. http://tw1.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?action=printpage;topic=31922.0

Xilence
May 2nd, 2011, 08:11
Unfortunately that did not help me. Concluding from my searchings there is no way to manually force Optimus to use the Graphics Card... I guess Im gonna have to wait untill Nvidia fixes it...

Rezabrya
May 2nd, 2011, 10:27
I am using a Lenovo Thinkpad, so it may be different. I have the same card as you though, and in the bios there is a way to make the laptop only use the GPU. You can set it to Optimus, discretet graphics, or integrated graphics. You could try that.

Xilence
May 2nd, 2011, 13:37
Thanks for the suggestion. Indeed other laptops have that option but unfortunately mine does not... :(

Weird thing is that when I run FSX, the Nvidia GPU Activity monitor reports the usage of it's discrete card for FSX. However in the options I can only select the Intel(R) HD Graphics Family 0.0...

Could you check for me what graphics device your FSX uses? Is it the Intel HD one or your Nvidia card?

Rezabrya
May 2nd, 2011, 19:55
I would but I can't. I don't have FSX on my laptop. There might be something in the fsx.cfg that you can change manually. I am not sure.

DennyA
May 3rd, 2011, 07:20
Xilence,

Under Settings/Customize/Graphics, there's a section with Device Specific Options, where set your resolution, target frame rate, etc.

Did you try clicking the arrow next to Device to see if it would let you select the Nvidia adapter?

Xilence
May 3rd, 2011, 07:46
Xilence,

Under Settings/Customize/Graphics, there's a section with Device Specific Options, where set your resolution, target frame rate, etc.

Did you try clicking the arrow next to Device to see if it would let you select the Nvidia adapter?

Ofcourse I tried that. I sort of figured it out though, I can only use the Intel HD Graphics Family 0.0 device when using DirectX10 Preview mode. The GT540M is only detected when I'm flying in DX9... Strange and unfortunate, since the GT540M is a DX11 capable card :\...